Quantcast

Is Google Creating A $35 HDMI Dongle Called Chromekey?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 8, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Is Google Creating a $35 HDMI Dongle Called Chromekey? ? Droid Life (click for full article)

by Kellex - June 7, 2013

"The week leading up to Google I/O, we received a tip that mentioned the possibility of Google announcing a product called Chromekey. At the time, we thought this was going to be an HDMI-style dongle that could plug in to any monitor or TV in order to make Chrome OS accessible on any screen at a low price point.

While we still believe there is an HDMI-style dongle in the works called Chromekey, new information points towards it being more of a receiver, that can interact with your smartphone, tablet, or computer to extend not only a Chrome experience, but also streaming video and other content to your TV.

Let's talk about what we think we know. "

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Interesting !! would it cut into GTV market? ....

funny.. i posted before reading your second post ..:D

4. CatfishRivers

Google to launch Chromekey HDMI dongle for mirroring? - Pocket-lint (click for full article)

by Elyse Bitters - June 7, 2013

"Google is allegedly developing an HDMI dongle for televisions that displays mirrored content from a mobile device or computer, according to a new report.

Droid-Life on Friday called the device a Chromekey and said it basically allows users to cast the Chrome browser on a larger screen, stream videos and access apps from smaller screens like phones, tablets and computers. It will possibly also mirror content from YouTube, Google Play and Netflix and bring up websites like Hulu, ABC and Google Maps.

The larger screen will need an HDMI port for the Chromekey. Then, once connected, the Chromekey will use a USB cable for power, sync to a local Wi-Fi network and auto-update to new software. As for specs, Chromekey will sport a single core processor, 2GB of storage, 512MB of RAM, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, VP8 for Chrome mirroring, CEC compatibility, 1080p video resolution and a USB adapter.

Google's Chrome browser will purportedly receive an update soon that allows mirroring to other screens - followed by a presumed update to the mobile versions that includes a "CAST" icon. The icon will light up and let users know when they've connected to a larger screen. In addition, future apps could have built-in "CAST" support for mirroring with just the press of a button.

Chromekey will cost $35 on Google Play, Best Buy and Amazon. Google might provide free shipping for those who pre-order the device, though. Citing unnamed sources, Droid-Life originally thought Chromekey would launch at Google I/O in May, but now it could release in the "coming months".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. CatfishRivers

Well according to article you will be able to use the upcoming GTV dongle to mirror from another device and get Hulu on the big screen. Also with a desktop computer you will have the latest Flash on big screen. Or if already have a Nexus 7 just buy the $35 dongle for a big screen TV experience. I know this isn't GTV - but IMO if I was a GTV hardware partner I'd be a little "antsy" about this Google Chromekey dongle.

6. CatfishRivers

From what I gather if you already have a desktop computer and a GTV device - you can currently use the "Chromemote" Chrome extension to fling content from your PC to your TV (via GTV). So if that is your primary goal - from what I gather you wouldn't need to spend $35 for the upcoming Google Chromekey dongle.

However Chromemote doesn't work with mobile devices. Chromemote also doesn't currently work with Chromebooks.

Chromemote - The Google TV Remote Control for Chrome

*Note: Chromemote only flings URLs (and not actual mirroring). The bottom line is that Chromemote content only works on GTV if it would otherwise be natively supported on GTV.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't use the Chromemote app but I do use Google TV in conjunction with a PC often, it is a very useful combination for my needs. I guess $35 is a pretty good price if somebody needs what this device does but I don't see using it on the same display with Google TV. I can see that it might be competition to Google TV for a narrow market segment.

8. CatfishRivers

Well IMO if the $35 dongle only mirrors videos stored on devices along with YouTube videos and apps & content from Google Play - it won't be very successful. The key to success will be if the dongle offers full mirroring of web sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, the TV networks, etc.

It really remains to be seen if the dongle will offer full-scale mirroring of all apps and web sites - or just some subset of content that can be mirrored.

9. CatfishRivers

Chromekey vs Google TV | GTVsource.com (click for full article)

by Edgar Cervantes - June 7, 2013

"Rarely do rumors upset me as much as today, but this one really hits right in the gut for any Google TV fan. Google is said to be working on a dongle called Chromekey. The product would be able to mirror any device's Chrome browser to a TV."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013