Quantcast

Internet connectivity and television

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Internet connectivity and television

3/07/2011

The news is that The Diffusion Group has released a new report about Internet connectivity and television, and I expect that some people will be surprised by the results. According to their study, about one out of three broadband subscribers connect a PC to their television at least once a year. The point is that with all the Internet-enabled HDTVs and Blu-ray players and network media players (such as Roku) available on the market, lots of people are using what I’d call a POPC — plain old personal computer – to put content on their big screen.

And here’s a number that surprised even me. More than one out of six broadband subscribers reportedly use a PC connected to a TV to watch content every day! Based on the number of “cocktail party” conversations I’ve had with friends and family, I haven’t noticed anything close to that high a usage. On the other hand, the report indicates that 18 to 34 year olds are most likely to use a PC to TV connection, and I admit that I don’t spend a lot of time with that demographic these days.

Another encouraging finding is that nearly half of the people using a PC to TV connection are paying something for at least some of the streaming content that they watch. Now, this isn’t all that surprising when you look at the rapidly-growing numbers for the Netflix streaming service, as well as the online rental services. But it also means that piracy is not dominating the marketplace, so there is some hope that this can grow into a economically-feasible marketplace.

I feel this study is flawed unless those PC users are using a TV for their computer monitor! What size is considered a "Big Screen"? To me that is 65" not something in the 30" range either. Guess I could be wrong, but don't think so. What do you think?

Rick

2. Derek

Derek New Member

All studies are flawed, biased or misleading...

I think there is a growing market for people to use their computers and browse the internet from their sofas. Not just as a TV replacement or enhancement.

I feel that the average person is growing increasingly tired of their PCs. To simply check your email or Facebook, you need to turn on your laptop, wait 2-5 minutes for it to boot up, login, wait for it to load antivirus and other bloatware. When you finally get access to use the computer, it starts downloading and installing updates and requires a reboot - starting the entire process over...

People want their "computers" to be simple, functional appliances. Just turn it on and use it. I am not an "Apple fanboy" but Apple has started a revolution - showing people that it is possible to have an instant on internet/application appliance that is simple and functional. The iPhone and iPad have started this revolution and everyone else is scrambling to understand what just happened and what to do about it.

The GTV idea has the potential to compete for a place in this new internet appliance revolution. Putting a simple, cheap, instant on internet appliance in the living room empowers the family with a PC replacement that can compete with the tablet internet appliance that is clearly starting to kill the home PC.

No doubt Google will step up with a good tablet OS that will compete and maybe dominate the tablet war. I just hope that they don't give up on the GTV idea while waging war on Apple.

Rest in Peace Microsoft (1975 - 2012). We loved you.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

Google has an os for the tablet world it is called honeycomb. The first tablet to use honeycomb is in the market place it is the mortola xoom.

4. Derek

Derek New Member

Yes, Honeycomb and the Xoom are a good start. Google will most likely dominate the Tablet (and ultra portable instant on Internet appliances) market in the future. I have not looked at Honeycomb but I am confident that it is only the start of Google's arsenal. What they call their OS is irrelevant. Honeycomb and future enhancements or replacements to it will eventually dominate the Tablet operating system market. Apple will remain a major player but will not likely hold more than 40% market share for very much longer.

5. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

You know when I first posted this Article I was thinking about using a desktop computer not a laptop. (I have both) I guess there may be more that would now use a laptop and hook it to their TV for viewing the Internet. This is why I bought a Google TV box!