Quantcast

Ice Cream Sandwich officially announced!!!

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, May 10, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

Ice Cream Sandwich officially announced, coming in Q4

[​IMG]

Google officially announced today at IO the next iteration of Android, labeled Ice Cream Sandwich. This is going to be an operating system combining the tablet OS and the phone OS. It is one operating system that manufacturers will be able to put on any device.

They showed off different devices that are currently running Android and the need for one OS to be able to power any form factor. Google said that Ice Cream Sandwich will be released in Q4.

by Preach2k

Source: DroidForums.net - Google Officially Announces "Ice Cream Sandwich", Next version of Android

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

So since Google TV is going to be running on honeycomb does that also mean that Google TV will be included in Ice Cream Sandwich? (The article mentioned tablets and phones being included in Ice Cream Sandwich but did not specifically say anything about Google TV)

3. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google TV will get Android 3.1, apps from Android Market this summer

May 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

At Google’s I/O developers conference today, the company confirmed that Google TV will receive a major upgrade to Android 3.1 this summer, as well as access to apps in the Android Market.

That’s good news for the handful of Google TV users out there (myself included) who have been waiting for apps and a more polished user interface. It’s also a sign that Android 3.1 and beyond — which also includes improvements for tablets — will finally let Google fulfill its ambitions of delivering Android on practically any device.

Mike Cleron from Google’s Android development team says that developers will be able take advantage of the existing Android 3.0 “Honeycomb” SDK to create apps for Google TV. He also said that new Google TV products are on the horizon from Samsung, Logitech (the first true GTV partner), Vizio and Sony.

The addition of apps could breathe new life into Google TV, which has thus far relied on HTML5-powered websites optimized for its interface. And hopefully by this summer, Google will be able to offer cheaper GTV hardware — perhaps around $100 — that can compete with Roku’s cheap internet video devices.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rickaren

05/10/2011

Finally, Google TV is becoming more of what we had anticipated, and even more!

SOURCE

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rickaren

05/10/2011

Summer Starts June 21st!

• Like Like x 2
  6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if when it hits us here at Google tv,
    If it will be called Android 4??

I read that elsewhere on the internet...

Not sure if its true though....

7. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

As a blogger, there was a lot to absorb from today’s announcements from Google I/O, but as a Google TV user, this was one area I was particularly thrilled about. Among the goodies:

Google TV will get Android 3.1 this summer.

Android Market will also be available for Google TV.

Launch of Android Market movie rentals (not to mention the previous expansion of YouTube movie availability).

New hardware: First to partner up with Google TV were Sony, Logitech and DISH Network. Now Samsung and Vizio have come into the fold, meaning big companies will be putting their development and marketing dollars into this space.

Though I’ve had my Logitech Revue with Google since January, I’ve probably played with it only a handful of times. Frankly, there’s just not a lot of content available. All that’s clearly about to change. (And if Google TV will benefit from the Open API, or accessories programming interface, then there could be some very interesting new gear to go with it. Or perhaps increased compatibility with things like external hard drives. Fingers crossed.)

Android 3.1, which is rolling out for the Xoom today, will also allow devs to make applications that work on tablets and Google TVs, all from one SDK. That is a great thing. More applications, more content and more hardware — it looks like a fullscale Google TV assault. And those of us on the front lines can’t wait.

By Adriana Lee
    5-10-11
    Source​