Quantcast

Is 3D the Kiss of Death?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rickaren, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Is 3D the Kiss of Death?

ARTICLE DATE: 07.28.11

3D TV sales are not doing well. Advertisements for 3D TV experiences have all but vanished from the airwaves. 3D movies are tanking and even when the movies are hits, more people are seeing the films in 2D than 3D. Now 3D is set to claim another victim, the pretty cool Nintendo 3DS portable gaming handheld. It's still around, mind you, but Nintendo just dropped the price a whopping 32%.

Nintendo has sold over 800,000 units since the product launched in June. That sounds like a lot until you realize Microsoft sold 2.5 million Kinect for Xbox 360 motion capture devices in less than a month and 8 million in sixty days. The 3DS is not a hit.

Continued Here

2. bidger

bidger Member

I wouldn't say 3D has been an outstanding success, but I wouldn't gauge it a failure based on Nintendo 3DS sales. It's XBox360 and PS3 users that will determine whether 3D makes a dent in the gaming market IMO. But, as a non-gamer I really don't see anything that compelling to force me to buy a 3D set at this time.

3. thedude

thedude Member

I will agree with that. I have a 3D home theater setup and it gets used the most with the PS3. It lends a level of realism that is really nice.

I think the citing of the 3DS as evidence that 3D is the kiss of death ignores a lot of other device shortcomings. In addition to the 3D being a bad implementation (and a device parents must police so their kids don't damage their eyes), it is seriously uninspired.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk