Quantcast

idea for a new app

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Cruddell001, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have an idea for an app for any developer out there that is more skilled than I am. It's already been shown that the Revue box can control other devices like a TV and an AVR (they logitech keyboard can only turn them on/off, but the android/iphone app can do full remote functionality). So, here's what I think will make the Google TV become an amazing device for us cable-cutters:

Antenna TV App:
    -The app will have a setup option asking for the user's zipcode (or determine it based on IP address)
    -The app will gather data from tvguide.com, showing a full listing of what's on TV right now for antenna users
    -Clicking on a show from this listing will cause the app to grab the channel number from tvguide.com, then send a remote command to the television to
    1) turn it to the "tv" or "antenna" input (would probably require the user to specify how this works in the initial app setup)
    2) change the channel on the TV to the number obtained from tvguide.com
    3) (optional) send a command to the AVR to change to the appropriate input (if the TV has sound going into an AVR)

additional features (for version 2.0 or something):
    -link the tvguide.com listings into the Google TV search function, so that if a user searches for a show and it is on right now, it will show up in the search results and clicking on it will automatically do the above commands
    -allow the user to set a keyboard shortcut on the logitech keyboard to essentially reverse the commands above so that GoogleTV comes back on. (This should be pretty easy, since the Logitech Android/Iphone app already has this function built in.
    -Have it's own Android/Iphone app

What do you think?

2. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

Pretty much already does this, except not for OTA programing (unless you choose "other" and have an HD OTA tuner). GTV will search through TV listings available on my specific location for DirecTV and let me set up a recording or tune to the show if it is on now.

3. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member

yes but the point is for those of us who are OTA only and are using a TV with a built-in tuner. It would have been nice if the Revue had a tuner in it, but alas.

4. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

Sounds like a great idea to me... im currently using OTA w?/unsubscribed Tivo HD. However i cant get much info from the "whats on" feature.