Quantcast

Information About New Apple TV (Shipping By End Of October)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 30, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

3. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

$200 is too much. $150 even seems a lot though that would depend on the remote and how open the App Store is.

4. ChrisG8

I don't know what price is too much, a new iPhone 6x will cost from about $600 to around $1,100, I don't know exactly but I do know people that have purchased a basic model for $800.

5. ChrisG8

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It sounds pretty expensive, but perhaps can get away with it. I'm curious what they do on the remote control side given how Google and Amazon ran away from creating remotes that could run touch based Apps.

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I still think that $200 is too much. We of course don't know anything about the i/o not how open the App store will be. I'll be happy with a good Plex client. The Fire TV has been disappointing from that perspective.

If the remote is Wii like and Plex is there I will definitely move almost everything back to the Apple TV.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

8. ChrisG8

The three models will probably be priced at $70, $150, and $200, I would say those prices are right and competitive. Whether or not the Apple streaming service will be worth the price is a bigger question for me, I can't imagine there is any way it will be.

9. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

It is hard to say without knowing what the remote will do and what the App store will be like. The $200 price is similar to the NVidia Shield price ( no remote but a game controller) which I suspect has not sold well. I can see the $150 price assuming a Wii controller and Plex in the App store but I have little interest in gaming. Assuming the only difference with the $200 model is 16 vs 8 Gigs of edisk then I think a better pricing would have been 70, 100, 150.

It is important that Apple gets a lot of customers for its video streaming service, call it Apple Video. The $200 price will make that harder.

I think Hulu has just thrown up a real game changer with the no commercial option. Maybe Apple should try to buy them.

The current rumours of Apple Video streaming stuff you already get with cable makes the service seem unappealing. Same old commercials, just a different cable box in a way.

10. jonw747

It's always possible Apple will come out with packages for reduced cost that include a streaming commitment, but yeah, I wouldn't want to lose the ability to skip commercials I enjoy with a DVR.

Anyway, of all the companies in the streaming biz, Apple can probably get away with this, and we'll just have to see where it goes. I doubt they will, but if Apple managed to put their entire App store on the device ... that would grab my attention.

11. CatfishRivers

12. CatfishRivers

13. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Yes and the Plex folks as well as FireCore (Infuse) have tweeted support assuming they get approval. I guess the question is whether or not the App store will frown upon these types of apps. I can't see a problem as Microsoft has welcomed them. Finally, hope of getting rid of that simply terrible Plex on the Fire TV.

14. ChrisG8

I watched the Apple conference, not very exciting presentation but the products were very exciting. The new iPad Pro, a 12.9" tablet looks good although it will be expensive. The new iPhones were very impressive and the Apple TV 4 looks like it can beat Amazon Fire TV and Roku to me but until it is actually in consumer's hands that is just a guess.

Some time was spent bragging about the Apple Watch so I suspect it is not doing very well in the market, in fact it appears clear the iPhone is carrying the company.

15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The iPad Pro and the Apple TV 4 are very exciting. I am not into watches but I found the medical presentation neat though I doubt my interaction with medical facilities will ever be like that. One can only hope I suppose.

Am also not in to cell phones but I really liked what you could do with pictures ( turning them into snippets of video).

16. jonw747

17. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The size limitation is only an initial installer one. Apps like Plex, Infuse, ... will be fine. The limitation was mentioned on AppleInsider I think and there was quite a bit of clarification and discussion over there. It's still early but I don't think people thought it was a serious issue.

18. ChrisG8

Will there be an Amazon Instant Video app available?

19. jonw747

Devs can code around all sorts of limits, but if it can't run iOS apps as-is from the market, they'll have to build up a new market from scratch - and where that goes, we'll just have to see.

20. CatfishRivers