Quantcast

Initial cable setup not yielding full channel range??

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by beenz, Dec 9, 2011.

1. beenz

beenz New Member

Hello, all.:)
    First, I must admit to feeling incredibly stupid right now.:p That said, I am not too proud to ask for help.
    I just bought myself (...er...the household) a new Sony nsx-32GT. And what I've been able to do with it is awesome. Yes, I am upgrading from a 12 or 13 year old analog TV...
    We pulled the TV out of the box and looked at the booklet. After some discussion, we:
    ~tried plugging the coaxial cable straight from the wall into the TV. It found many channels I never knew I had on the analog TV, but not channels like the food network, history, discovery, etc. I do not subscribe to any premium channels. Since some stuff was missing (and working on a TV in another room) I thought I'd/we'd done something wrong so...
    ~I thought I'd try to use the box. Hooked the cable from the wall to the box to the TV and got...two whole analog channels.

I know I am missing something. What is it?:confused::confused:

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that you're referring to a a Cable Box from your provider for "the box" the second time in your previous, and not "the box" that the television came packaged in the earlier statement. It sounds like the you're getting quite a few Clear QAM channels from your provider when you're connecting the cable directly to set. However, the channels you need are encrypted QAM. Therefore, you'll need tune into to the appropriate channel on the TV (usually 3 or 4) then change the channel on the Cable Box. Unfortunately, Sony did not account for this type of setup, so if you choose to remain with that cable box you'll need to use two separate controllers. Otherwise, you should contact your cable company in order to swap that box for one that support HDMI output.

3. beenz

beenz New Member

LOL!! You are so right! There are two types of boxes--silly me. The cardboard one and the motorola one! I will call my provider and see about upgrading. Meanwhile, I may try doing exactly what you described in a little while & I will repost on how it goes. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.

5. beenz

beenz New Member

Well, fantastic! 2 remotes are workin' all the channels. Now-why won't the IR blaster let me use the Sony remote to control the cable box, or is that not really its purpose?

• Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem is that Sony didn't consider sending out IR commands while using the Built-In Tuner. They expected you to change the channel on the television itself and not an external box. That's why you'll need to get an external box that supports HDMI output. You'll be able to configure it with the Sony NSX-32GT1 so that it controls it while you're in the Live TV app.

7. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

I'm going to ask the silly question - based on our experience.... when you told the TV to scan the channels straight from the cable... did you specify analog only or digital only? We opted for both and picked up quite a mix straight off the provider's cable... actually more so than we did with the cable company's box! Needless to say, one less remote and one less power supply :)

8. beenz

beenz New Member

I asked for both and actually did get some different channels than I was used to, but some obvious ones were missing. That's not a silly question. It is interesting that different ones were available and I don't understand why.

eferz, when I get my new box I'll repost and confirm your knowledge ;)

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Excellent! I love having my suggestions confirmed. It kinda blows when people just take your answers and run. So, I will appreciate the feedback.