Quantcast

Interested in buying Revue. But will this work?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by danbrascog1, Dec 14, 2011.

1. danbrascog1

danbrascog1 New Member

iam interested in the revue. i heard flash will work in chrome. is this right?

also i love to watch videos on this site and was wondering if someone can tell me if the videos play on the revue.
    Some of the videos are play in youtube format and others in flash.
    if anyone has the time to see if a couple of the videos play on this site in chrome or otherway
    worldstarhiphop.com

please let me know.
    i would love to be know if this works. it would be great.
    thanks to all

2. madman999

madman999 Member

Flash pretty much works and has worked adequately for me. I have accessed Youtube successfully too.

the browser seems to be a Chrome variant, not exactly the latest version of Chrome but it works for the flash sites I have used. the version of flash is of course an older version 10.2 but seems to work well enough too. I believe it;s not a plug in but integrated into the browser so we are at google;s mercy as far as upgrades and bug fixes.

One thing I havent; been able to test is whether this version of Chrome will handle HTML5 streaming. I tried accessing my content from my Pogoplug throught the my.pogoplug website but came up as an unsupported browser. HTML5 which could be the future of all web streaming development would break us from the idiosyncrasies of Flash.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try using the User Agent string of a supported browser to see if you get different results.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There are different variations of HTML5 such as WebM based on the VP8 codec and then there is an HTML5 based on h.264. YouTube supports HTML5 in 2 ways - with WebM (using VP8 codec) and h.264. Currently the Chrome browser on Google TV doesn't support WebM.

YouTube has a HTML5 beta player that you can opt to use. Not all of the videos on YouTube will play in HTML5 with the beta player (the videos that contain commercials will still play in Flash).

I tried the YouTube HTML5 beta after I got the 3.1 update and it works good with my Revue. Here's the link in case you want to opt in for the HTML5 beta trial on YouTube (you can opt out at any time):

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Note: This is a link to a very good HTML5 browser test (see below). Just go to the site and you will get a numerical score as well as a detailed report as to how and what parts of HTML5 are supported on your browser. (According to the test the Chrome browser on GTV doesn't support WebM - I received a score of 320 + 8 bonus points out of a possible 450 points with my Revue):

http://html5test.com/

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ertore

ertore New Member

Hi danbrascog1, the flash work great and with the honeycomb was upgraded to 10.2 so for US$99.99 worth the money. If you can post the sites you have to watch movies and tv shows, i can post mine too to share with others too.

6. madman999

madman999 Member

another thing I want to try or wonder if anyone has tried-

Install the Skyfire Browser and see if flash sites will play adequately through it since it uses their servers to convert to HTML5.

the more I use flash, the more I think it;s a dead end.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Skyfire will only transcode movies to stream onto their browser. It will not allow other Flash applications to work. Also, the current version on the Android Market will not run on Google TV.

8. axne1

axne1 New Member

Sorry to say google TV is heading for failure.... I'm just saying. I have a 24 in gtv. It sucks???
    Sent using HTC Evo 3d Swype.

9. madman999

madman999 Member

It may already be considered a failure since it hasn't taken off like they envisioned atleast where logitech is concerned but since the update, I have bought 3 more units. That's 3 more than they might have sold.

I have hope for the gtv platform surviving. In its basic form I am just using it has a solid state flash website player browser. Let's see how this can dominate my living room in the near future.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....