Quantcast

Incorrect Aspect Ratios on local video files via Playpoint and Plex

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Phillykef, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I'm having issues playing back local video files with the correct aspects ratios. I have several mkv and mp4 movies that play perfectly well on my Windows 7 PC, my Android 4.0 tablet, and my Android 4.1 phone, but on the Co-Star the aspect ratios of the videos are always wrong.

I'm using my Co-Star (set at 1080p) hooked up to my widescreen TV (set at 1080p too), and most everything works correctly. I've watched Netflix movies and Amazon movies without issues, and everything is formatted correctly. My Verizon Fios TV (1080i) also passes through perfectly. This leads me to believe that it's not a base setting on the Co-Star since live TV and several apps have the correct aspect ratios.

The problem occurs when I plug in a USB drive with mp4 or mkv files, and load them using Playpoint. Standard widescreen video files are cropped into a non-widescreen area, with black bars on the left and right, and everything looks "scrunched." Anamorphic widescreen video files don't have the black bars on the left and right, but they are also scrunched to fit into the standard widescreen, even though the proper presentation on a widescreen TV would have black bars on the top and bottom.

Please note that this also occurs when I play the same files using the "Plex" app, but does not occur when I use Plex on my Tablet or Phone. It appears that the Co-Star is reading the aspect ratios incorrectly, so I wanted to understand if this is a known bug or if I am doing something wrong. Please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Well I guess it's not a known bug then. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. drhill

drhill Member

I don't have a Co-Star, but you should check your system settings. Make sure your tv is setup correctly to widescreen. I believe my old Sony GT1 has an option for that.

4. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

As I said in my original post, my Fios TV looks fine, Netflix Instant looks fine, and Amazon Prime Instant looks fine, with everything formatted correctly on my widescreen TV. How could it be system setting or a TV setting if all of these work correctly but local files do not?

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If the resolution to your TV and/or your viewing setting *has* changed, we can always work backwards and figure out how it happened. Should be simple enough to check and rule out.

6. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

OK. I just verified that my TV is correctly setup for widescreen. I can also see this because my Fios TV is running through my Co-Star, and it looks perfect. I've also played DVD's via a different input on the TV and they work correctly as well.

My Co-star is also set up correctly. I have Amazon Prime, so I watched a widescreen movie last night and it looked great and perfectly formatted.

So that brings me to PlayPoint and Plex. I'm having the formatting issue when I access files via the USB drive using Playpoint, AND I'm having the same issue Direct Playing and/or Streaming copies of the same files from my PC using Plex. Basically every movie file is not displaying the correct aspect ratio when I run it through the Co-Star, even though these same files look fine on my Android Phone, my Android Tablet, and my PC.

So I'm not sure where to go now from a troubleshooting perspective, so suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

7. degsie

degsie Member

Have you tried keyboard toggle keys which adjusts the aspect ratio:

Plex:
    Z =
    Toggle through the various aspect ratio modes

GTVBox:
    X = change aspect ratio

8. jonw747

Does your TV support an info button? I don't have to guess what resolution is being fed to my TV or what aspect ration it's expecting, I just push a button and it tells me if I'm using 1080p and dot by dot or something different.

9. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I don't have to guess either. The TV is setup at 1080p. I have a DVD player that upscales to 1080p and it works great with the TV, and my Fios TV at 1080i works great too. As I mentioned before, the TV displays Netflix and Amazon videos correctly THROUGH THE CO-STAR. Even the Co-Star menus fit correctly, including the Plex menus. The only problem is when I'm playing files directly via PlayPoint and/or streaming them via Plex.

10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I don't understand, are you saying you use PlayPoint to access your Plex media Server files .....?

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Are you having problems with Plex ..? If you have problems with your plex server on a Windows PC/Laptop, then check this out How to reset the System bundle - Plex Forums .... Also make sure your Plex Server is online, go here https://my.plexapp.com/queue/help ..... Some people are saying Plex do not work with the Vizio Co-Star, since the latest update, well Plex works like a charm on my Co-Star ...

