Quantcast

Internet Archive: widescreen movies pillarboxed

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by dlflannery, Oct 14, 2011.

1. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

When I full-screen view widescreen movies on the Internet Archives site, using either one of their players, I get a shrunken movie, i.e., both letterboxed AND pillarboxed.

If I do the same thing on a PC using Internet Explorer the movie properly scales (so the width fills the screen).

An example of this is "Beneath the 12-mile Reef" but it happens on other widescreen movies on that site.

Is this a known bug of Chrome ? (I searched both the Google TV and Chrome forums.)

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just went to Internet Archive and played "The Boy In The Plastic Bubble" movie with my Logitech Revue. There were 4 possible ways to play this movie and 3 of them worked.

Clicking on the picture of the movie (where the big onscreen white play arrow is) - provided the movie in a Flash player with a small box on bottom right to click for full screen. For this particular movie full-screen mode with their Flash player was a big 'square' filling up the top & bottom of my TV - with 2 black bars on the left and right.

Also clicking on their MPEG4 and DivX players (the links are on the left side) provided an image size the same as the Flash player in full-screen mode. The only format that didn't play was their "ogg player". So I think the movies do enlarge to full screen - but depending on the movie you might get the big square size or a full rectangle taking up your entire screen.

Here is their "Boy In The Plastic Bubble" movie that I tested. Try it out and let me know what you think:

http://www.archive.org/details/The_Boy_In_The_Plastic_Bubble

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

One other thing I wanted to mention - I know that the Chrome browser in the Revue does play some movies in total full screen mode. Because I have watched many that way. I don't have a computer with Internet Explorer so I can't test that right now - but maybe? there is a difference in the way IE renders some of the movies from Internet Archive in full screen mode.

If you desire a movie such as "Boy In the Plastic Bubble" to totally fill up your entire screen (without black bars on the left & right) - you could go to your television controls and adjust the picture to 'stretch' mode. (I think some TVs call it 'Panoramic' mode). I tried that with my TV and it made the movie fill up my entire screen. However by doing this the movie appears a bit 'stretched' - as it will lose it's correct aspect ratio.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I just started "Beneath the 12-mile Reef" on this widescreen laptop using IE and in fullscreen mode, it played as a widescreen movie within a 4:3 frame, black bars on the sides, top and bottom. Is your PC running IE a 4:3 screen, not widescreen and your Google TV is connected to a widescreen display? If as I expect the answer is yes, you should be able to understand what is going on and it has nothing to do with Chrome vs. IE or Google TV vs. PC but everything to do with whether or not you are watching using a 4:3 or 16x9 display.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  5. ChrisG8

I should have added Internet Archive is my favorite site accessible by Google TV, public domain movies, television shows, and commercials from my chilhood and earlier are a treat for me. Most programming I have watched has an OAR of 1.33:1 or 1.37:1 and offered in the correct aspect ratio.

6. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I should have stated in my original post that my TV is 16:9 (widescreen) format and my laptop is a 4:3 screen. I did mention I was concerned with full-screen mode, in case you missed that.

"The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" is not widescreen but is 4:3 aspect, thus not a suitable example of the problem I'm discussing. BTW it plays as I would expect on my TV, i.e., no letterboxing but with pillarboxing.

For a widescreen movie (which "Beneath the 12-mile Reef" is) I expect the full screen display to use the full width of my TV (no pillarboxing), with letterboxing as needed if the movie's AR is more than 16:9. I get this result on widescreen movies from Netflix, Amazon, Crackle etc. However, as mentioned before, on the Internet Archive widescreen movies I get (full screen mode again) a totally shrunken movie, with black bars on all sides, i.e., letterboxing AND pillarboxing.

I guess proper performance using IE on a 4:3 laptop has little meaning in this case, so let's just pretend I didn't even mention it!

7. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

It turns out there are (at least) 3 versions of "... 12-mile reef" on IA. The one I had been complaining about is the one submitted by SabuCat Productions. All 3 are in the "Feature Films" section and this one is the third one listed in my searches. It appears to be the only one of the 3 that is actually in a widescreen aspect ratio (but it displays in full screen with big black borders on all sides -- my complaint). BTW, the IMDB info for this film says the AR was 2.35:1 .

The other 2 versions appear to be either panned-and-scanned, or horizontally squeezed or clipped to give 4:3 videos, which do display as expected (pillarboxed but not letterboxed). I suspect they are just clipped horizontally since the people and objects don't appear excessively thin, as you would get with squeezing.

So now I'm wondering if IA has widescreen movies that will display properly (full width on TV screen), since I suspect this movie is just a special case. I realize most archived movies are older ones, which are mostly 4:3 AR.

8. ChrisG8

i am not sure what you are trying to say now but my point that the version of the movie I played using IE did exactly the same thing it does with Chrome so there is no bug with Chrome causing the issue you described and your observation of fullscreen playback with your 4:3 PC screen with IE is for the reason I explained, it is a widescreen movie formatted within a 4:3 frame, not anamorphic, not formatted for 16x9. Many films are offered at the correct aspect ratio at Internet Archive but I am certain there are also examples of movies that have been cropped or matting opened up.

9. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

I don't blame you ... like I titled my previous post: Sorry for the confusion!
    I played the movie on my PC with IE and a 16:9 monitor screen and, as for you, it does exactly the same thing it did on the Revue with Chrome.

Thus this is not a Chrome deficiency, and I agree with your analysis of how this particular movie ends up displaying the way it does. Thanks for your responses!

Kind of disappointing but at least in one of the IA players you can use the Revue's scale-up (Ctrl-UpArrow) to make the movie approximately full screen (but with poor resolution of course).

10. ChrisG8

Yes and whether or not it looks better in a small frame or using the zoom feature is a matter of opinion. Internet Archive isn't the site with the best video and audio quality but it is a site with many obscure movies, old and infrequently watched TV shows, advertisements for forgotten products and lots of other oddities.