Quantcast

Is anyone planning on watching NBCOLYMPICS.COM "Live Extra" on Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by MGraffam, Jul 10, 2012.

1. MGraffam

MGraffam New Member

Is anyone planning on watching NBCOLYMPICS.COM "Live Extra" on Google TV? I have registered through my cable provider to access the 3000+ hours of live HD streaming from London, but I cannot login through my Revue box or my Sony Google TV box. Any advice?

Thanks,

Mark

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not interested in doing it but try generic user agent, if that doesn't work, it might be that NBC has blocked Google TV from accessing that special streaming service. I definitely want to see everything Phelps, Lochte, basketball and Bolt along with catching any new athletes that are making noise but it is my hope, NBC over the air will provide all I want since I don't have cable. I might try to find some of the NBC and affiliate channel websites to see if I have access with Google TV or a PC but my viewing of the Olympics is likely going to be way less than I have access to.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Since this requires authentication of a cable/satellite TV subscription I don't think that this is something that NBC would deliberately block on ANY device. That being said NBC is now owned by Comcast - as such the problem is likely to be that GTV is not supported due to "technical reasons". In this particular instance on the NBC Olympics web site it says that Chrome 16 (or higher) is needed to view the live streams. GTV is currently on Chrome 11 (that's what I have on my Revue currently with OS 3.1):

Get Ready For Live Extra - Watch The 2012 Summer Olympics Live Online | NBC Olympics

From the NBC Olympics web site:

"Q: What are the system and operating requirements for accessing and watching live video on NBCOlympics.com?

A: You must have Flash enabled in one of the following browsers:

Internet Explorer v8 and above
    Firefox v3.6 and above
    Chrome v16 and above
    Safari v5 and above

Go here to download the latest Adobe Flash Player."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  4. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I might try to access this service. I'm interested in playability issues.

5. ChrisG8

It appears it is blocked just by requiring a more recent version of Chrome. Of course any PC user can just update their Chrome version, while Google TV users are just blocked.

6. CatfishRivers

Well if you asked Comcast/NBC I'm sure they wouldn't readily admit that they have blocked GTV devices from viewing the live Olympics. I've been through all this "nonsense" with trying to stream videos from the Xfinity TV web site.

Most of the videos there don't work on my Revue. I've posted in the Comcast forums and the mods claim that Comcast would never "deliberately" block GTV from their Xfinity TV service. (It's always some technical mumbo-jumbo why GTV doesn't work with their Xfinity TV site - such as a lot of the videos require Microsoft Silverlight).

But in a sense I agree with you Chris - this could very well be a "roundabout" way for Comcast/NBC to block Google TV - without having to admit to it. (They just claim it's not their fault that Google TV doesn't meet the technical requirements). -:(

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  7. halox

halox New Member

Any chance of sideloading the "NBC Olympics Live Extra" app? I haven't tried it myself, but that might be an option.

8. martink

martink New Member

My thought too. I saw someone posted the apk and sideloaded it via dropbox but no go: I just got a force close. I'm a bit of a newbie on sideloading but I think I did it right. I'd love to be proven wrong or have someone show us how! As it is I'm stumped.

9. CatfishRivers

That NBC android app is designed for android phones and tablets - and my hunch is that it uses NDK. Google TV doesn't support NDK.

10. CatfishRivers

Well I just found out that the live streaming of the Olympics from the NBC web site - was based on a partnership between YouTube and NBC. YouTube designed the live player on the NBC web site. Geez Google knows that GTV only has Chrome 11 - so couldn't they have pushed for a player that worked with GTV??? Strange... Apparently YouTube designed the NBC android apps for the Olympics also.

Streaming the Olympics: How YouTube and NBC do it — Online Video News

From the article:

"YouTube is in charge of the streaming for NBC's ambitious online coverage of the 2012 London Olympics, delivering some 3,500 hours of live coverage from the event on the web and through native apps. Here's an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at this cooperation."

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  11. halox

halox New Member

Yes ... I suppose that would make it too easy for the developers, and too awesome for the end users.

12. triplereef

triplereef New Member

Craziness, if i wasn't so passive aggressive, i'd break out some aggressive aggressive for this one! any other thoughts? has anyone tried using the app on their android phone and streaming it in over airplay? i tried several different user agent strings for qualified versions of chrome and none worked. Im a bit of a simpleton and havnt tried this "sideload' thing you speak of> is it possible to sideload a different browser app and run it through there? Help me obi-google forums, you're my only hope

13. ChrisG8

You can't sideload an updated Chrome browser to Google TV, at least not yet and probably never. NBC, Hulu and several other sites don't want the streaming boxes to access their streaming content, therefore they don't. I don't blame Google, it is a business decision on part of the networks so I use a laptop to access those sites and Google TV for everything accessible with Google TV but I would rather use Google TV for everything streaming.

14. Hlathay

Hlathay New Member

I think the problem is much greater than just NBC Live Extra and Google TV. I think it is a content provider/device issue. I have tried to login to both NBC Live Extra (owned by Comcast) and Cartoon Network (owned by Turner) using my login to Direct TV and my sisters login to Cox. And I have tried this on each web browser for Google TV, a Galaxy Tab running Android, a Galaxy Nexus phone running Android and even an HP Touchpad. All of those devices can play video through their respective browsers, but no matter what combination I try, after logging into the cable subscriber, nothing happens. My guess is that just like you can't watch Hulu or full NBC shows on a tablet's browser, the content providers (fox, ABC, NBC etc.) are continuing to block video to certain devices, even when you have a subscription to cable. The issue in my opinion is that the content providers really want you to do most of your tv watching via cable tv so you can watch the prime time commercials, which is how the content providers make most of their money. An odd exception is the IPad Cartoon Network App, where you can watch full episodes if you login with your cable credentials. Don't get me started on the obvious reason why cable companies have created the login model-can anyone say Cord cutting?

15. MGraffam

MGraffam New Member

I've watched a little of the "Live Extra" on NBCOlympics.com on a pc. The frame dropout rate is unacceptable for me.
    The events that are not simulcasts with the NBC TV channels have no commentary by announcers. So, I don't feel that
    Google TV users are missing anything.

Attributing complex, logical strategies to companies of any size would be a mistake, in most cases. I think that
    Comcast-NBC-Google-Youtube would think that it was a miracle that they got this to "work" at all. Remember
    the expectations they set for "live internet" for the 2010 Olympics? I doubt they gave Google TV a thought in this
    project. Is Google giving Google TV any more thoughts, in general?

16. MGraffam

MGraffam New Member

Has anyone else noticed that NBCOlympics.com is advertizing "Live Event"
    on this website?

17. jt000

jt000 New Member

I can watch the live event on 46" sony google tv. It doesn't need any setting.

18. zen2go

zen2go New Member

Of course, but can you watch live streaming on Nbcolympics.com?

19. Dave

Dave New Member

Probably not worth trying now that the games are almost over, but I wonder if sideloading Dolphin browser or a newer version of Android Chrome would have worked around this.

This should have been the best Olympics ever for viewing. NBC running 7 different cable networks to broadcast content all day long, 3500 hours of "live" coverage online! But all too difficult to access or restricted to certain devices. The BBC didn't do much better (even with a UK VPN connection I couldn't watch on my Nexus 7 due to screen size limitations - NBC at least played on it).

20. CatfishRivers

The Dolphin browser doesn't play Flash on GTV. It's because of the way Flash is baked into the GTV OS. No other Chrome browser except the one that is included with the GTV OS update will work with GTV either. GTV currently has a modified version of Flash 11.