Quantcast

In A Post-Google TV Era, Hisense Takes A First Stab At Defining Android On TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 15, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

In a post-Google TV era, Hisense takes a first stab at defining Android on TV ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - Jan. 15, 2014

-- If you're interested in smart TVs, then CES 2014 had two surprises for you: The first one was LG with its webOS-based smart TVs, and the second one was Hisense. I ventured to the Hisense booth last week because I wanted to check out the company's new Roku TV, but I quickly learned that at least for Hisense, Roku isn't the big story: Vidaa is.

Vidaa is the company's new smart TV platform, which has been developed by Jamdeo, a design and engineering company located in Ontario, Canada that's co-owned by Hisense and Flextronics. I interviewed Jamdeo's Principal Designer Mo Selim (see the video below) and after spending a bit of time chatting with his team about their thoughts on the smart TV space and their design philosophy, I came away impressed.

Read more at: In a post-Google TV era, Hisense takes a first stab at defining Android on TV ? Tech News and Analysis

A first look at the new Hisense Vidaa smart TV:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hisense's Vidaa smart TV:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

So Hisense will have Roku, Google TV and Vidaa smart TV products in 2014? I noticed the Vidaa guy indicated other smart TV platforms were too complicated, too much like a computer, Vidaa is a TV first, but Vidaa runs Android 4.2.2. Selling the 2014 Hisense smart TV products is going to require a lot of double talk but who knows, maybe something will take off. My money won't be on Vidaa.

3. CatfishRivers

My take on this is that the new wave of GTV (now called Smart TV with Google services) is much more open for customization by the various manufacturers. Google is giving OEMS more room to customize in an attempt to gain wider consumer acceptance for android on TV. So we will likely see different variations of android on TV with Google services.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

That's exactly what I attempted to say in my last post:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...x-thread-some-tips-off-topic-4.html#post61578

"While we all google -TV users are still waiting, and waiting and waiting...Forever... For the Jelly-Bean update that never comes, they are now starting to appear some new Android TV Boxes with the Jelly-Bean, like the one that Hisence have showed at CES, that no one knows where they came from..."

"It may be that some companies are adapting the JB without Google, as already did Hisence that have used a Canadian company, to improve to TV the Android OS?"

However, What I don't understand is SONY's delay?... What could lose a giant company like SONY, if they finish and finally release the Jelly-Bean Update?

Today SONY announced that they will start the KitKat update of more Xperia Cell-Phones Models, but nothing is said of their Google TV Boxes:

http://phandroid.com/2014/01/16/sony-xperia-t-tx-v-sp-android-4-3-update/

Perhaps they have forgotten that they exist and that also we all are eagerly waiting to upgrade to the Jelly-Bean?

After the catastrophic release of the Jelly- Bean by LG , SONY seems that now is improving and correcting errors , to launch an improved version ... But I'm curious, if the Android Jelly- Bean has existed a year ago, why they did not made these corrections before?

Apparently they were not interested...

As I have always said, the ONLY priority of SONY are their Cell-Phones!!...
    And after those, maybe the new Playstation and 4K TVs...
    Nothing more...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. ChrisG8

It is going to be very confusing for a marketplace that is already confused, I just don't see how this will work. I will watch from the sidelines unless something pops up that is just perfect. A box or two running Android 4.2.2 is something I want along with a PC mirroring app like Splashtop and if it can be done with devices I already own, great that will have me covered.

• Like Like x 2
  6. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

any word on when the Pulse Pro will ship? I still see nothing but the PR and 10 versions of the same "hands-on" review from CES.

7. CatfishRivers

I haven't heard anything about a release date for the Hisense Pulse Pro. In a video on another thread a reviewer at CES mentioned that the Hisense Pulse Pro will cost approximately $150. (But that wasn't an official announcement from Hisense).

Today I came across this Hisense television with android Jellybean on sale for $399:

Hisense 40" Class LED 1080p HDTV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Android 4.2 | PCRichard.com

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

Decent price for a 40" HDTV with a built-in Android 4.2.2 OS; and also with a digital audio port and 4 HDMI ports.

The Pulse Pro box at $150 instead of $99 for the "under three figures price point" is actually a good sign in that they may be focusing on some overall upgraded quality in the box.

Hisense seems to be "going for it" in the "like it complicated with high functionality" market. This market won't pay a lot, and probably won't buy a big 60" high end HDTV just to get a full browser OS, and would go with the Pulse Pro box. At this price (another $250) they might. That's probably why LG is going with their own simpler, dumbed down software on their high end HDTVs; that market doesn't want to be rebooting and adjusting a lot of settings, etc, and just wants content streaming apps. That's how it seems to me because , right now, it looks like Hisense will be the only manufacturer left in the GoogleTV/AndroidTV business.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  9. guest

guest Active Member

I think that if set-top box manufacturers were able to partake in the ad-revenue generated by each box, instead of it all going to Google, this business might be more enticing!

10. CatfishRivers

Hey that could be another way of saying that a Nexus TV box makes sense -:)

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Just thought I would give you a heads up that same tv you linked to CatfishRivers is now on sale for $298.96 at the moment. Not sure how well it works since I have not used it but I am seeing other people saying they really like it so far.

Tried googling the model number of 40K368AW but not much info about it can be found and someone mentioned that the model is exclusively sold by the stores you linked to so that may be why I can't find more info on it.

Hopefully some people start posting videos on youtube showing it off soon that have bought it or more info comes out about it.

12. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

1.5 months later and still no sign of the Pulse Pro (other than the initial press-release and copy-cat reviews).. :( (an no news that I've seen about any other stand-alone boxes). :( :(

13. ChrisG8

In fairness the Pulse Pro wasn't supposed to be released yet so no sign doesn't mean anything yet. I sure don't have any information so I don't know whether the Pulse Pro will be released in the US or not, I hope it will be.

14. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

what time frame have you seen? (I have not noticed anything providing any details).. even Apple provides more details when they "launch" something which isn't ready to ship :) (the press release title is "[h=2]Hisense Launches H6 SMART TV for Android and Pulse PRO Set Top Box based on Google Services for Smart TVs"))[/h]

15. CatfishRivers

Some people in the Google+ GTV community said that the Hisense Pulse Pro is supposed to be released between "March and the Summer".

16. ChrisG8

I have seen estimates as early as spring or as late as summer but nothing I consider a hard date and I suspect like you, I have no way to know much of anything about when it will be released. The recent TV looks to me to be as good as the LG models, other than smaller screen size, so I am optimistic a new set top box from Hisense will be good.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, it was a good sign when they didn't just update the existing Honeycomb "Pulse," but built a new box with a better chip to accommodate the Android 4.2.2 OS .

But why there always has to be a big wait for everything is a good question. Why can't they ever just announce a product at CES and say: "On sale starting next week at a Best Buy near YOU!."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  18. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I hadn't seen that info, thanks! The TV seems like quite a good value.. I just really don't want to roll that way.. but hopefully they get enough of sharing between the product lines to become the leader in the vacuum of the GTV space. If an AppleTV comes out with the ability to do "apps", and I can get VLC on it (movie player of choice for me), I'll be sorely tempted....

19. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 4
  20. ChrisG8

That is good news, I hope it is on time.