Quantcast

Is a fix coming for the audio problem?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Jacksmyname, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi all.
    As I'm sure most of you know, the audio output from the Revue via HDMI is 5.1/7.1(?). Because of that, connecting the Revue to an audio/video receiver via HDMI doesn't give us the ability to use a receiver for 5.1/7.1 full surround.
    The work around is to use an optical cable for the audio.
    Does anyone know if/when a fix is coming?

Thanks.
    Jack

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

FIXED.

This particular audio issue is the result of the Revue not bit streaming the HDMI audio. The Revue will decode the audio signal to allow the Google TV sound effects to be injected into the stream. However, the output is encoded as a 7.1 multichannel LPCM regardless of the originating signal. If the set-top box outputs stereo audio then the Revue will map the channels respectively within the confines of the 7.1 channels. Unfortunately, most receivers cannot perform post processing to fill the other speakers because the remaining channels are present but silent.

The workaround in this situation is to use an optical audio cable and set the Optical Audio Output to PCM. The audio signal will then be encoded into a two channel LPCM stream which would allow the AV Receiver to employ Dolby Pro-Logic or other DSP effects. However, in order to appreciate the full sound capacity when the set-top box is actually streaming a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, one is required to manually switch back to HDMI audio or switch the Optical Audio Output from PCM to Dolby Digital

Obviously, this should have been fixed long ago. However, since Google released the Android 3.1 SDK in February, it seems to be a coincidence that further enhancements and bug fixes began to dwindle in the remaining system updates.

Revue & Google TV Updates
    There is a consensus that Logitech's developers are placing all their efforts into 3.1 despite Google not living up to their promises on delivery. If this is the case, many of us have been left to ponder why Logitech didn't deploy a contingency plan for support when Google has failed to meet their expectations on more than one occasion.

3. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Thanks eferz.
    I don't have my cable box in the mix right now for video; just using opitcal for the audio to my AVR. My cable company uses Motorola boxes. As you know, they're a problem with HDMI.
    So, it's Revue>TV via HDMI, and Revue>AVR via optical.
    I'd like to be able to use the TV functions of the Revue, but it's not critical. I use a Harmony One remote, so switching from my GoogleTV activity to my Watch TV activity is easy enough.
    Thanks again.

4. garypen

garypen New Member

I used to live over there. But, I moved. So, I'm h
    I'm not sure what you people who claim to be passing thru DD5.1 via HDMI are doing to make it so. But, my two Revues take perfectly good DD5.1 from my STB, and turn it into stereo PCM crap. It may actually be 5/7.1 PCM. But, it is only sending a L/R mix. (A crappy, compressed-sounding L/R mix, at that.)

Using an optical audio cable is not a workaround, as all that does is output a true stereo signal that your AVR can use to simulate 7/5.1. But, it doesn't restore the original DD5.1. As such, it is useless to me.

Until Logitech fixes this major (and basic) bug, I am no longer passing signal thru it from my STB. I have connected the Revue to its own input, and view it as a standalone web device like I used to do with my Roku before Panasonic added the same net apps I was using on the Roku, rendering it moot.

5. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi Gary. Want to make sure I understand what you're doing.
    You have the HDMI output from the Revue to an HDMI input on your receiver, with no connections from your STB; is that correct?
    If so, does 5.1 audio work correctly for you with Netflix and/or Amazon? My receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800) decodes all the audio codecs.
    As I posted, I don't have my Motorola box in the mix due to limitations with HDMI. I also use the Revue as a seperate component in my system. Works ok with optical for audio, but of course I'd like to get the best audio I can.
    Thanks.

6. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

Optical is the best connection for audio

7. garypen

garypen New Member

That is the way I currently have it connected, as it was destroying the DD audio from my STB (Dish 722k). I hope they fix that that giant gaping hole of a bug when they update the OS.

I will have to specifically check the Netflix audio output, and let you know what I find, as I haven't been using the Netflix app in the Revue. I use my Panasonic BD player for that. (Same goes for Amazon, as the GTV method of using Chrome vs a dedicated Amazon app really sucks.) However, the reason I started using the BD to begin with was that I thought the Netflix audio was better at the time. So, it's doubtful the Revue is doing what it should be doing.

BTW, I'm using a Yamaha AVR, as well. (RX-A3000)

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Netflix for the Revue currently does not support 5.1 audio. We'll probably have to wait for an update for that.

9. garypen

garypen New Member

Yup. Still not doing it. I don't remember if my Sony GTV had the same shortcoming. Probably.

I'm more annoyed by how the Revue doesn't pass thru DD5.1. I seem to remember my Sony being able to do that OK.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

A lot of people are annoyed with it. It's the same with the video and the audio. The Revue outputs a fixed stage regardless of the incoming signal. This allows the Revue seamlessly inject audio and overlay video to the HDMI signal. Without it, you would either see the screen blanking or a hear rough transition when you active a Google TV activity.

The output video will fixed 720/1080 and the output audio is a fix 7.1 LPCM stream. With video, if you're watching a SD channel then you'll see the original picture resolution within the confines of the high definition resolution; causing a black frame to surround the SD picture. With audio if you're listening to stereo source then the left and right channels will be paired to the according 7.1 channels while leaving the rest silent.

11. garypen

garypen New Member

I haven't seen that issue with video, as my STB upscales SD to full screen 1080. But, the audio issue was so annoying, I had to remove my STB feed, and use the Revue as a standalone device, as I mentioned above.

There is no legitimate reason that they can't pass-thru DD from the source, and mix the Revue audio into a bitstream signal. Actually, I see no reason to mix anything. I don't need to hear their stupid blips and bloops while in TV mode.

