Quantcast

I'm not sure about this thing yet!!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Steve V, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Steve V

Steve V New Member

Okay so, I went to Best Buy the other day and seen the Sony Google T/V open box for $299 (normally $399) so I bought it a took it home. Ugh, hated it. Can't read USB in NTFS so that means my TB drives that hold my movies are worthless on this unit.

Okay, so I returned it the next day and got the Logitech for $250. Little better than the Sony.. at least it sees my USB drives. Of course, it plays absolutely nothing (okay, I got one low quality AVI to play).

Let me explain my situation. I do not have regular TV (cable or satellite) simply because I mainly watch movies and use Netflix. I've been using the WDTV Live for quite some time and it works really ... umm.. I'll just say it works!

The Logitech doesn't see any MT2S or MPEG files and doesn't play any of my MKV files. Actually the MKV files look like they are about to play but it just comes up and a black screen and the timer shows 0:00:00.

The WDTV sucks for one reason and one reason alone. NO DAMN UPDATES! WD has proven to me that they don't really care about what the people want.

The question - Do I keep this unit and HOPE like I did with the WDTV or do I return it and wait for Google and/or Logitech to get their heads out of their and make this stuff usable?

What to do... what to do?? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  2. antgod

antgod New Member

cant you just play those video files through your computer to the gtv ? should work. most of the movie files I use workn ,and even more platnthrough the computer to, also there are some work arounds to get things to work you just have to search ,I know it sucks to have to search for how much this thing cost ,good luck. excuse the typos

3. Steve V

Steve V New Member

I tried that as well with pretty much the same results. However, when I used the DNLA it showed that it wanted to start playing, still showed the 0:00:00, but if I tried to skip ahead, then it said "Unable to play video" or something of that nature.

Anyway you cut it, it's a simple software fix and codec support. If the WDTV can do it, so can the Revue/GTV. Honestly, even if it did work, the screen layout of the media player is pretty sad. I don't see any support for DVD/BD movie sheets or covers. Only a list view. Like I said though, there is really no reason they can't/don't support this. Seems like an easy win and would really kick BUTT over the WDTV and the Boxee box.

4. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I totally hear what you are saying. The ability to get to my 700GB of media would make this the best thing since... welll since... oxygen! I have been an Android user for a long while now and the development community is the real powerhouse behind the platform. Since this is not even open to that community until next month I kind of see this box as "Vanilla". I am sure in a month or two there will be a $5 app that will be the "uber video player" for GTV. Its just a matter of patience. Heck we all know why its called the bleeding edge.

5. djangofan

djangofan New Member

My Google TV Sony box plays stuff off a 4GB USB drive just fine. It wont recognize my 64GB USB3.0 drive though... and I think it has a problem with my 8GB thumbdrive also.

6. Steve V

Steve V New Member

Excellent reply, Neta! That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm questioning myself if I should return this unit and wait for some good apps to start coming out, then rebuy? It's possible the price would drop further or something even cheaper would come out. The Revue was $300 just a few months ago and it's already at $250

7. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I bought in at /$250 I was having cold feet @ $300. lol amazing what $50 will do. Maybe I am lazy... but unhooking it, boxing it, shipping/driving back to wherever you got it sounds like a pin in the butt. Just hold on for 60 days. You can do it!!!!

8. LaxCoach

LaxCoach New Member

I agree with your assessment. I say hang on to it. It will open up and the SDK's will hit the street. I have had success with a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB Thumb Drive directly in the Revue Box. The other way to get around this is if your Router has a USB port for a NAS Drive. I was able to see a 250GB Drive, but the Network had some hiccups delivering it. Wierd becuase I am hardwired Cat5 and the Router has Gigabit Ports.

I have to say, I really like this concept, but without content it is going to fail. For now regardless of rumors... no way that Google is letting this go. Sony staked millions on this and it will come to the PS3 platform in Q2 of 2011. My only real complaint is if Goolge asked Logitech to stop production becuase of a hardware limitation. We can always get Apps and Updates OTA, but if the chipsets are changing we are all screwed out of $250-300.

With a little work searching for sites like www.moviewatch.in you can almost anything on TV and Movies for free. The issue is the crappy Media Player. It does not have a good buffering method and regardless of what I do it constantly times out for video update. I have tried letting the movie play half way through and then grab the slider and start over, but after a while it buffers again. When the SDK gets ou there; this will be an easy fix; as I can think of a few ways to fix this problem in Windows, but for now you have what you have.

