Quantcast

I'm VERY unimpressed

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by sirwes, Aug 7, 2011.

1. sirwes

sirwes New Member

I bought my Sony Google TV, brought it home and set about setting it up. That process took WAY too long and required me to go through the process of setting up both a google and a sony account.

Then I immediately wanted to see if it would do any of the things I want it to do. First, I'm a Yahoo user. I've been a Yahoo user for MANY years before google existed, perhaps before the founders were conceived. So the first site I wanted to see if this "internet access device" could handle is loading me into Yahoo games on the hearts table. Of course it could not. My guess is it can't handle java which even free cell phones do these days. Right at the point when the java applet should load the google tv just freezes. So then I tried to pull up my Yahoo finance stock portfolio and I get the error "this webpage is not available". But it is available on all seven of the real internet access devices I have in my home on the same network.

I'm not even sure why I bought this 32" thing since my 18" sony laptop with a hdtv adaptor already did everything I bought this to do and the google tv can not do.

Can this thing access ANYTHING other than google.com?

Planning to return it to Best Buy.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the Yahoo games and Yahoo finance. I don't use those services but I am able to view all the videos on Yahoo Video with my Logitech Revue.

3. sirwes

sirwes New Member

Can I run Firefox on this thing which I've used since 1995 when it was called netscape or is chrome the only browser?

4. sirwes

sirwes New Member

I bought a logitech revue about a year ago, and was frustrated with it's limitations that I gave it to my secretaries son. Cnet lead me to believe that google was starting to figure the internet out. I also have a boxee box which did not impress me. About the only thing I have not bought is apple tv which I probably should since I own two iphones.

5. sirwes

sirwes New Member

I can not even find the URL bar in chrome. I don't find favorites a convenience at all since there are about a thousand sites that I frequent. In firefox, I go to the URL bar type in the first three letters and it shows which of the sites I frequent that could be I point and click and bingo. Where is the freakin URL bar on chrome?

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The magnifying glass or search key on your controller doubles as a search bar as well the URL bar. Just type in a web address to use it as the URL bar.

7. jmburnzy

jmburnzy New Member

I always do extensive research prior to a large purchase on a relatively new technology for the masses. Just saying:)

8. jerseyfirefighter

jerseyfirefighter New Member

It seems that you bought back into this device expecting to be tailored to your expectations. Any reviews made out even in the last few months have included the fact that gtv is extremely limited under its current O/S version. The new update changes that. I dont care if honeycomb was a flop, the market availability is HUGE That opens up the doorway to allow developers sell their apps where the O/S U/I falls short. I imagine custom u/i launchers like launcher pro has in the mobile division, various apps that provide where google has lacked. Also the "fishtank" is well underway so expect to see a whole new device in the coming months coming to GTV.

9. Winkle

Winkle New Member

well if you bought it at best buy why didnt you try it out..
    I was somewhere one day and played with it but got this on Sony.com and thought it did what I wanted but expected a marketplace myself..
    * honeycomb a flop??

10. sirwes

sirwes New Member

So you do extensive research? So let's just say I was willing to spend 5 hours doing research. Exactly where would I have learned that google tv could not get me into Yahoo hearts games?

11. sirwes

sirwes New Member

Thanks for the magnifying glass tip, that really was helpful. I guess I need to commit to spending hours learning how to use it. I HATE reading manuals.

12. koopakid08

koopakid08 New Member

This thread ;) but seriously you could have made a thread and asked people that already own it to see if it would work.

---
    - Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Don't worry about reading manuals with your new google tv as the manuals that came with mine are skimpy as heck :) It's a device that is meant to be played with and used not talked about in a manual so that is why they don't give you much paperwork :)

14. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

I have to recommend that you pay attention instead of reading for hours. I purchased my TV two days ago and when i clicked on the apps (house button) I got 5 tips on using the remote. The second one was "magnifying glass"...All this in the the first 5 mins of setting up the TV.... also you can skip setting up accounts by clicking the skip button located on each screen.

You could also get one of the neighborhood kids to show you how the TV works...it would take them no more than 10 mins to figure it out.

15. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

Also, ask the kids to add your favorites to the chrome browser for you....