12. donatom3

donatom3 New Member

The Netflix in the latest 3.1 debug that came out yesterday does do 5.1 audio to my receiver (via optical and HDMI), but I still have the same problem as Gary. My DirecTV DVR passes through DD 5.1 fine through optical and HDMI but the review doesn't take the DD from the DirecTV reciever and pass it through. Only the left and right channel have audio.

13. GTVWaiting

GTVWaiting New Member

Trying to set up simple audio to old Technics receiver/amp with RCA audio cables. Ran them from r/l audio jacks on back of GTV to VCR/TV jack on receiver, but got no sound from speakers on tv or Pandora. Tried switching GTV set up for sound with no tv speakers, but still nothing. Anyone know why this logical connection isn't producing sound? It's nothing fancy. Just simple stereo speaker sound.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Logitech Revue doesn't have Right & Left Audio Jacks, it only has HDMI out and SPDIF out.
    [​IMG]
    Are you plugging in your sound system through the IR Blaster ports?

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Without DSP effects, Revue seem to output surround sound from all 5 speakers (Cntr/LF/RT/RL/RR ) over optical digital cable in TV-mode when an STB is connected thru Revue and bitstream 5.1DD content is played.

You may have to make sure that the STB audio-out is set to [pass thru] & not [Auto] or [L-PCM] and set Revue setting > [Picture&Sound] >[Optical audio out] select Dolby Digital. also set the Yamaha [DSP Program] to [Straight].
    Note: AVR will continuously display ....<5.1 Dolby Digital >

Also, Without DSP effects, Revue seem to output (PCM) surround sound from all 5 speakers (ft/Lf/Rt/Rl/Rr ) via HDMI cable in TV-mode when an STB is connected thru Revue and bitstream 5.1DD content is played.
    make sure that the STB audio-out is set to [pass thru].
    Note: AVR will display ....<PCM >

You could also test it by connecting Roku > Revue & play 5.1DD content from Amazon VOD channel on Roku.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  16. GTVWaiting

GTVWaiting New Member

I'm using the Sony Google TV 40" and not the Revue. The GTV has simple L/R audio jacks, but using them to connect to a sound system with a typical RCA audio cable (white/red) doesn't produce sound, as one would think. I don't fully understand the IR blaster technology and I don't think my receiver will work with it anyway. I built the receiver/amp myself with a little help many years ago. I like the way it works as opposed to the newer models, but I don't think it has the IR Blaster technology....Not sure.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, okay. May I ask you a few questions?

1. Did you notice that this is the Logitech Revue forum not the Sony Internet TV forum?
    2. Did you notice that the audio left and right jacks are INPUT jacks not OUTPUT jacks?
    3. Did you notice page 6 of the Quick Setup Guide that came with the Sony Internet TV?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  18. dandf22572

dandf22572 New Member

Just noticed this issue tonight when I got my Onkyo Surround hooked back up. The revue isn't passing dolby digital through it. I hope this is fixed soon. Does anyone know if I connect the optical out of the revue will I get DD from my STB or do I need to connect the STB directly to my surround to get DD?

19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Connect the optical out of the Revue to your Onkyo, you should be able to get Dolby digital Surround sound from all 5 speakers (CNTR/LF/RT/SL/SR). the Onkyo should also display ...< Dolby digital>...

- Make sure that the STB audio-out is set to [pass thought] & not set to [Auto] or [L-PCM].
    These setting can be found in the STB menu, for some Moto STB you may have to turn off the STB and immediately select menu (caution here!). refer to STB manual

-From Revue go to Application >setting > [Picture&Sound] >[Optical audio out] & select Dolby Digital.

Good Luck!

20. edcokpareke

edcokpareke New Member

As so many have already noted, this issue occurs because the Revue puts out a signal to ALL 7.1 channels on your AVR, regardless of what input is fed into it. As a result, if the input source is stereo, you AVR is fooled into thinking there's a full 7.1 signal coming in, so it doesn't do any sort of processing (Pro Logic II, DTS Neo, etc) of the stereo signal, and every thing but your L & R remain silent.

Unlike most of you though, I suspect this is a hardware limitation. This is such a bone-headed and embarrassing issue, that Logitech would have fixed it immediately they realized it existed. One year on, we still have no fix.

WORKAROUND: DO NOT use the SPDIF output from the Revue as a workaround. As others have said, it spits out stereo, so it lets your AVR fill in the extra channels. However, if the actual STB input is real 5.1 or 7.1, it'll still feed stereo, and you have to get into the Revue's menu to switch from Stereo PCM to DD5.1.

So....instead of using the SPDIF from the Revue, simply connect your STB to your AVR using either optical or coax digital audio, IN ADDITION to connecting through the Revue via HDMI. Pretty much all AVR's out there will allow you to receive video from HDMI but match it to audio from some other input. For instance, Yamaha's and Onkyo's have an "Audio Select" or "Input Select" button that let's you select what audio source you'd like to use to match an HDMI video input source (from HDMI to optical, to analog audio). So, hookup the STB to the AVR, and select the audio input on the AVR accordingly.

The only problem with this approach (and this is a much more bearable compromise than switching from PCM to DD5.1 in the revue) is that if you're playing an internet audio source generated by the Revue (Youtube, Netflix, Pandora, etc), you'd need to cycle the "Audio Select" back to the Revue's HDMI input again. No biggy...just hit the button on your AVR remote.

Anyhoo - I'm a new Revue customer, but I'm extremely disappointed in it's performance so far.