Quantcast

Improving My You Tube Playback-Browser Version (Chrome)

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by BobinVA, Mar 14, 2012.

1. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I've had a lot of trouble playing You Tube videos,both from the Chrome browser and from the Google TV app. In the app,they froze and in the browser,they paused and buffered constantly. They always played well on my Mac Mini,however.

Today,I went to Best Buy and bought a "range extender" to help my router send the signal farther.

Now,You Tube plays very well in the browser version! Not sure if I can play HD or not,but things are much better.

The app version of You Tube still plays terribly.

Made a good investment today!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

hmm, im not really having a problem with buffering on the youtube app.. i have a constant 62mbs from my router and i think my isp test is showing 5-7mbs,, when i do go 1080 hd on the app.. then it may buffer a bit.. but.. not on every channel... just 2 or 3.. i hope the next youtube app update has an adaptive stream like netflix,,yes quality may take a hit every once in awhile.. but it most often goes back to a sharp 1080..
    with chrome have not had a bit of trouble... although it may buffer a bit with 1080... its just tough to get a clean stream of data at that rate..
    but the again im wireless... perhaps going for Enet may bring some good thing... i do make sure that im not loaded up with process.. no launcher.. live wall paper... anything that would hit on the cpu... keep the over head to a min.. so far it seems to work well.. your mileage may vary...

4. CatfishRivers

I have my Revue connected by ethernet directly to modem. My download speed is only 1.5 mbps and I have no issues with the GTV YouTube app or viewing YouTube through chrome. I don't play the HD videos because my speed is too slow.

5. CatfishRivers

Bob if you're still having trouble with HD YouTube videos in Chrome - try going to your YouTube settings and click where it says "Playback Options" then click "I have a slow internet connection". Click to save the change - then change the playback setting back to HD (and save) - see if that helps.

Also try going to your GTV settings and clear all data from the YouTube app.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Re#5,

Tried that before,but doesn't improve my HD YouTube playback.

I also have had similar playback issues with Pandora;plays perfectly now that I'm using a range extender.

Another issue that I have is with the closed captioning on YouTube. (I'm HOH.) The captioning in the browser version has frequent
    misspellings and missing words. In the GTV app version,there is no closed captioning. There's room for improvement with this issue.

7. tblynch

tblynch New Member

I had buffering issues w/ wireless, but it works great on ethernet. Worth the trouble for sure. In fact, I got a ethernet switch I put in my entertainment center so all my media devices are now wired.