Quantcast

Is anyone going to return their Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by JimMariner, Oct 21, 2010.

1. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

2. natey1

natey1 New Member

I'm considering it - if the trend continues with sites blocking TV devices I'll just build an HTPC and stick with it, but its pretty good so far.

3. Karen

Karen New Member

I think I am not going to even buy one for now. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

I was under the impression that one could web surf on the big screen. Apparently, that isn't so. It might ultimately get what you can get on a smart phone, but it does not yet have full internet capabilities. It might find you a video to play, but how about things other than entertainment? How about research or documents or blogging? It sounds like an "app" is required for every site you want to visit on the web. I suppose this is why you can only "search", and there is nowhere to enter a url. It also sounds like you can't even visit your own website (or that of your hosting service). Not to mention that many (as above) entertainment sites will be blocked. If they are not blocked from my laptop, why are they blocked from GTV? That makes no sense to me. If I can't 'pirate' something from my laptop, how could I pirate it from GTV?

I hope some of you tech savvy guys have some answers.

4. Brian

Brian New Member

Here is a few answers,

They can block GTV because of the "User agent" User agent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

You can put in a web address and go to that page.

BTW I have played some games with my kids on it.

I not going to go in to how to pirate, but for now you can only do it with the Logitech (Sony is working on it) and you need to stream the files from you Laptop.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. andcbii

andcbii New Member

I feel the same way. No Hulu ftl... more then 1/2 the reason i bought the google TV was to bring the web to my television. If i can not use the web sites i want to then it's kind of useless.

6. nagmier

nagmier New Member

You can surf regular websites with no issue, there is a full featured browser the issue lies where content providers (ala networks) specifically block GoogleTV just like Hulu did with Android Smartphones so in effect yes you can browse wikipedia or 97% of the rest of the sites out there.

Now thats what I "understand" I haven't had any hands on time yet though I will be able to fully answer that question next week when my Revue arrives

• Like Like x 2
  7. Karen

Karen New Member

nagmier,

I can't wait for your hands-on reports!

8. andcbii

andcbii New Member

Other then Hulu i haven't had a problem. Other web sites work just fine.

9. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID New Member

Yes, returning it later today. $400 was to steep for what is essentially a Blu Ray Player ($100), Roku ($90), + a limited Chrome browser. As an OTA / DTV Broadcast user, this was not the right choice for me. I can't do picture in picture or utilize the search function.

10. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Nagmier and andcbii are correct. Google TV imposes no limits on your browsing capabilities; the only difficulty is that certain content providers are, for the moment, blocking access to the streaming video content on their websites. You can still access non-video content on abc.com, cbs.com etc. A few important points to keep in mind:

-Content providers are NOT blocking their regular TV or cable content on the TV. You can still watch ABC and CBS through your regular cable feed.
    -Despite media reports, online streaming from NBC is NOT currently blocked.
    -The vast majority of content providers have not restricted access to their streaming material-- for example, check out the wide variety of offerings at fox.com (House, Glee, Family Guy).

Actually, you can also enter URLs into the Quick Search Box, just as you would in the URL field of your browser. There's been some confusion about this in the reviews-- in actual fact, Google TV makes it very easy to enter a URL. Good news! As to the second point, you can definitely access your own website, and pretty much any other website.

@Eddog4DROID: So sorry you weren't satisfied. May I ask what problems you ran into with the PiP and search function?

-Daniel
    Google TV team

• Like Like x 6
  11. nagmier

nagmier New Member

GTV Daniel Thanks for chiming in! And its also great to see Googlers making an appearance in the community, I'm an Android Power user and plan to try and take my GTV box to the max, I'm also a freelance developer and can't wait to get my hands on the SDK.

I don't see why content providers are having such a problem with this, it still runs the same ads in between, at the beginning and on the webpages themselves so its not like they are losing out on ad $$$ the only difference I see is that they may only be charging those advertisers a "small screen" or internet rate versus a broadcast/OTA rate for normal TV programming... either way I don't see that as a Google issue sounds like an advertising model issue... If they remain blocked on the streaming side all it will do is push people to torrents or other means of accessing the content... sad but true...

12. andcbii

andcbii New Member

I think his problem is that the PIP only works with the HDMI in. From what i can tell from using the sony device the only time the PIP works is when the HDMI video feed is in the smaller box. If you are getting your tv OTA(Over the Air) you aren't using this HDMI in connection. You would have to change the input of your TV from HDMI(GTV) to antenna to watch regular TV. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to search to see what's on though....

13. ballamatic

ballamatic New Member

I bought the NSZ-GT1 yesterday, and I will stick with it. I too have faith that Google and the networks will figure out a way to make the content happen. I have a Directv box hooked in as well and love the search and what's on features.

14. Karen

Karen New Member

GTV Daniel,

Thank you so much for being here. Most of the people here are pretty tech savvy (except me). You have answered some questions for me that were making me hesitant about buying the device in the first place. I will have more questions as time goes on (due to travel plans I will not buy the device until early Nov.).

I (and others) think it pretty much sucks that the included remotes (Sony and Logitech) are not backlit. Those of us that already have Harmony remotes from Logitech think it sucks that the brand new remote is not as capable - supports fewer devices AND does not support 'activities'. Perhaps these are things you can suggest to them for future releases of Google TV.

15. outbackpaul

outbackpaul New Member

I thought I saw where the included keyboard with the Revue was backlit. I'm confused until I get mine from Dish.

16. Karen

Karen New Member

I am pretty sure the Mini with the slide out keyboard (not included) is backlit. The Revue site does not say if the included keyboard is backlit or not (NOT has been the general consensus so far). Those who have them already have not said one way or the other. I think they are too busy playing with GTV! Maybe JimMariner will confirm when he updates his post this evening.

17. crbrigance

crbrigance New Member

For sports people, I was succesfull in using the Google TV with ESPN3, CSTV XXL and Channelsurfing. Although, Channelsurfing did require a Veetle download on one event and I was not able to download Veetle.

18. Karen

Karen New Member

crbrigance confirms that the included keyboard/remote is NOT backlit.

19. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv New Member

I have a Revue, unfortunately not a backlight on the stock keyboard. I don't have a STB, so no TV yet, but I'll be reviewing options to get TV in without a cable or satellite set-top box. Even without TV, it's doing DLNA much better than my TV ever did, so I'm still happy!

20. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Can you give us more detail about this streaming...what server/what file types are you having success with, etc...