Quantcast

iHeart Radio GTV Spotlight App

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 17, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just did some testing with the relatively new iHeart Radio GTV web app (it's found in the spotlight section).

The Good:

I can make the iheart radio continue playing while I web surf. To accomplish this I must exit the app by pushing the home key on my keyboard- and then clicking one of the links on my home bar (on bottom of screen) to exit. (If I exit the app by going directly through my GTV bookmarks - the music stops playing). To turn off the music I must go back to the app and push the on-screen pause (stop) button.

The stations that aren't actual over-the-air radio stations came in nice and clear. What I mean by this is that the custom stations that I create (kind of in the same manner as Pandora) have good fidelity.

The Bad

I couldn't find a volume control anywhere on the app. (I found one on the regular web version with Chrome).

It would be nice if I could turn off the music (while surfing other sites) by pressing the "Esc" key - instead I need to return to the app to do it.

All of the over-the-air radio stations had a choppy static sound to it. The fidelity was sub-par IMO. For example this includes all the real radio stations from my city listed on iHeart Radio.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to add your own suggestions, comments, and experiences with iHeart Radio to the thread.

I just directly compared the iHeart GTV web app (in Spotlight section) to using the regular iheart.com web version. There isn't much difference really. Sound fidelity is the same both ways. Music will also continue playing when web surfing with the regular web version (if used in the manner that I explained above). As I mentioned I do see a volume control on the regular web version but not on the GTV web Spotlight app.

The only other real difference is a slight variation in the layout. The GTV Spotlight app version seems to be geared more for navigating with the d-pad.

Note: I did my testing with a Logitech Revue on OS 3.1

http://www.iheart.com/ (iHeart Radio web version)

http://www.iheart.com/tv/ (iHeart Radio GTV version)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi cat.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet that I use iHeart radio on. Works great.
    Using it right now as I reply.
    Haven't tried it yet on my Revue.
    I really like being able to listen as I do other things.
    Using the back key works the same way on the tablet.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Good news! I just realized that NPR (National Public Radio) will continue playing while I web surf - provided that I exit the site in the same manner as I mentioned for iHeart Radio.

Also I realized that not having the "Esc" key turn off the iHeart radio is not a big deal - an alternative is just press the options key (key with 4 horizontal bars) - then click "windows" and just click the "X" next to iHeart Radio to close the window (this stops the music).

A lot of great stuff on NPR -:) I'm listening to an alt/indie rock station from Texas (on my Revue) as I type this. Sound quality is very good! Plus NPR has a lot of news and talk shows.

http://www.npr.org/ (full web version)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012