Quantcast

Internet surpasses TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rickaren, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Internet surpasses TV as main news source for young adults

$sw1d7a43.jpg

By: Vi Nguyen

Posted: 1/24/11

Two years ago the Internet surpassed newspapers as the main news source for Americans. Although television's popularity remained higher than Internet, its numbers quickly began to fall. And now, the Internet has surpassed television as a main news source for young adults.

According to a national survey conducted by the Pew Research Center (PRC), since 2007, the number of 18 to 29-year-olds citing the Internet as their main news source for national and international news has nearly doubled to 65 percent. Over this time period, the numbers of those who said television was their prime news source dropped to 52 percent.

"TV network news demographics have been changing for years," said journalism professor, Mike Reilley. "Viewers are getting older and lifestyle and technology changes have impacted viewership of the 5:30 p.m. news."

However, television news is still dominates among less educated young people. According to the PRC, just 29 percent of those with no more than a high school education cited the Internet as their main news source, while three-quarters of the respondents cited television.

While Reilley said the Pew study didn't surprise him, he said, "it does tie quantitative research to what we've long known-the web and mobile technologies are delivering news faster and differently than traditional media, including TV news."

Ricky Green, a senior finance student said he gets his news from iGoogle. , "Users are able to personalize their Google homepage by customizing their news preference," Green said. "I can put in all the big news websites onto one page with the top five to fifteen stories from each website into my feed."

With more and more young adults turning to the Internet for their news, many are beginning to wonder what is to come for broadcast news.

"As someone who grew up watching Walter Cronkite on network news as well as local evening and night newscasts, I'm disappointed to see the sea change," Reilley said. "I think we are a smarter, better-served news consumer when we draw information from multiple platforms," Reilley said making reference to what he called, "the depth of newspapers, the immediacy of TV and radio, and the multimedia aspects of online storytelling."

Andrew Treffy, a recent DePaul English graduate said he is convinced that television will find a way to evolve to the rapidly changing media. "Television still has somewhat of a chance to utilize the medium of the Internet through Internet viral marketing and such."

Most news networks have done so by working with the Internet by taking advantage and utilizing various forms of social media to break news stories. "News networks are well aware of the shift. It's most likely that they're going to work with, and adapt to the change in media source, rather than fight against it," said Treffy.

Many young adults say the Internet makes it convenient for those always on the go to check their news on their smart phones. Krystina Andreoli, a junior vocal performance major, is no stranger to mobile web browsing. "Most people have Internet services on their phones. It makes it easier to access the news because college kids are on the go, and like, don't have time to sit and watch television," she said.

Senior finance student Green agreed with Andreoli. "I don't watch television for any news, other than to turn on ESPN."

Despite television news' falling numbers, Reilley said stories will always need to be told on its medium. "I think there will always be a place for TV news," he said, "especially on the local level"

"As long as advertisers still see it as a valid option, and the audience doesn't completely vanish," Reilley said, "the medium will remain in some form."