Quantcast

In search of the best GTV remote

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by chopper, Nov 25, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

I like the Revue remote for the full sized keyboard, the new Sony remote for the backlight and the Hisence remote because the keys look to be a good tradeoff in size between the two. I guess right now the Hisence would be a winner if it has a built in mic. I guess a smart phone has the potential to be the ultimate GTV remote especially if someone makes a Remote App that can be fully customized ie users can add and remove features and change the placement of pretty much everything to suit their preferences. It would be neat if remote skins were an option and users could select the and customize other users skins to suit their needs on a smartphone or tablet.

Any thoughts out there.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

For me, it is the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard. I have only tried a TouchPad tablet running Able Remote and the Sony NSZ-GT1 remote among the other choices.

3. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

I really like the Logitech keyboard. Because it is a full size keyboard and has a variety of shapes and positions for the special keys, I can control everything by feel. Thus I don't need illumination or my glasses. It works on my LG 47G2 via the unifying USB receiver. It has the following limitations as compared to the LG magic remote:
    - On websites, like YouTube.com, it is sometimes necessary to click on the page before the page up and page down keys work. By contrast, the scroll wheel on the magic remote always works great.
    - The keyboard does not have a microphone, even though it is possible to activate voice search from it. This only started being a disadvantage now that the voice search feature improved with the last update.
    - If an external amplifier is used but the TV speaker is still activated, then the magic remote has function keys to control the amp volume, but the last update broke this. Not an issue if the TV speaker is deactivated, in which case the keyboard volume control does work on the amp.
    - The magic remote has infrared controls that allow the TV to be powered on, and channel & volume controls work even while GTV boots.

Some of the above notes only apply to the LG TV. Of the above, I would most like to have the scroll functionality on the keyboard. I use the keyboard most of the time, but keep the magic remote handy too. As much as I like the idea of having a single perfect remote, it is not much of an inconvenience to use both.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything posted about the Logitech K700 keyboard specifically paired to the Vizio Co-Star. If anyone has paired the K700 keyboard to the Vizio Co-Star please post your experience with it.

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

6. terrywan

terrywan New Member

the best remote still is IR remote which suit tv box, because 2.4G wireless fly mouse not very good

7. Hodge25

Hodge25 New Member

Hello, just something for the suggestion list: When you back up the buffer to the previous show, the description only shows the current show description. I would be nice to show the description for the show you're actually watching.