Quantcast

Introducing the New Netflix Experience on Roku 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Roku 3 will leap above Google TV on the list of devices for Netflix.

Introducing the New Netflix Experience on Roku [VIDEO] | The Official Roku Blog

Lots of whining in the comment section about older Roku models not getting the upgrade. The sense of entitlement some have after buying a $50 to $100 device is amazing to me. I don't know if the new version of Netflix can be adapted to the older models or lower end current models. The Netflix app as it is now on Roku is inferior to Google TV's version so I don't use it but buying a Roku 3 may now be on the list of future purchases. Of course Roku wants to sell new boxes and this is one way to accomplish that goal.

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Chris, no one wants to have a closet full of streaming boxes that are now obsolete. Especially as each new unit seems to have a shorter upgrade lifespan than the last. If ya gotta toss these units after a few years, then the cost in waste (not in initial price paid) will begin to be felt & understandably resented. There has to be a better way. The offer of an upgrade or exchange of the current units at cost w/credit for the initial purchase.

The waste in material alone would be staggering especially if the new units make Roku more popular after each upgrade. I like to test whether any practice makes sense by multiplying the current user-base by a few million. So, 6 million Roku box users buy a new unit every three or four years. As each unit add enhancements that expand the user-base the increase in new box sales explodes.

How many dead units in say, 20 yrs...

Carl

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Oh, and that's not counting units per household or TV. When folks like a product they want the convenience of using the unit on several TVs independently. And yes, they can use the obsolete units on lesser used tvs, but then they'll have to remember, oh I can't do this or that on this box.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

New features are generally intended to fuel new sales. If people can still watch NetFlix on a Roku2, I don't really see the problem.

I did try the new NetFlix out on my PS3 last night, and I love the addition of multiple profiles, but I didn't much like their new "Max" feature and the way it grilled me to rate movies. PrimeTime can do this too, but I like how it lets you pick the movies you want to rate.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My point is, I buy things that meet my needs and if newer boxes do more, that is just the way things go. I can still use my Roku boxes and I knew when I purchased them something better would be available before long. For some reason the market for these inexpensive little boxes act like they are entitled to more than they paid for, I just don't get it. Of course if my older Roku boxes are updated, great, but I am sure not going to whine and act like I have been ripped off if it doesn't happen. I only expect the products to perform as the manufacturer represents and none of these boxes included promises of updates to equal all future models.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Most electronics' stores will dispose of electronics for free. Unfortunately, software and hardware are improving rapidly. The days of backward compatibility going back generations of units are over. Backward compatibility is what held back Windows as they kept having to worry about ms-dos, win3.1, win XP, etc ...

Video as a hobby is not for people who are struggling financially.

Philip

7. jonw747

Or as someone astute observed, there's been a market shift. They used to say software was the new hardware, but thanks to ever cheaper and cheaper hardware, we've turned that around and hardware is the new software.

8. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

What percentage of window users still utilize WinXP.A couple of years ago it was still the most popular of all the windows operating systems.Talk about longevity!

9. jonw747

It looks like it's hanging in there at 31% of the desktop O/S market. Win7 has climbed to 46%. OS X 10.8 has 3.3%.

If M$ hadn't stopped selling XP and didn't threaten to stop supporting it, it would certainly be much higher.

Of course the full version of Win7 Pro sells for $269 and does very little for me that XP Pro doesn't do while breaking a number of things I currently do. You can buy a lot of neat gadgets for that much money. By comparison, Google isn't even charging for the upgrade.

10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Well the OSX update is free as well. What Android update are you taking about? I am on the same OS on my Note 8 as when I bought it. Am I supposed to side load it or perhaps compile from source with all the open tools available from Google and Samsung :)?

The windows update to 8 was a very low cost item and the update to 8.1 was free.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110

11. jonw747

If Samsung won't update it, others will. You could re-build it from source, but you don't have to when others are already doing it.

Galaxy Note 8.0 Android Development - xda-developers

With M$ it all depends which version you need. I just see no point paying $200 for an O/S which won't upgrade or support what I already have all for the thrill of trying to get the things that don't work to maybe function in a virtual machine.

12. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Thanks for the link. The Note 8.0 is not an inexpensive tablet and I do use it in front of hundreds so I thought Samsung would be providing the support for the hardware it knows best. It might be fun to try some of those builds under different circumstances. Ten years ago I would have but my Linux and hackintosh days are long gone...

Philip

13. jonw747

It's nice to have options, but it doesn't mean you need to use them. A lot of manufacturers have been really slow with updates, so it's something worth considering when buying a device.

Something like the Note is always a mixed bag. Samsung piles up so many features on top of Android in a product like that, I'm sure it's difficult for them to upgrade to a new version when it comes out. otoh, when you buy a Nexus device, you will get updates quickly until the hardware is unable to run the lastest.

Or there's always the custom ROM community. Personally, I've never gone beyond loading up a rooted version of the latest stock ROM. There is a learning curve but it's likely someone has already prepared a step-by-step guide for whatever you might want to do. Having worked with Linux, it's going to make a lot more sense to you than if you hadn't.