Quantcast

Is Cablevision Really Ready To Give Up Television?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 5, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Is Cablevision really ready to give up television? ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - August 5, 2013

SUMMARY:
    Cablevision's CEO rarely watches any TV at all, and his kids prefer to stream Netflix. Now he's thinking about becoming the country's biggest cord cutter.

-- "Cablevision CEO James Dolan may go down as the biggest cord cutter in cable TV's history: The elusive chief executive of the nation's fifth-largest cable operator told the Wall Street Journal this weekend that Cablevision may one day drop the television part of its business, and concentrate on just selling broadband instead.

Dolan also told the Journal that the pay TV industry is living in a bubble, and its customers aren't interested in the big bundles offered to them anymore, with younger viewers increasingly turning to online video instead. Case in point: Dolan's own kids prefer to watch things on Netflix instead of cable."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would say fire the idiot if I was a Cablevision stockholder.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Kinda hard to fire the owner.

4. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I agree w/him. How many times I've tried to stay w/cable only to find the new strategy is to avoid contracts and only stay w/them as long as the discount offers last. Then there are times when you accept the 2 yr contract because the discount is far greater than the early disconnect fee. Cox knows this but can't seem to change its approach. All these cable companies and even Direct TV must switch to a loyalty program that only offers discounts to longterm users.

Only a fool or the rich would submit to a policy that allows for newcomers and the discount savvy subscribers to benefit off the backs of their (cable companies) most loyal customers. I've lived in Norfolk VA for about 17 years. I can't imagine how much I would have paid if I didn't drop service every few years and take advantage of the discounts being offered. And now it requires disconnecting or renegotiating my subscription every six months w/all the increases and taxes. And still the networks are fighting for more fees while they increase advertisement til the average viewer cannot stomach it any more.

I watched two trials on HLN. The commercials ran on average about every three minutes of court time. MSNBC has developed editorial commercials that is even harder to stomach. Newsmen trying to brainwash viewers w/editorial commentary in the form of advertisement. Good Grief Charlie Brown!

Yeah, the big boys of cable will survive. But smaller companies will not! And the big boys will soon get more desperate as profit margins decline.

Cable and/or the networks have gotta change, even without taking the internet into consideration.

It's that simple...

JMHO

Carl

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013