Quantcast

If Comcast Buys Time Warner Cable, TV Could Change Forever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 13, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If Comcast buys Time Warner Cable, TV could change forever ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - Feb. 13, 2014

-- Yes, it's true: Comcast's plans to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion are all about broadband, at least when it comes to Comcast's bottom line. But that doesn't mean the move won't have a lasting impact on the TV business. That's because the acquisition will put huge pressure on some of the other pay TV providers. It could force them to go over the top and launch online TV services, or even go nuclear and embrace an Aereo-style solution.

The largest R&D team in the industry

The TV market is a funny one, in part because cable companies don't directly compete with each other. Comcast is available in different markets than Time Warner Cable, and even the companies' combined footprint of around 33 million TV subscribers is no direct threat to Cox, Charter or Cablevision.

However, the same isn't true for TV services offered by AT&T, Verizon, Dish and DirecTV. All of those companies have been directly competing against Comcast and Time Warner Cable, and that competition is about to become a lot more fierce. That's not just because a combined cable giant would be that much more powerful with regards to marketing and pricing, but also because the country's second-largest cable provider would get a technology power boost that would force its competitors to up their game.

A few weeks back, I argued that Verizon's purchase of Intel Media's assets was all about Comcast and the technology it's been developing for its TV products:

See more at: http://gigaom.com/2014/02/13/if-comcast-buys-time-warner-cable-tv-could-change-forever/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

In addition to the first post on this thread, GigaOm also has a series of good articles covering all the aspects of the Time Warner/Comcast merger. Here are the links:

Giving Comcast more power is a terrible idea, but we?re probably going to do it anyway ? Tech News and Analysis

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/13/everyt...roposed-45b-comcast-time-warner-cable-merger/ <---(Article title is "Everything you need to know about the proposed $45B Comcast-Time Warner merger")

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/13/why-co...ble-and-how-the-merger-process-will-play-out/ <---(Article title is "Why Comcast thinks it should be allowed to buy Time Warner Cable - and how the merger process will play out")

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

This can't end well for consumers.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think it can work out fine for consumers, Comcast has to offer value and quality, consumers have choices with satellite TV and internet TV. I am happy with Comcast in Little Rock already, this might make things even better.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Geeze Chris

Who do ya think yer kidding here? I knew by the way your posts have trended that you are a cable plant. It just didn't make sense that a GTV user or any set top box advocate would continually post propaganda type epithets to cable & against all forms of independent technological advancements like Aereo.

Geeze, and to think I wasted time trying to convince ya otherwise.

Have fun w/yer cable that you've probably had all along! Are you a Comcast tech or an actual engineer...

Screw me w/a cable connector...

Lol!!!

Carl

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  6. Carlszone

Man!

I just can't leave this alone. How could you??? All these folks suffering through disappointments w/the way Google TV has progressed only to find out that their advocate in chief was all along the enemy in our midst.

Shame on You!

Hmm...never mind, obviously there is no shame...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about yer return to cable. All of us do it from time to time. But your unadulterated smarmy sh_t eating gloating w/the commercial slickness of the typical cable operative reduces me to vomiting over my K700 KB which will soon be replaced.

Hey, get a hint. Stop telling folks to stop whining when yer weeping willow posts lead to the finality of acquiescing to a return to cable. You planned this all along, didn't ya???

Carl

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  7. ChrisG8

Ha, are you trying to be funny? That is probably the most absurd post you have made and that is quite an accomplishment.

8. ericd

ericd Active Member

As a TWC customer I have to say, it honestly can't get worse. Old, out-dated equipment, horrible customer service, 2+ hour long lines at the service center, 45 minutes + on hold, week + waiting for home service. To top it off, now I haven't been able to view ABC, FOX, CBS or CW since this morning (all other channels are working). I could call customer service and complain but I don't feel like sitting on hold for an hour or more only to be told they're aware of the problem and working on it.

With all the problems with TWC cable, I do have to admit their Roadrunner brodband service is always up and consistently solid. If DSL providers could ever get their act together on broadband I'd leave TWC in a second.

