Quantcast

IR Blaster with Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by saurabh_191, Aug 24, 2012.

1. saurabh_191

saurabh_191 New Member

I just bought LG Google TV (55G2). I already have a Sony Blu Ray Player with Home Theater System (BDVHZ970W)

I have connected
    Cable setup box to TV
    BDVHZ970W to TV (For BluRay)
    TV to
    BDVHZ970W (For Sound Amplifier)
    I am able to configure BDVHZ970W as a blu ray player but not as a sound amplifier because there is no preset code for the device in amplifier setting. It exists in the Bluray menu and that is why I was able to set it as blurray.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to connect these devices?

2. saurabh_191

saurabh_191 New Member

Is there any solution to this problem?

3. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

IR blaster support for an amp is done differently from input devices. Go to Settings > Options > Audio amplifier. Hope that works for you.

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i would not describe what you have as a 'problem' since that implies that the G2 is broken when its working just fine in your case. its simply that the TV just does not support your set up. thats like saying a universal remote control is broken because it cant control a device that it has no codes for.

my suggestion is to set up the Sony device as a BD player (since it is not supported as an amplifier) and use it that way, or use it separately with its own remote...which is better any ways.

5. saurabh_191

saurabh_191 New Member

Fomol60,
    You sound like a developer of google tv who is defending the wrong choices made. If the universal remote control cant control a device that it has no codes for, it is broken for the user. It is supposed to be "universal".

Anyways coming to the issue at hand, my setup is exactly what google has recommended. I am open to suggestion to change the setup. I earlier had my receiver as a central hub and then connect receiver to Google tv. That was causing issue with google tv as google tv wants cable to be connected directly from cable box to google tv. Now tv is the hub and everything connects to the tv and then there is optical out from tv to the receiver.

To solve the volume remote issue, I have three options:
    1. Use two remote as suggested by you.
    Find a way to get LG magic remote control the volume of my Sony receiver.
    3. Get an universal remote and link everything to that remote

Currently I am using option 1 but I do not like that. I would really prefer option 2.

I am thinking of going with option 3 but I would prefer all my receivers and routers to be hidden so I will have to find the right remote that will allow me to do that. That is the reason I liked IR blaster because that allowed everything to be hidden. I will also have to make sure that the universal remote works with the speech recognition and google search. And I am sure that if one of the feature doesn't work, I will receive the same answer from the universal code manufacturer, that I received from you: "The remote is not broken, it just doesn't support my devices" :)

6. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

LG now provides a free app called "IR DB Updater" in the Google Play store. You might want to try that to see if it adds support for your device.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would think the Sony BDVHZ970W uses the same code as other Sony HT and Sony AV Receivers. Have I missed the information about you trying many other Sony codes? Of course no universal remote control will control every device and it is absurd to think it should, if that was the requirement to be called a universal remote control, we would not have any that could be called universal.

If you haven't already, try some other codes to set it up as an amplifier for the purpose of controlling the volume from the same era AVRs and HTIBs to see if anything works.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

STR-DH820, STR-DN1020, CMT-DH50R, and DAV-C450 are a few I would try. The dashes may or not be necessary, I don't know. I am probably fortunate I have only HDTVs and AVRs that are mainstream and have always been available in the Google TV device code database.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

That's an unreasonably high standard even for a learning universal remote. I think it's on the customer to make sure that a new piece of equipment is going to work with existing equipment, or else be ready to replace the old equipment, or return the new gear.

Of course, work arounds are always good, and I've personally gone through a lot of pains to create some in my time that most people wouldn't be bothered.

And it never hurts to notify the company that they're missing a code, but I wouldn't let my return period expire waiting for them to do something about it.

10. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

maybe you dont understand how universal remotes work. if it can control other devices then its working fine, but if it cant control that one specific device, it is not broken, it is just not compatible. it would be incorrect to say it is broken for the customer because its not broken. it would be more accurate and actually correct to say that the universal remote is not compatible with the setup that the consumer has chosen to use.

have you tried using the APP 'IR Database update' ? that should be in your list of apps, or you can search in the app store for it. that app will update the IR database that the TV uses. essentially the database that Google has put together does not have the IR frequencies for your specific device. Google will just need to keep adding to the database. it would be quite unreasonable to assume that any universal remote would contain information for every device in the world.

if the 'IR database update' app doesnt do it for you, just keep trying and eventually or maybe never, it will work. or you can keep using the remote to the HTS like you are now, or you can get a fancy universal remote like one of those Logitec Harmony remotes.

11. saurabh_191

saurabh_191 New Member

Maybe you are right, maybe I am wrong.

I still did not find a solution though...Tried IR database update [great suggestion...Did not know such app existed] Also tried all the IR frequencies available...I am surprised that there is no option to manually enter the IR code... Anyways I do not think this option would work EVER.

So I am now moving to the third option 'Invest in an universal remote'. Any suggestion, which remote would be good with LG google tv and Sony products?