Quantcast

IPTV, i.e. BBC iplayer, ITV Player etc

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by gadgetuser, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gadgetuser

gadgetuser New Member

Hi guys, I'm currently using the Logitech Review in the UK. Can someone tell me please how I can access BBC iplayer, ITV Player and the other 2 IPTVs available in the UK. Is it via the web or is there an app to download. Thanks and excellent forum.:)

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There is no Android Market available to the Revue at its present form, so you would forced to gain access through the web browser. Just keep in mind that the Revue isn't officially supported outside of the United States, so your mileage may vary.

3. gadgetuser

gadgetuser New Member

efwrz, thanks for the reply. Any workarounds, or is the only way to watch IPTV is via web as detained. In the UK there are 5 IPTV (or on demand) channels, the 2 I mentioned previously and 4 & 5 OD. One of the main reasons I bought the Revue was for that purpose. Other than that (with your knowledge) can you see and other benefits of using the Revue in the UK. Thanks

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hopefully this post would give you an idea...

5. gadgetuser

gadgetuser New Member

Thanks. Read the post and the Live TV icon on my Revue is currently monochrome?? So I assume it's not step up yet or not set correctly? The above link relates to the Honeycomb upgrade, which I note isn't fully functioning and/or advisable to do so. Any other suggestions?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're looking at the "Live TV" bookmark from the "Bookmark" widget of the Home screen. That's a generic icon for links which use the "tv://" Uniform Resource Identifier (URI). Normally, if you bookmark a television channel whose logo and call station are associated by the channel listing provider, you would see those instead.

The "Live TV" bookmark and the "TV" shortcut in the "Application" widget will both bring you into the app which allow you to view whatever is configured for the HDMI inputs of the Logitech Revue.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

To use the Google TV browser for content that is Geographically restricted to the UK - I believe you would need 2 things. 1) An ip address from the UK 2) you must set the time zone and location of your Google TV to match that of the UK. This can be done in the settings - HOWEVER I noticed that geographic location on Google TV is determined by entering a 5 digit USA zip code. There is no way to enter a postal code that is not exactly 5 digits. So I think this would be a problem.......

8. rrrobertsson

rrrobertsson New Member

just set up public proxy

9. CatfishRivers

How does it work with a proxy? (Most free proxies I tried aren't good for video streaming because they don't have enough bandwidth - but I think a paid proxy might work?)

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't think he has a problem with "Geographical Restrictions" to UK sites since he wrote...

I believe if there is "local" content which is inaccessible to him its probably due to device segregation web programming which I had mentioned in my second post.

11. gadgetuser

gadgetuser New Member

Thanks guys for all your help with this. Accessed all the relevant IPTVs via their websites and saved them as a bookmark - so all ok :cool:

12. CatfishRivers

It's great to know that the Revue works good outside of the USA. I was just looking at some New Zealand sites - and they said that in order to view the content they check my time zone as well as ip address. So apparently entering a postal code into Google TV is a non-factor for being able to access local content outside of USA. However I still think it would be a good idea to enter your correct time zone in the settings (as some sites outside USA say they check the user time zone).