Quantcast

Is it possible to use a PS3 as a set top box, replace cable box with?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by deadringer28, Oct 6, 2013.

1. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

I want to be able to control all aspects of the PS3 through my GS7 not just the BD remote functions. I want to be able to get navigate the entire GUI. I am a cord cutter and would like to have my PS3 replace Live TV and have it be ready for Netflix or games as all times. I don't want to have to use the Bluetooth remote for the PS3 though. Is this possible?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It may be possible but I don't think it is a good option. The advanced audio codecs, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Digital TrueHD, and possibly PCM 5.1 used with Blu-ray, including PS3 games on Blu-ray discs, probably won't be passed through the NSZ-GS7/GS8 HDMI input/output. Of course game playing will still require the game controller, therefore that controller will need to be close by even if some other functions can be controlled by the NSZ-GS7/GS8 controller. I have a PS3 and NSZ-GS7 and I sure wouldn't connect the PS3 in that manner.

3. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

Chris. Thanks for the reply. I only use a sound bar on the TV that this is connected to so the sound options are not really a problem for me. Seems Netflix on my GS7 causes all kinds of issues with the device. Most importantly appears to be that it causes Plex to behave badly. If I could resolve this issue then really my only reason for having the PS3 connected to the input would be to have it so my kids don't have to change inputs on the TV.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013