Quantcast

IFA: Still No Sign Of Google TVs Except At Heir

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 12, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Apparently, the translator needs some work...

..probably should be...

Did this author even visit the Sony booth where the NSZ-GT1 was running Google TV on Android 3.1 all day? And by the look of the status bar at the top of those Haier televisions, they are running "Android TV" which is China's copycat imitation of "Google TV".

3. CatfishRivers

Back near the first of the year there were articles stating that Sharp, LG, and Toshiba were going to produce Google TVs. At the time the thought was that these companies would show-off Google TV prototypes at the big CES in Las Vegas.

But then shortly before the CES Google came out and advised it's future potential hardware partners to "hold-Off" on Google TV (until they come out with the improved version 2 with Honeycomb). I might add that Vizio has indeed already moved forward and committed to manufacturing a line of Google TVs.

As for as Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, and LG that still remains to be seen. IMO they could decide to come aboard if they are impressed with Google TV 2.0. Plus Eric Schmidt mentioned recently that there will be new Google TV hardware partnerships announced 'soon'.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up but I was there. In any case, it is more likely someone misread these headlines...

LG, Philips and Sharp Smart TV apps to work across all three platforms, starting with a common SDK

He was referring to the Vizio and Samsung partnerships and products which were placed on hold due to unconfirmed circumstances.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

Here is one of the articles from the NY Times that I was talking about from earlier this year:

Google TV Faces Delays Amid Poor Reviews - NYTimes.com

From the article: "
    The Consumer Electronics Show next month in Las Vegas was meant to be the great coming-out party for Google's new software for televisions, which adds Web video and other computer smarts to TV sets. Although Google already has a deal with Sony for its Internet TVs, other television makers - Toshiba, LG Electronics and Sharp - were prepared to flaunt their versions of the systems.

But Google has asked the TV makers to delay their introductions, according to people familiar with the company's plans, so that it can refine the software, which has received a lukewarm reception. The late request caught some of the manufacturers off guard."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. CatfishRivers

Eferz wrote "He was referring to the Vizio and Samsung partnerships and products which were placed on hold due to unconfirmed circumstances."

And do you have a link to support your claim?

I provided a link from the NY Times that backs up my side of the story. Without a link - it's just your opinion - and an unconfirmed one at that. The fact that Philips, Sharp and LG have a common SDK for their smart TVs - proves nothing in regards to their future Google TV plans.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to realize that some of these companies were so disenchanted with Google TV that they decided to form their own cross-platform initiative. The question remains to be seen whether or not all of these companies are going continue to diverge the SmarTV market into their own proprietary segments, or are they going to follow the trends of mobile handset providers and use Android to unify the platform while still providing competitive diversity.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, Catfish. You should know by now, that I fight unfounded rumors and opinions not spread them. Do I need a separate link since your link already encapsulate it?

If you still need more information, here's a link for you.

9. CatfishRivers

I'm talking about a link that specifically states Eric Schmidt recently said the new Google TV hardware partners will ONLY be Samsung and Vizio. What you just posted is nothing new.

If you read my original post I mentioned that Vizio was already in for Google TV. Samsung was confirmed in - then they were out -then in -then out. So my original post that LG, Samsung, Sharp, and Toshiba are still on the bubble with Google TV is accurate. Your claim infers that LG, Philips, and Sharp have definitely opted out for Google TV (because they have a cross Smart TV platform) was an uncomfirmed rumor based on your opinion.

I'll ask again do you have a link specifically stating that LG, Sharp and Toshiba are a no-go for Google TV?. They could very well still opt in even though they already have there own smart TVs. You downplayed the assumption that the original post was significant because you 'claim' the authors don't understand English and you were at CES. So what does that PROVE? I then posted a link from the NY Times (a credible source) that backed up exactly what I said. I'm waiting for you to post a link that Eric Schmidt said only Samsung and Vizio will be the new announced Google TV partners. Posting a link that Vizio is "in' for Google TV is yesterday's news.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I never wrote that Samsung and Vizio was going to be the "ONLY" partners. Rather "soon" refers to Samsung and Vizio because they were demonstrating their products at show. Neither Toshiba, LG, Sharp or Phillips had any Google TV devices or prototypes there (or if they had a private showing then I wasn't invited to them). And as I wrote...

11. CatfishRivers

Ok gotcha now. -:)