9. CatfishRivers

Where I live Verizon operates the land line phones. They recently came by and took out the copper phone line and installed a digital phone. I still have a basic landline phone service but it's digital now. For instance now if the power goes out my phone runs off of the battery in the box Verizon installed inside. This is not something that I requested - but I was told Verizon is going off the copper lines because they're harder to maintain. Now they tell me they no longer offer DSL service at my location.

I currently subscribe to Comcast internet and have the basic digital landline phone from Verizon. At my location those are my only 2 choices for internet/TV service.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27...ng-Sandy-as-an-excuse-to-force-people-to-FiOS

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/verizon-will-broaden-its-copper-fiber-conversion-2013/2013-01-08

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. Carlszone

This is what I'm talking about!

I've had visits from Verizon 3rd party reps that offered Verizon FIOS in my area. I actually invited them in and offered them a cup of coffee. They were polite and explained Verizon's full service plan. I was tickled and asked them to start the service right away. LOL!!!

They got on the phone w/a Verizon CSR and try as they might was unable to connect me to any service except for DSL. To their chagrin they found out that Verizon had hired them to canvas neighborhoods where FIOS wasn't available now or even in this century. Ours is a Cox exclusive enclave.

Better luck next time...

Carl

11. Carlszone

Yeah, real funny!

12. ChrisG8

Why use any service you don't like? Cable companies don't provide essential services and I would never use any service if it didn't meet my expectations. Satellite TV, internet TV, other cable company, OTA, surely something else is available. Comcast internet service here has always been terrific. We dropped Comcast cable TV in 2009 and just subscribed to a limited package as a result of a special promotion a couple of days ago. When the promo is over, I will listen to any offers but won't subscribe again unless it is a good deal. If Comcast is going to invest $45 billion to acquire TWC, the only way to make a return on that investment is to provide services customers will want to pay for. If your service isn't worth the cost, why would you subscribe and the same should be true for every market Comcast is in.

One minor good thing I think will happen if this merger goes through, Comcast should support some more HBOGo options. I tried to activate a Roku for HBOGo, it isn't supported, the only boxes that are, Apple TV and the XBox 360. I have Google TV, Roku and the PS3 but not either of the supported boxes, I thought those turkeys. TWC is in line with the other cable companies and supports Roku and I can't imagine Comcast will discontinue Roku with TWC but instead will add it to all markets. I am assuming Apple and Microsoft don't have agreements requiring Comcast not support Roku.

As far as temporary outages with given channels, that happens for various reasons with all pay TV services.

13. ericd

ericd Active Member

There's literally no other choice for cable and broadband internet in my area of Eastern NC. I've been considering Direct TV but the only option for internet, if I switched, would be DSL. I've always been satisfied with TWC's internet service, it's the cable TV side that's the problem. The cable boxes are sadly outdated and I don't see them ever getting updated until they are bought out or merged with another company. I've been cosidering purchasing my own cable box and installing a TWC cable card but you have to pay a monthly fee for the card that's only a slight discount from my present DVR box.

Very true, but the only way to fix the outages is to re-boot the cable box, which is a 45 mins to an hour wait

14. Carlszone

Chris

How can you not understand the basic problem facing US cable consumers. Are you really this ignorant? These companies you have listed won't exist if the TWC & Comcast merger goes through. Cox owns my area. There is nothing anyone can do to change this.

I have met up w/folks who had to move just to get out from under Cox's overwhelming influence both politically and as a service industry. Stupid, there is no where else to go once Cox or Time Warner Cable takes over. Are you not understanding how the cable companies have parceled out the whole country w/Congress's approval.

What an ass...

Take Care

Carl

15. ChrisG8

I would say give DirecTV a chance, use that for pay TV and Roadrunner for internet. DirecTV has terrific deals for new subscribers. I subscribed to DirecTV for about 12 years and thought the service was consistently good, the bill did continually go up but I don't blame DirecTV, their costs went up.

16. ChrisG8

You are an absolute hoot. You think people have to subscribe to a cable TV package? You think I am ignorant? If you don't like the service, don't subscribe, this isn't very complicated. I can absolutely guarantee, not once in my entire life have I paid for a non essential service I am unhappy with or think is a ripoff. Cable TV is a nonessential service, nobody should ever use it if they aren't happy with it. You aren't happy just whining about Google TV, you think cable TV is worth whining about also and you think I don't get it? You think a Comcast and TWC merger is going to cause the sky to start falling?

