Quantcast

Idea for a new remote control

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by hopper, Oct 18, 2011.

1. hopper

hopper New Member

How about a remote that does away with the keyboard and instead mirrors the display on your tv. This would allow google tv to act just like a tablet. Users could type and do gestures and use the motion sensors to run pretty much any app. This would remove some of the limitations if not all of them for which apps could run on google tv.

Another idea is a dedicated track pad with gesture and motion sensors.

I think a better remote app could be developed than the one we have seen thus far.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I love the Logitech Revue Keyboard. It's lightweight. It's good for typing emails, chatting on messenger, filling out forms when ordering products.

If someone wanted to use GTV primarily as a "Roku" (with very little typing and only to watch videos) - then for THEM perhaps a hand-held controller of some sort would be OK. I know Google is working on having speech integration with GTV. Not so sure about the gestures.

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

IdeaConnection: Crowdsourcing Corporate Open Innovation Challenges

IdeaConnection: Idea Sites - websites that solicit ideas from the public

4. hopper

hopper New Member

Modify the remote and make GTV function more like Android on a tablet. Try to picture a keyboard popping up on your tv and you use a remote to type instead of touching your tv. This is the vision I am trying to share. A full android experience with all apps being compatible on the tv is largely not obtainable due to the limitations of the current remote. I say the remote needs an upgrade and the Roku remote is a good place to start looking for ideas on expanding the capabilites of an allready cool GTV.

It would be nice to keep the current remote as an option as well for those who don't want to expand the capabilities of GTV.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you saying that using an on-screen keyboard - where you would have to push several tiny keys on a hand-held remote (multiple times) just to key in a letter or number - would be expanding the capabilities of Google TV? I don't have any other android devices so I'm not totally sure what you're saying?

I've read that even the Boxee Box hand-held remote (that has a full qwerty keyboard on one side) - is kind of a pain-in-the-a** if one needs to do a lot of typing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

WebTV had such a capability. Using its remote control and on-screen keyboard was tedious and only suitable for typing a few sentences. But I get your point. Using cellphones, some have set text-messaging speed records. So a re-designed remote could accomplish what you've opined.

7. Donaldt

Donaldt New Member

I am not sure if I understand because there are already Google TV remotes that works on tablets and phones.

8. hopper

hopper New Member

hmm let me think about another way of exlaining this

9. hopper

hopper New Member

wow i need to post 10 times before i can post a link to a you tube page that would explain what I was trying to share and this is ony post number 4 so here goes

10. hopper

hopper New Member

This explains what I was thinking google tv could be. Full android the way it is on a tablet or phone with all the apps. And a great option for a remote in addition to what is already available. Check out this you tube video and enjoy:)

"http://www.youtube.com/v/3dn6eVuL-CY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param

This remote is on the right track yet it would be even better if it was implimented in an android phone remote with a touch sensitive screen for guestures and swipes. Think of the gaming possibilities with the new Roku remote too and then your on to something that could be a game changer for google in the race to beat apple in this arena.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  11. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

This could all be implemented right from a droid or iOS device no need to buy anything new just write an app

12. Donaldt

Donaldt New Member

Remote on video is intriguing but nothing new. I think already many motion base mouse on market used for HTTPC or Powerpoint presentation that could be used already with existing Google TV. Looks like accelerometer control movement of pointer on screen like video game controller. Not very friendly when typing out long words or addresses. I play with such controller on nephew's Nintendo and very frustrating to control. Good design for simple gestures to make game play fun but horrible design for typing. I think smartphone already have apps to control Google TV so I don't know difference with that remote control and smartphone app. The Android TV device in video also look interesting but maybe downgrade from Google TV with expected Honeycomb. No user interface for TV and lack of integration with existing set-top box might be better competition for Roku Boxee and WDTV. Still interesting and found many different Android TV products on Google shopping search and see more expensive than Google TV Roku and WDTV. My personal opinion but I would rather have apps design for TV screen than phone and tablets apps stretch big. I think maybe you can already do that with HDMI cable and current tablets and phones, yes?

13. iomatic

iomatic New Member

The iPhone app works pretty well (I imagine there's also an Android app.)

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, Google, Logitech, and Sony each have both iOS and Android apps which can control Google TV via local IP. However, only Sony's Media Remote for Tablet is sized appropriately for Android tablets but doesn't work with the Logitech Revue, only Sony's televisions.