The Networks are shaking in their boots and have Cable/Satellite folks on their side (for once). Either way, internet savvy folks will find FREE content. When Tivo came out; they feared lost revenue as folks would skip commercials. History has shown that Ad revenue has gone up in the past few years. So, until this gets worked out... I am perfectly happy (for now) with downloading Torrents and "sneaker-netting" my Thumb Drive over to the GTV Revue.

9. Steve V

Steve V New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I actually found a funny work around lol. Since I don't have Cable/Satellite, I setup my WDTV Live as the STB. With a little trickery, I got the remote to work too. So, for now, I can leave my USB plugged into the WDTV and watch that as "TV". Then I can use the Revue and even the picture in picture function until Google/Logitech or 3rd party can come up with a "uber video player".

Just having some buyers remorse is all. WDTV kind of screwed us with changing their chipset and forced customers into buying the WDTV Live plus just to add Netflix support. I don't mind the $250 I spent on the Revue as long as it works for a decent long haul and not just replaced with a better box in 6 months.

10. saisivak

saisivak New Member

Hello I bought Sony Blue-ray GTV during Thanks Giving . I like the product but it is not complete. I have been going thru various threads and different sites to get more info on the future of GTV. Software issue, I can understand that in next 1 or 2 updates will be more functional. I am worried if Google, Sony and Logitech decides to change the hardware, then I am left with little choice.

Finnally I called up Sony customer service yesterday and asked them what is the future for this device, will there be any Hardware change and any advice on keeping it or returning it for now.

Customer service response is Google is planning to relaunch the product, for now you can return it. I asked him when would be the relaunch ... he doesn't have any time frame now...

Hope this helps....
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. Steve V

Steve V New Member

Seriously? A Sony customer support person actually told you to return it??

12. Steve V

Steve V New Member

So I think this weeks CES will be the determining factor for me. I still have time to return my Revue.
    My determining factors:
    If they unveil a 2nd Gen of these devices so soon. I mean that in the way of hardware improvements and prices. If they show a Revue 2 with more horse power for $199 or something, then yeah it's going back.

More adaptations of GTV. Just like the new Visio's with GTV. That is a great thing. The more options that people have, the more likely the GTV will succeed. That would prompt me to keep it.

I'm hoping for a mid/major announcement about software improvements in the GTV. From the Screen-shot of the Visio TV, it looks like GTV may be getting a new update with a new look and options. The important thing here is that it's supported by the current gen of products.

I say current gen because, IMO, it's entirely too soon to be showing a second gen GTV.

13. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I think (hope) they are going to update the OS in a big way this week, then ship the hardware with the update (that's why they told everyone to hold off). Anyone with the current OS will receive an update via system update. That is the only way I can see this going in a good direction. If they stand up there and tell me my Sony box is outdated and I need to buy something else, Im throwing it out the window (literaly), and forgetting Google TV exists.

14. Steve V

Steve V New Member

Couldn't agree with you more. I think the next week is extremely crucial to the future success or demise of Google TV.

15. saisivak

saisivak New Member

Yes Customer service person said... I was bit surprised... Any way I returned my Sony GTV.... will wait for Google's relaunch and buy it again... I am impressed with the device... only reason I retuned is ... if Sony/google are changing any HW requirement in relaunching...

16. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I thought Google's prompting to 'hold off' to Logitech and others was debunked. Who is saying there's gen 2 hardware? Logitech? Google? or blog?

17. Gone

Gone New Member

Yeah the "hold off" rumor was debunked.

And guys I don't think we will be seeing next gen hardware for a while. And even if we do I don't think google will leave those who have purchased the sony or logitech box behind, they will have people busting down the googleplex doors if they do!!!

18. Steve V

Steve V New Member

I just read an article that said Google TV is going to go with ARM CPU's instead of the Intel CPUs. This is going to make the prices drop BIG TIME! So guess what? I'm still within my 30 day's with my Revue, it's going back tonight . :(

I'm really disappointed in this right now. I'm so hopeful for GTV to really take off. Looks like waiting is the better option.

19. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I have the Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV box and I have to say that the browser is quite a bit underpowered. It is nearly unable to play the flash game "Pirates Love Daisies" on the internet. It plays the flash game at about 25% speed and I am unable to resize the window like I was able to do with the PS3 web browser. If GoogleTV is going to work, they need to improve the performance of the browser bigtime. I would suggest pointing the Google TV Chrome browser at a browser performance test such as this one : Test rendering time (7 seconds is good).

Also, when I search Google with the webbrowser it returns results in the "Google TV search result" rather than showing me the actual web google results. Are they joking?