Quantcast

If L is abandoning the platform, what reason is there to NOT unlock the bootloader?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by mkaatman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mkaatman

mkaatman New Member

I was thinking about it.

Normally you wouldn't unlock the bootloader if you were selling the product as a loss leader and wanted to force people to use your software/advertising/etc.

This isn't the case anymore for logitech. What other reason would they not unlock the bootloader for us?

It seems like it would reduce support cost because people running their own firmwares will generally be smart enough to know logitech wouldn't support anything they didn't provide.

I tried contacting a couple of people at logitech regarding this issue but I wasn't able to receive any replies. Curious if someone has insight on what I'm missing.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Probably contractual agreements with Intel and Google. After all, the boot loader for the Revue is built into the CE4150 processor. That's why they have to use the Intel's Consumer Electronics Firmware Development Kit (CEFDK) whenever they build finalize a patch.

3. slaZ

slaZ New Member

I was wondering the same thing with Logitech dumping the Revue. Warranty won't matter as much anymore.

Quick Q on the Revue honeycomb leaks. Were they binary leaks of kernel + Android, or do the community actually have partial source that's usable? Is the Revue bootloader checking to make sure the images are valid/signed (I assumed so since people are asking for unlocking the bootloader)?

Thanks!

4. mkaatman

mkaatman New Member

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of.

I doubt it's with Google because I know HTC is unlocking bootloaders from the factory now. They are using ARM instead of ATOM though. Or at least previous phones have been ARM.

Still though, what would Intel have to gain by locking us out? The Boot loader development kit is free I think.

5. mkaatman

mkaatman New Member

My understanding is that the previous firmware wasn't checking to see that the image was signed but the current firmware is.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

All the developer leaks were fully signed OS packages from Logitech. That's why there's not much in the way of "underground development" for the Google TV. In the second developer leak, they even removed the ability for user input while in recovery. Therefore, holding down the power button while the Revue is booting up will no longer initiate the USB update process.

I believe it is more relative to Google than Intel actually. Google still needs to prove to the content owners that Google TV is a safe platform. Otherwise there's nothing to stop someone from overriding the HDCP copy protections if they have full access to the kernel. This is one of the main reasons that the Native Developer Kit (NDK) is still not compatible with Google TV; not even the x86 NDK.

Remember, Google is still trying to smooze the content providers to embrace Google TV as a tool to enhance their product offerings. So, leaving a security hole that will prove that they do not have control over the platform will be seen as a threat to content owners and distributors. This is why "security updates" continued to be pushed by Google even after Logitech appeared to cease development for the 2.1 platform at the beginning of March.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mkaatman

mkaatman New Member

I really regret updating now. :( I updated the night I bought it before I did research.

That does make sense. Although Netflix and Hulu plus both run on rooted android devices. I understand what you're saying though.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you can still back rev to the previous update. So, if the GTVHacker community can get a hold of the OTA package then you should be able to get back on the official OTA release schedule. However, the process is a bit involved as it requires use the Android Debug Bridge (adb) client. Instructions for ADB here, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-set-up-your-revue-running-hc3-1-use-adb.html" or here "Updating to future USB updates from HC "User-Debug" leak"

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. mkaatman

mkaatman New Member

Awesome news. Sweet, I'm familiar with ADB. I suppose I'll continue being patient and wait for the OTA release since it's so close. Next year might be a different story in regards to future releases however.

10. Craysh

Craysh New Member

I guess they're still in denial that HDCP is completely broken.

I'd post a link but I don't have 10 posts (and I will not try to get around the filter)

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

12. LadyAngler

LadyAngler Moderator Staff Member

Signed... For what it's worth. Never hurts to try though ;-)

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

13. callanish

callanish Member

Sorry, completely blew that one. Tried to access that website petition all day and guess what; it now works after I posted something here saying I couldn't access it. Typical....Nevermind, my bad!

Another Revue user happy to sign the petition. Lets hope it gains some traction.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. mkaatman

mkaatman New Member

Signed with hopeful optimism.

15. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

It took quite awhile for the page to d/l.

Every other site I've been are fast d/ling... [​IMG]

Must be a lot of people signing it!!

16. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I signed the petition but I haven't read the agreement between Google TV and Logitech to manufacture the Revue and can't believe it would permit opening up the platform but if it does, maybe it will happen. I have signed quite a number of internet petitions but I have never signed one that resulted in the desired outcome, in fact, I don't think I have ever even signed one that was acknowledged by the company being petitioned.

• Like Like x 2
  17. RedBank

RedBank New Member

Direct link to Petition should be stickied!

BUMP

18. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

What is a bootloader and what is gained by unlocking it?

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

• What is a bootloader ?
      • A bootloader is the code that loads and executes kernel. It kicks off before any piece of software on your device, and is responsible for loading the kernel which is responsible for loading the rest of the operating system.
    • Why is the Bootloader Locked ?
      • The bootloader is locked because the manufacturers do not want you use another version of the operating system.
    • Why Unlock Bootloader ?
      • Unlocking the bootloader allows you to install custom firmware on your Android device.