I think if Comcast doesn't offer a service their customers are going to want to use, they are going to lose a fortune with this merger and the company needs to make sure the service and equipment is worth the price charged or nobody is going to buy it. I know I won't subscribe if it doesn't meet my needs at the right price.

I know I can make a combination of Google TV, OTA, and a PC provide an acceptable amount of TV programming for our household, I have been doing it for years now so traditional pay TV is something we can easily live without.

17. guest

guest Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/b...vs-the-cord-cutters.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

The typical American household pays about $90 a month for cable television service, according to the NPD Group, the market research firm. But according to the research firm of You and Pretty Much Everyone You Know, when you click on your TV and browse the guide, what you often find hardly seems worth $90 a month.

This is the battle hymn of the cord cutter: You are paying too much for television, and you aren't watching most of what you're paying for. Over the last couple of years, millions of Americans have ditched their cable plans in favor of online streaming services like Netflix and iTunes. Perhaps intoxicated by the money they think they're saving, cord cutters tend to be evangelical about their lifestyle, feeding a viral phenomenon that is altering the economics of the cable business.

But can cord cutters truly escape the cord? And are they, in fact, saving much money at all?

Comcast's deal this week to acquire Time Warner Cable highlights the pickle that cord cutters may soon find themselves in. The acquisition rests on the assumption that as people cut back on their monthly TV plans, the cable lines coming into their homes won't lose their value. Instead, the more we imbibe of all the glories available on streaming services, the more we'll need to shell out for high-speed broadband service.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Carlszone

Yes, exactly!

It is easy for folks to say, if ya don't like it don't subscribe! But it is not that simple. Broadband is becoming as essential as electrical power. Unless you want to go back to DSL, cable high speed internet is the only option for most people. It's more than just consumer choice. It is a problem of too few choices.

Some form of internet access is now required for many jobs. Before it was, do you have a car? Now it is, do you have internet access. Most jobs no longer have personal initial interviews. Now the applications and initial interviews are all on-line. Internet once was an entertainment source and a secondary work source. Now it is front & center. The countries that have the cheapest internet access and the infrastructure to allow for higher speeds will soon take the lead in other fields of technology & development.

It is foolish to think that consumers must do w/out internet just because the cable companies have an iron-clad monopoly on both internet & media. And that includes Verizon FIOs.

Carl

19. ChrisG8

Now you are whining about broadband internet service too, I thought you were whining about cable TV. I have used several broadband providers over the years, AT&T DSL, AT&T U-verse, Comcast, a local company in rural SW Missouri and others. The service has always been fine, minimal downtime, speeds as promised, never a single exception, including the evil Comcast.

Your endless whining about nothing of significance, conspiracy concerns, monopoly claims, all nonsense in my opinion. Comcast will not have a monopoly, Dish Network, DirecTV, internet TV options like Netflix, other providers in most markets, so many choices. i am sure all of them are just terrible, evil companies in your mind. Google TV is such a disappointment to you, why don't you use products and services you like, are there none? I wish there were some so you could quit whining about these.

I will repeat, if Comcast doesn't offer quality and value, this investment will fail, the company won't be able to make this gigantic investment payoff. Your endless drivel about how Comcast will try make it work by using anti-consumer tactics is beyond silly. Why would anybody buy an inferior product or service?

Why not test my theory, sit on a street corner selling handfuls of manure for $5 for a few weeks, see how many customers buy your product and see how many repeat customers you have. Then sit on a street corner selling beautiful roses for $10 a dozen a few weeks. If your theory is correct, people will buy the manure, put in a vase and set it on their dining room table and whine about it, then come back to buy more. If my theory is correct, almost nobody is going to buy the manure and absolutely nobody will come back to buy a second handful. The roses will sell well and repeat customers will be happy to buy more.

20. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

The question that people should be raising is why isn't TWC allowed to compete against Comcast (and vice versa) in the territory they hold. The same goes for At&t & Verizon Fios cannot compete in each others territory. It's designed to allow price gouging while the politicians look the other way after being paid off by the lobbyists. They need to remove this monopoly and let competition thrive.

• Like Like x 2