This info is from my thread, I posted this earlier, it might help you ...!

Sorry about the mix up wrong thread ...!(lol)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. jonw747

TVs will adjust to the signal they're fed. That's why I keep asking if you verified on the TV what resolution it's seeing and what display mode it's using. It should be a simple thing to eliminate, but apparently it's not. Good luck.

13. reading

reading New Member

there are a couple posts in the plex google tv forums about this. one user said he was able to narrow it down to a co-star issue not a plex issue. I also have this problem on a few of my videos.

14. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Vizio tech support told me to call them to discuss, so I'll post what they tell me. But hopefully the following test scenario answers a few of the questions above regarding Plex, Playpoint, and my TV settings:

So, here's an example of one of my tests:

1. I have a Toy Story 2 DVD, my son's favorite movie. I play it on my old 1080p-upscaling Samsung DVD player hooked up to my old Samsung 50" DLP TV set at 1080p, and it displays beautifully (not BR quality obviously, but good enough).
    2. I ripped it to mkv using Handbrake, with the resulting file being about 1gb, 720x480, 24fps.
    3. It automatically shows up in Plex Media Server with nice cover art, and also shows up on all 3 of my Plex apps. Works great.
    4. I play it on my Nexus S 4G, and it looks perfect. Audio is good, video is good, etc. Perfect all around.
    5. I play it on my HP Touchpad w/CM9, and again, perfection.
    6. I play it on my Vizio Co-star, and the movie is scrunched into a 4:3 area, with black bars on the left and right. Audio is fine, but all the toys look very skinny.
    7. I copy the mkv file to a USB drive, and plug it into the back of my Co-star. I then use Playpoint to play it directly from the USB drive, and it again has the black bars on the left and right and everything is scrunched.
    8. I repeat all the steps above with one of my favorite movies, Gladiator. The only difference is that it's 720x368 instead of 720x480. Again, looks great using Plex on my phone and tablet, and while the Co-star no longer displays the black bars on the left or right, there are NO black bars on the top and bottom even though there should be. (Again, this is the same whether playing remotely via Plex or directly from the USB drive via Playpoint.) The picture is either stretched vertically OR something is cut off from the top and/or bottom (I still need to do a more detailed compare on this example).

Again, any help would be MUCH appreciated. I really want this to work, and frankly my 2-year old can't even tell that Woody and Buzz look too skinny, but I still would love to find a solution. Thanks.

15. jonw747

So your video isn't 16:9 or 4:3... my GS7 has an option somewhere in the settings where I can tell it to how to handle video scaling, does the Co-Star have something like this? If so, you might try the options.

16. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

When playing the video that your having problems with , try the following.
    Press FN+1 to bring up settings - Go to"picture and sound" - Next go to "Screen adjustments" and see if it is set to wide zoom or full - and auto wide is on and 4:3 default is off

Just because you have these settings set for your tv does not mean its set for every viewing experience as google tv allows you to set different settings based on what device your using depending on what your viewing. I noticed this when I set my google tv and noticed a big difference when viewing websites as the web settings were set up different from the tv settings.

17. chiledog

chiledog New Member

I don't think GoogleTV handles anamorphic MKV/MP4 correctly. (I have similar issues with my GT1 and revue). If you re-encoded the videos without anamorphic(ism) (made that word up...) it should work.

18. GreasenUSA

GreasenUSA New Member

Alternatively, instead of going all the way into your system settings, you can press the "Quick" button on the bottom left of the remote, and it brings up aspect ratio settings. I just tried it while playing a video in PlayPoint, and while it allowed me to select different setting such as Normal, Wide, and Zoom, it did not change the current video that was playing at all. Just thought it may be worth a try anyway for you.

19. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

FINALLY FIXED using Plex. The new version of the app displays the correct aspect ratios on every movie file I've tried, and in multiple formats. PlayPoint still shows with incorrect aspect ratios, but I don't need it any more because Plex works so well.