Quantcast

Is Google TV dead???

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by SteveH, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SteveH

SteveH New Member

I bought a Logitech Revue back in December and was really happy with it's features and applications but by now I really expected to see a lot more development of apps from Google. What's going on? Is this as far as Google TV goes? Did I waste my $$. I guess I am just very disappointed in a product that I thought could have given us so much more

2. harley man

harley man New Member

google has said the app market will come in spring of 2011 we are almost there

3. SteveH

SteveH New Member

It just amazes me how a company can release a product to the market with little or no applications for its use. Basically all it is now is WEB TV

4. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

Webtv is dead so I guess google tv is Dead. I have heard rumors that google has dropped support for google tv.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

Well those rumors are just rumors. Google during May 10th - 11th at their I/O conference will have sessions directed for developers of apps on Google TV devices. I'd call holding sessions for developers of Google TV apps support. Also Google's support pages for Google TV are still up and running to get self help support. And your statement that "Google has dropped support" is inacurate to begin with because Google never offered any direct contact support for consumers as they refer you to get contact support from the supplier of the hardware you purchased. Debunking those rumors that you are spreading was just too easy.

Plenty of support from Google here and links to the manufactures:
    http://www.google.com/support/googletv/

SteveH's comments are just an opinion, and a valid one. Your comment however is misinformation. I've read all your posts to this forum and I'd have to say you seem to be a pretty dissatisfied Revue owner. Why didn't you return it if you are so dissatisfied. How are you helping this community by posting your negative comments? If your aim is to educate potential new buyers that is a valid point, but perhaps some more tact on your part could be more beneficial and helpful. Most of your negative comments have to do with the fact that Google TV can't do this or that and that the app market isn't open. Google always said it would not open until Spring of 2011. Until that time passes (without launching the app market) you can't justifiably lay negative judgement on Google.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  6. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

When making claim like this you should provide a source. This antic was tried before and Logitech against it own policy came out and smashed that rumor. Rumors do no good for anybody.

Edited spelling

My iPads spell check pisses me off more than GTV

7. digdow

digdow New Member

Neither does Google releasing a product to the public. Than basically abandoning the platform or making any PR statements about the future of the product. Google TV has almost been out for 6 months. Nothing has improved or changed.

8. galfert

galfert Active Member

You are wrong....Google TV has been out for 4 months not 6. And 4 is not almost 6 in my book. You can't call abandonment after 4 months. Not when in late December we got a major update (that was 2 months ago). And 2 is definately not almost 6. Also as to your PR statements I will counter that by reminding you that Google always said App Market Support comming in Spring 2011. Also as my previous post stated you can't claim abandonment by Google if they are about to hold a major conference for developers and they have special sessions directed at application development on Google TV.

Also realize that things didn't all go as Google had hoped just 2 weeks after launching Google TV with the major networks and Hulu. Google has stated that they are in talks with these providers of media and that they are working on negociations. These things take time. Google really wants to come to an agreement with these providers, but realize that even if they don't come out successful from these negociations Google has an ace in their back pocket. Want to know what that ace is? It is the app market. Once the app market opens we won't need these agreements from these content providers as there will be developers explioting ways to get that content to Google TV and Google won't have to do it as the developement comunity will then solve this problem.

Sorry that things haven't progresses as fast as you had hoped. But if you had cared to actually listen to what PR statements Google has had about Google TV you would realize that you are just being impatient as Google so far has stayed true to their word.

9. harley man

harley man New Member

i 100% agree come on guys this is not june and there is no app market its not even spring yet give google time to get it right and its not all that bad now .

10. harley man

harley man New Member

i 100 % agree .

11. galfert

galfert Active Member

To all you naysayers you may also have missed that we have a member on this forum that works for Google and he pokes his head in here from time time time. His username is GTV Daniel and just today he visited this this site. I'd call that support! And a sign that Google TV is not Dead and it is still being supported by Google. Wake up people! This is a reality check.

GTV Daniel's posts:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/search.php?searchid=46147

12. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I'll start out by saying, it's not even spring yet... You can not say they did't do this, or, they didn't do that!

Should the apps have been out there by now, perhaps. But, they did say spring!!!
    Rumors, please, you can speculate, but don't plain start rumors because you are unhappy!!

We all want this just as fast as everybody else, but, GTV will start flipping out apps very soon, and when they do, my feelings are that many will come at once.

You don't want them to throw out apps to the public, and then they have an issue, then you will blame them even more.

Trust me, they are the ones working on them, they know what is going on, unfortunately, we would like a little more knowledge of what they are doing,
    again, they did say spring, they don't have to tell us the time of day when it will happen.....

13. digdow

digdow New Member

When companies release a platform. They don't sell the hardware that far away from the releasing the software. Especially a huge company like Google. That's my one and only real gripe with Google TV.

Last Fall when Google was all tooting their horn how great GTV was going to be. Then the networks took their ball and went home. Ever since then, Google has been pretty mum on everything.

I was hoping at the Honeycomb event they would at least mention this little thing called GTV. But nothing. I'm just personally bummed I purchased a NSX46GT1 when they first hit the shelves in October. My bad. By the time anything gets rolling on this GTV app store. I have a feeling the GT2 will be out. Then guess what! Most of the cool apps and such will be only compatible with the GT2 or whatever. I've seen this happen over & over.... With other hardware and platforms. I know that's just the early adopters curse.

14. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Completely agree with you digdow. AFAIK, other than the limited applications available that I use now (Netflix, Pandora, Napster) which are not perfect but work pretty well, I consider my GTV/Revue DEAD unless they release new capabilities very soon. Yes - it was my decision to invest $$$ in this thing - but I anticipate, if they don't deliver more soon, using some other platform for HDTV in the future.

I hope Google is monitoring this thread...

15. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

It's My Understanding that, Google Sees All :p
    I personally have faith that something good will eventually come out of these devices.

16. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

What will happen if very soon only turns out to be soon will GTV still be dead to you.

17. SteveH

SteveH New Member

talk about over reacting to a post

18. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Talk about starting ridiculous rumors

19. galfert

galfert Active Member

20. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

It seems that the google app store will be aimed at gaming for the big screen or coach potatoes.
    I hope that logitech will allow dolby digital streaming through the HDMI port.

Sony has stated that it will discontinue the google tv line. So to Sony google tv is dead.