Quantcast

I'm Mad

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by fbales, Dec 3, 2011.

1. fbales

fbales New Member

I was an early buyer of Google TV (last December), and I still have no update. I'm mad as hell. I'm a Google fanboy, but this product is worthless. Shame on Google.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I take it you have the Logitech Revue and are anticipating the update that includes the Android Market and Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update? Because I agree, shame on Google for the countless delays and push back on their commitments announced during the 2010 Google I/O Developers Conference. But, also shame on Logitech for ceasing development support of Android 2.1 early March while they waited for Google to fulfill their promises.

3. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Member

I think most of the blame needs to be Placed on Logitech.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Of course, your entitled in your opinion. However, the Android Market was not accessible during "Early 2011" as Rishi Chandra from Google announced during the 2010 Google I/O Developer Conference. Since the Android Market is Google's intellectual property, Logitech cannot offer access to it without Google's support. It was Google that kept pushing back on their commitments to the Google TV platform. Therefore, lack of access of the Android Market between Early 2011 to around the October (when Google gave the final release candidate of Honeycomb to both Sony and Logitech) is the onus of Google.

Logitech should be blamed for ceasing developmental support around March. You can obviously see that in the Revue Product Updates & Release Information forum updates. They stopped providing bug fixes and enhancement support of the Android 2.1 after the early March update. The only thing that was being pushed out beyond that period were "security updates" from Google. Logitech should have continued to provide us with support in the current version. At least that would have shown us their commitment to the platform. They could have added more codec support on their own. They could have enhanced the Media player. They should have resolved the bugs that remain a problematic in the current Android 2.1 environment despite their dependence on Google. They did not.

We do know that Logitech has had a working version of Honeycomb in July and an updated revision in September. This is proven by the build nomenclature of the two developer leaks, "KA2X-20110715.112445.user-b55579" and "KA2X-20110901.113032 userdebug-b58801". That clearly indicates that they had given up on supporting Android 2.1 (Eclair) environment to concentrate on the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) environment. Therefore the only excusable condition for not releasing the update along side Sony is if there were any major bugs with their software and in the final release candidate for Honeycomb from Google.

Just to be clear, I do believe Logitech should have retracted their advertising for the Android Market once they realized that Google could not deliver on their "Earl 2011" expectation. However, as I said before the in countless threads, both Logitech and Google have mismanaged in their own way both the Google TV platform and the Revue product from release. Neither party is exempt for the poor execution of the product.