Quantcast

Intel's "Compute Stick" w/Linux ($89.) vs. Chromebit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Apr 5, 2015.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Comparing the Intel "Compute Stick" w/Linux ($89.) to the Chromebit, in what way will the Intel product be superior to Chromebit? Or to rephrase, since neither are on store shelves at the moment, in what way is Linux superior to Chrome? I've read that XBMC is something that is immediately available on Linux, but not on Chrome.

With the Chromebox, both Chrome and Linux are available in the one device. I'm wondering if Linux will be sideloadable on the Chromebit, if that's even possible.

Are there any other limitations that one device will have versus the other?

Intel s Compute Stick is a full Windows or Linux PC in an HDMI dongle Ars Technica

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chrome OS doesn't support plug-ins. So there might occasionally be some video streams that aren't compatible - for instance Chrome OS doesn't support Microsoft Silverlight. (Chrome OS does support Flash though).

Actually I believe Flash updates are no longer supported on Linux. (But I think older versions of Flash should still work on Linux). So if you want the latest greatest Flash updates on Linux then you would need to use a Chrome browser because the desktop Chrome browser comes with its own Flash Plug-in (automatically installed in the browser). However Windows would be the most versatile of all three OS - but keep in mind Windows requires more work with anti-virus programs along with other complexities compared to the speed & simplicity of Chrome OS. So there is a tradeoff.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'd instinctively rather have Chrome, because of the auto-updates, sync to Google accounts, ties to Android (apps, etc., auto-updates/other-Android-device-compatible), speed, more "streaming innovative" and "GPU oriented;" set-top boxes availability, cloud system advances, etc. and just the fact that I don't need whatever Windows can do that Chrome can't.

Did I mention controller/ U.I./ TV/user friendly?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member