Quantcast

IPPea TV Adds Android 4.0 To Any Big Screen TV (Video)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 11, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

iPPea TV Adds Android 4.0 to Any Big Screen TV (video) | GadgetReview (click for full article)"Back in May we told you about Pocket TV. It effectively adds Google TV to any HDMI enabled set and includes built-in WiFi as well as a USB port for adding a hard drive or storage array of your choosing. The only downside to the device? The price tag of $99, which is on par with the cost of the Revue box by Logitech. However, that box takes up space, space that many people may not have, especially if they mounted their big screen to the wall. The alternative? iPPea TV Dongle.The World's Smallest MIPS Portable Android PC:Unlike Pocket TV, the iPPea TV Dongle costs just $50, but with that discount in price comes a small sacrifice. Instead of a full blown Google TV experience, you’ll be relegated to an experience more analogous to that of a smartphone. That said, it will ship with Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, so you’ll be able to enjoy the newest features from Google, but expect the usability to be less HTPC friendly.In terms of specs, the iPPea TV dongle will include built-in WiFi N, MIPS-Based XBurst™ CPU running at 1.2 GHz, USB 2.0 connectivity (not clear if you can add a storage array), a microSD card slot, and support for full HD video in most formats. Optional accessories include a 3D + gyro wireless key mouse, USB RJ45 LAN adaptor, HDMI extension cable and 360 degree HDMI connector."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

The $50 price tag sounds enticing. But the question I have is this: Since IPPea TV runs on the MIPS platform (and not ARM) - will this mean that there are a smaller number of compatible apps (compared to if it was running ARM)?

3. CatfishRivers

I found this article from a couple months back about MIPS on android devices:

Google may bundle MIPS support with Android

From the article:

"In terms of software support, as much as 85 percent of Android apps run on the OS's Dalvik virtual machine interpreter. But as many as 80,000 of the half a million apps in the Android online store run natively, targeting the ARM architecture."

and also

"A MIPS emulator called MagiCode is already available as a download so users can run ARM-based Android apps on a MIPS system."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read somewhere else that the MagiCode MIPS emulator works - but not all that great. Something like about 70% effective.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. millgate

millgate New Member

Hello,

I've played and replayed the iPPEA promo video; yet you said ... "Instead of a full blown Google TV experience, you'll be relegated to an experience more analogous to that of a smartphone." ... and I cannot see the evidence to support that.

Please explain. Thanks.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

To get that person's perspective, you need to ask the person being quoted, the person writing the review. See the quotes after the statement, it isn't Catfish making the claim. We could only speculate, I have no interest in the world's tiniest MIPS PC but for starters if I wanted to answer for that person and try to speculate, I suspect no Google TV specific app can be installed to run on this device which leads me to believe it won't be like the full Google TV experience. If you are interested, it is only $50 and might be well worth that price.

6. CatfishRivers

Hi! Yes Chris is correct in that those were words from an article that I reposted. However my interpretation is that IPPea TV is essentially android TV - and not the official Google TV OS. As such the main difference is that there are no HDMI overlays to input with your cable TV/satellite TV source. You would essentially have the ability to surf the web, view videos, download apps that you could do with any android device on android 4.0 - only it will be displayed on your television.

A couple of things that I noticed: Your TV needs to have a USB port (to power the IPPea TV device) - or you will need a power converter. Also the mini-controller costs extra and shipping is $15. A package deal including the mini-controller plus a few cables is $72 plus $15 shipping. And on top of this - as I mentioned if your TV doesn't have a USB port you will need to buy a power converter. (Or you could use a USB port on another device to power the IPPea TV) They ship the product from Taiwan I believe. I'll post a few links with more information:

The official press release with more detailed information, including info. about processor etc:

MIPS-Based(TM) iPPea Device Brings 'Smart' Android(TM) Experience to any HDMI-Enabled DTV for $50 - MarketWatch

Here is a link to the IPPea TV web site and their estore, forum, etc.:

http://www.ippea.com/products-page

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Aren't there a lot of these Android TV devices that made and sold by Chinese sites and on ebay. But that Kickstarter project seems interesting.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Android TV devices but very little discussion here about the devices, I quickly dismissed all I read about in favor of Google TV, along with dismissing all other streaming boxes, including Apple TV, Roku, Boxee, etc. As far as Kickstarter, see this report.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014