Quantcast

Is Google TV 2.0 just a software update or a new hardware too?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by sumon, Sep 26, 2011.

1. sumon

sumon New Member

Is Google TV 2.0 just a software update or a new hardware too?I am planning to by a new Google TV but would like to wait if a new hardware (TV) is going to be released soon.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There is no official stance either way. For now, its just considered to be the software update which includes the Honeycomb and the Android Market for Google TV. There hasn't been any official announcement for the next hardware revisions.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

People are referring to the upcoming Google TV Honeycomb update (with android market) as Google TV 2.0. So in answer to your question it is just a software update (and it will work with our existing hardware). There might be new hardware coming down the line - however only Vizio has officially confirmed new Google TVs to be coming out this fall. There will eventually be new hardware - but nothing else has 'officially' been confirmed yet.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything that tells me there is an official Google TV 2.0, some references to 2.0 relate to the upcoming software update, others are to upcoming hardware. The question can't be answered with any meaning really, it is clear the current hardware is going to be able to handle the upcoming software update to 3.1 but I am pretty sure our screens aren't going to indicate Google TV 2.0 after being updated and I am pretty sure the next generation of hardware isn't going to say Google TV 2.0 on the box. It is very possible the next generation of hardware will be able to do things the first generation can't do and might get software updates that aren't available for first generation products. Unless Google releases an official statement, all we can do is speculate but I can say if you are the type of person that doesn't want to be caught with hardware that isn't up to date and able to handle all features of next year's Google TV, you would be wise to avoid buying first generation Google TV products until we know more.

For me, I can live with the current Logitech Revue hardware long term so I have two of them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Raketemensch

Raketemensch New Member

Considering the fact that Logitech is now selling Revues at a loss, I don't think hardware manufacturers are exactly lining up to make GoogleTV 2.0 hardware...

Let's hope the new release is at least vaguely useful, right now it's a pale comparison to Boxee or a PC/Mac running XBMC or Plex. You would think that, when releasing a video product, they would cram in as much codec support as possible. Instead, they went in the other direction. And I understand that some people are OK with DLNA, but personally it's always been a completely unnecessary hassle. The hardware has the ability to transcode pretty much anything and pump it out the HDMI port, the software to do so has existed for a decade, so why would they leave it out?

Google's slow to get things rolling, it takes a couple of iterations before their products are solid, and I'm really looking forward to what's coming up.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It's a misconception that the Logitech Revues are being sold at a loss. During the last Investor Relation Webcast, Guerrino De Luca inferred that the price point for the Revue was set too high and over valued. Later during the call he also explained that lowering the MSRP was meant to get customer interest in the box. He is confident that selling the Logitech Revue with slim profit margin will allow Logitech achieve better penetration in the Digital Home Market, so that they can sell their complementary accessories and products.

7. ChrisG8

I didn't see that statement but there is no way Logitech is doing anything but losing money at the current price, $99. Logitech might actually receive $70 each sale, probably less and I am absolutely certain the Revue isn't being manufactured for $70. There was an article about Logitech taking about $34 million dollar loss to write the inventory down with the decision to firesale the remaining inventory, which was most of the units manufactured that weren't returned I would suspect. Any loss disclosed by Logitech will be offset slightly by the accessories sales, which are profitable, the mini keyboard, camera, IR blaster, etc. but on the Revue, if manufacturing cost are less than $120 each I would be surprised. If Logitech only loses $34 million on the Revue and smart TV accessories this year combined, I would be surprised. I just found an article on the announcement I had recalled.

DailyTech - Logitech Posts Quarterly Loss, Replaces CEO, Drops Revue Price to $99

If $99 is approximately breakeven, you can't write off $34 million for reducing the sales price, the inventory should be on the books at cost. Some write off of R&D may have been appropriate but that is for a tax expert to explain.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I wrote an excerpt transcript from the original webcast (Listen to Webcast, Prepared Remarks, Slide Presentation , Press Release) long time ago and posted it several places. Here it is again for your reading pleasure,

You also have to understand that Logitech makes the most of their revenue through selling their goods in bulk to their distributors not to end users. So, they already have made a profit before the product even reaches the retail chains.

9. ChrisG8

I am sorry, there is no evidence presented that Logitech has done anything other than lose money on the Revue, lots of money. That is all management and marketing double speak, not real financial results. The distributors taking any quantity of the Revue when the price was high have returned almost all of it or been given refunds to adjust their inventory to current wholesale prices or they never paid for any of it in the first place, only accepted it to be paid for when sold. My point that Logitech would be lucky to receive $70 per unit on the Revue is probably generous. After packaging, shipping, customer returns, etc. an average loss of $50 per unit is my guess. After warranty costs, customer service costs, free system update costs, and any other direct costs, the loss on the Revue is going to be large but we won't know what it is until official financial results are released, actual financial statements. Logitech could make it up on the second generation product, manufacturing costs for tech products like these go down quickly, the second generation can be more powerful and manufactured for less. The Revue results are so bad, we may not see a second generation product. I consider the product a technological success and financial disaster, not uncommon in their business.

Logitech's current financial situation may not be very good although the company has the profitable Harmony line and some profitable PC accessory products. I am not sure about the Squeezebox, a low volume, high margin product is my guess but it is critical to not be stuck with much inventory for those products. I fully expect to see news releases and articles speculating that Logitech is in dire financial condition very soon. Logitech may end up as an acquisition by a larger corporation if my guess is correct. Had the Revue been a success, things would be very different.

We can discuss the matter further when we have financial statements to read.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It won't be long, in a couple of days there is going to be another webcast for this quarters results. As someone who invests in LOGI stock for over five years, I hope you don't mind if place more faith in Guerrino De Luca's words over your "perception and feelings" of the news reported by sensational journalists.

11. garypen

garypen New Member

I used to live over there. But, I moved. So, I'm h
    I can see why. No executive has ever lied or otherwise obfuscated the truth in order to make their company seem to be performing better than it is in order to manipulate stock price. We can trust them to always speak honestly, and do the right thing.

12. ChrisG8

He will try to spin the stock price drop from around $22 to less than $8, that is from memory and can't be right but it isn't far off, as not as dire as it looks but he won't spin the loss on the Revue, it won't be mentioned or an admission of huge losses will be admitted. I am a psychic and my Revue is able to access content from the future. I also have a house with quite a number of Logitech products being used and my girlfriend's iPhone is the one Apple product in the household, I don't have any Apple at all.

I personally hope Logitech will have an announcement of a second generation Google TV box but this could be the end of the line and Google TV will be found on displays and Blu-ray players only next generation, I don't know. I don't need another display and don't need another Blu-ray player, I am pretty sure I am not alone in that position, and I hope Logitech has the balls to try again.

13. bukzin

bukzin New Member

14. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

That link is for the developer's testing leak, and it less stable that the standard OS.