Quantcast

Installing Veetle App on Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by frstsaxman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. frstsaxman

frstsaxman New Member

Hi Everyone, I realized this issue has already been touched upon, but not with enough detail for a novice user to apply and not within the last 3 or so months.

How do I install the current android market Veetle app on my logitech revue which now has access to the android market and is Google TV version 2.0? (or how do I get the veetle hd working on my google tv)

I use the app regularly on my android phone and I love it. Some threads have said to back up the app and then install it on the google tv while others have mentioned a shared drop box account while others have said get the install file and email it to yourself. These are all fine suggestions but they don't go into any further detail on how to use these methods.

I don't know how to access or single out the install (I presume apk) file and I don't know how to back up an app to install it on another device. I would prefer to do this without needing to root any of my devices.

Can someone who know how to accomplish this please give detailed (preferably) step by step directions on how to install the android Veetle app on my logitech revue google tv?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. halox

halox New Member

As far as I know, Veetle and Veetle Lite don't work ... but you can try for yourself. I've never attempted them, but others on this forum have.

Step 1 - Install Dropbox on both your Google TV and your cell phone. You can get the app at dropbox.com.
    Step 2 - Install a back-up program on your phone. My favorite is Astro file manager ... Once you launch it, there's a big button on the bottom that says "back up apps."
    Step 3 - On your phone, select the app you want to back-up. Like Veetle. This will make an APK file onto your SD Card.
    Step 4 - Launch Dropbox on your phone. Tell it you want to upload a file, then locate your file on your phone. It'll be in the BACKUPS folder on your SD Card. Upload.
    Step 5 - Open Dropbox on your Google TV. Click on the APK. Install.
    Step 6 - See if it works. If you have orientation problems, try installing orientation control from the market. Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

Note: You can obviously use a USB drive instead of Dropbox ... I only suggest dropbox because it's much easier once you have it set up... Plus, if you have multiple android devices (as I do, between tablets and phones and google TV), it's great to have one hub where I can always access my personal APKs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. frstsaxman

frstsaxman New Member

You are awesome! I would just add 1 note for those who try to use this method and then I have another questions.

As part of step 1: Dropbox cannot be added via the android market for google tv so it has to be installed using the same method as Veetle which makes the first step impossible if you dont know how to do it. So as a method of installing dropbox on my google TV or bypassing the need to install it I just logged into my dropbox account online, downloaded my saved apk file backups and installed them through the browser. I did this for dropbox as well which will eliminate the need to go through my browser dropbox account anymore.

Also, that orientation control app worked really well. Veetle refused to work because it was in portrait mode only but after I installed orientation control via the same method you described, I then found the orientation switcher icon in the "my apps" section and set it to landscape and veetle suddenly opened just fine.

Now that I've got Veetle installed (along with dropbox, orientation control, and flash player 11.1) when I go to watch a channel it asks me to 1) install flash player (which I did) and 2) restart the app (which I did). Each time I try to access any channel it asks me to do this again. So basically it wont actually let me what the live stream channels. Any suggestions?

This was a great way to learn how to install all kinds of fun apps on my logitech revue though. thanks!

4. halox

halox New Member

Glad to help.

Should've mentioned this - you can just go to the Dropbox site from your android device and you'll be able to download the app. Or go here: Dropbox - Simplify your life

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There is no way to install Flash 11 on your own - in a such a manner that it works with GTV.

With GTV Flash is baked into the operating system. As such we can only receive Flash updates if Google gives it to us through an operating system update. Currently GTV is on Flash 10.2