Quantcast

Is Co-Star right for me?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by breakaway, Sep 1, 2012.

1. breakaway

breakaway New Member

What i want: I want to play Amazon Prime videos on my TV. I want to stream videos from my computer.

I figured I was going to buy a Roku after the Revue had bad reviews. I figured I would do a Google search about set top boxes, and the best ones for Amazon Prime videos... I stumbled across the Co-Star page ,and eventually came to this forum for the reviews.

Any help answering these questions, and mainly, is Co-Star right for me (it looks slick).

1) I saw in a review someone said that there is no Amazon videos app? How does this play the Amazon video content. This is the main reason I am looking at Co-Star and other similar products.

2) Does it work okay with DirecTV? Does the pass through work without glitches? Does the search function search my DirecTV DVR content?

Thanks!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime videos are played through the web browser and the Co-Star is somewhat limited for playing local files so without knowing what type of files you have to play, it is difficult to say whether or not it would be a good choice but based on what little information you provide, my answer would be no. The Roku players are popular and handle the limited functions offered very well, the apps are well designed but the Roku doesn't do what I want and frankly, I think it is for people wanting very simple and very limited.

No other streaming media player other than Google TV I am aware of offers HDMI pass through, it works well with most any STB and display with the rare exception when there are HDCP handshake issues created. DirecTV has always done a great job with proper implementation of HDMI output and it should work well but without knowing DVR model and display make and model, nobody can offer first hand experience with the specific combination you have although I would expect no problems. No, as far as I know the Co-Star can not search recorded content on your DirecTV DVR, not yet at least, maybe some day.

Nothing wanted but Amazon Prime and local files, I would look elsewhere but I don't have a suggestion for best choice.

3. rschauby

rschauby New Member

Get a Playstation 3. Best Amazon Prime interface available by far.

4. breakaway

breakaway New Member

Thanks for the in-depth reply...

How is Amazon Prime video in the browser on the Co-Star? Solid?

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If I were you, I would take the advice of people who actually own a Co-Star .... I have played several flicks from Amazon via the web browser with no problems, awesome video resolution quality ... Since I discovered "Twonky" and I have no limitation playing just about any local media file format .... I cannot speak on DirectTV DVR search, just call Vizio and get the 411 (Info) from them ... I have owned a Roku XS, WD Streaming Media Player and a Boxee Box, I rather roll with the Co-Star 24/7, smooth as silk ....

6. breakaway

breakaway New Member

I saw the twonky stuff in the few pages of the reviews I did get through. Sounded promising!

Thanks a ton... hopefully Sept 9th is the date I can order my new Co-Star!

7. ChrisG8

I just registered my PS3 with Amazon, I get a free month of Amazon Prime for doing so, guess I will use it, cancel Hulu Plus, and see how well I like the PS3 app. The PS3 Hulu Plus app is really good also in my opinion. The Google TV Chrome browser has played Amazon Video well enough but a native app is probably going to be a nice improvement.

8. ChrisG8

The OP can read about using Google TV for Amazon Prime Instant Video and Amazon Instant Video here:

Amazon.com Help: Amazon Instant Video on Google TV

One shortcoming is no HD movie rentals but otherwise it works well enough, I can just download HD movie rentals to a TiVo to watch or use a PS3 until that ability is added.

9. ChrisG8

I was thinking about this again since I signed up for Amazon Prime and I don't think there is a worse choice than the Co-Star for these two purposes. I know some recommendations for the Co-Star were offered for your needs. Right now Google TV won't even play Amazon movies in HD, there is a message that is coming soon to Google TV but as of now, not possible. If you look at the file types supported by the Co-Star and don't find what you want, I sure wouldn't hope that support is coming. I like Google TV better than any other streaming box I own but just for those two purposes, it is the worst I own as of the way things stand now and have stood for as long as I have owned Google TV. I use a PS3 or TiVo for Amazon movies in HD and the PS3 app is so much better than Google TV for Amazon Prime Instant Video, I rarely use Google TV at all for Amazon Video of any type. If other things that Google TV handles properly were more important, the Co-Star would certainly be a good choice but just for those two, no way in my opinion.