Quantcast

Intel Plans A CES Coup: Android and Windows In The Same Computer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 3, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Intel plans a CES coup: Android and Windows in the same computer | The Verge (click for full article)

by Sean Hollister - Jan. 3, 2014

-- The PC industry isn't doing so well. Sales have dramatically slumped, despite the industry's efforts to tempt consumers with Windows 8 tablets and transforming touchscreen laptops. But next week, the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas may be the launching pad for a new push - a new brand of computer that runs both Windows and Android.

Sources close to the matter tell The Verge that Intel is behind the idea, and that the chipmaker is working with PC manufacturers on a number of new devices that could be announced at the show. Internally known as "Dual OS," Intel's idea is that Android would run inside of Windows using virtualization techniques, so you could have Android and Windows apps side by side without rebooting your machine.

Read more at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/3/5267360/intel-dual-os-pc-plus-android-windows-microsoft-objection

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Not trying to change the subject but I hope Google has more sense than to get mixed up with a company that was stupid enough to create an OS such a Windows 8.Windows 8 is the biggest crock of dung anyone ever devised! JMHO! :mad:

3. retroben

retroben Active Member

I am with you on that one,overtimeman.
    It is related to the subject,which is Android and Windows.

I would take all of my RAGE for EVERYTHING,and put it into a spirit bomb so I can throw it at Windows 8/8.1 for removing/ruining the Start Menu.
    It was caused by unforgivable stupidity that they thought people wanted their Desktops and Laptops to be more like Windows Phone.

I have said this before,the Windows Phone OS is just fine on an actual phone,but for Desktops and Laptops,HAYUL NO!

The idea of having both kinds on a tablet is awesome,as long as they don't cripple it like Android devices,and give it the full freedom of any Windows PC while working like Windows 7.
    It should also have the proper start menu.

Why does everyone prefer to use stuff like CyanogenMod on their Android devices?
    Because Android's customization always starts at a crippled status.
    It is a lot less difficult to customize a good Windows PC (non-8/8.1 versions).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

From a work point of view, this is ideal for me as I use both OS. I can understand though why people are against an idea.

5. CatfishRivers

LG 'to exit traditional PC market' amid declining sales and profit squeeze | Technology | theguardian.com (click for full article)

by Charles Arthur - Jan. 3, 2014

-- Korea's LG Electronics is said to be preparing to exit the traditional PC market, as worsening margins and sales make it uneconomic, presaging a shift to tablets, smartphones and "hybrid" PCs.

The announcement could come at next week's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, where LG will have one of the first press conferences of the whole event.

According to the Korea Times the company has even considered a wholesale exit from Windows PCs as its sales have shrunk. The conglomerate is struggling to turn itself around as a number of its divisions compete in low-margin sectors such as TV and displays.

Read more at: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/03/lg-exit-pc-market-declining-sales-profit-tablets

6. CatfishRivers

Google?s Chromebooks Have Hit Their Stride | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Frederic Lardinois - Dec. 28, 2013

-- It looks like Microsoft was right to worry about Google's Chromebook project. According to the latest numbers from NPD, Chromebooks accounted for 21 percent of all laptop sales and almost 10 percent of all computer sales to businesses in 2013. That's up from virtually nothing in the year before. Given that Apple is irrelevant in commercial channel sales (it commanded a whopping 1.8 percent of sales), Chromebook's increased share is coming at the cost of Windows.

A few years ago, Chromebooks were a bit of a laughing stock. They were underperforming single-purpose laptops that weren't even good at the only thing they could do (that is, surf the web). Nobody really warmed up to them, despite their low price. Early sales were more than disappointing, and even Google's few hardware partners looked like they were only doing this as a way to court Google's favor. The whole project seemed doomed from the start.

But somehow, Google stuck to its guns and over the last two years, Chromebooks somehow went from being irrelevant to actually making a sizable dent in the laptop market. And not just in the business market. Amazon this week reported that two out of its three best-selling laptops during the holiday season were Chromebooks.

Read more at: http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/28/googles-chromebooks-have-hit-their-stride/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I have Windows 8 on one of my PC and it's just like Windows 7 after installing one of the third-party Start menu add-on such as Classic Shell