Quantcast

I think my Co-Star is using extreme bandwidth. How can I check?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Whiteicedmstech, May 8, 2013.

1. Whiteicedmstech

Whiteicedmstech New Member

I have read a few others mention before about there Co-Star using an extreme amount of bandwidth.

I am 8 days into my new month with Xfinity and I am already at 30 gig's used. That is insane. I have never had that before. And I just got my Co-Star a little over 2 weeks ago.

How can I go about checking/monitor my home network to see if it is in fact my Co-Star that is using so much bandwidth?

Please help.

Thank you,
    Whiteice

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Have you watched Netflix, Vudu or YouTube or other internet video for 15 hours or so? It isn't difficult to use 30 GB of data a week if you do most video watching by internet streaming. Four or five Vudu HDX movies could use that much data or more.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Whiteicedmstech

Thanks for the reply ChrisG8.

Before I had this device, I streamed netflix, vudu, whatever via XBOX 360 or Roku or PS3. What I do now with the Costar in regards to usage is nothing more then before, if anything, I have barely streamed anything so far this month as I haven't had the time.

I am concerned because a few days ago, my ISP showed I had used 15 GB in the first 4 days of my new monthly cap. A couple days later and now im at 30 gigs, and again I have not streamed anything.

Almost leaning toward returning this thing. Scared it is using a lot of bandwidth and it is slow (even with cache cleaner) I push the button to bring up the DVR menu and it always takes 3 seconds to load the menu (just hitting the button on the DVR remote brings it up instantly.)

I wasn't sure if I was enjoying this or not and now with this possible bandwidth issue, I am just about ready to return it.

Whiteice

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about what you used to do with other devices but a 2 hour Vudu HDX movie is about 6 GB of data, which device you use to stream it doesn't matter. A Netflix HD movie, probably 2.5 to 3 GB of data and if you watched a few of each obviously you used a lot of data, there is nothing about the Co-Star that will create more data for those specific uses as far as I know. Data downloaded for Co-Star apps or firmware updates won't be a significant amount. If you used the MItty app to download files, obviously you can look at those files and see the file sizes.

If you know what you have used the Co-Star for, describe it, an estimate of data used for each program streamed won't be difficult. What other devices are connected to your network, phones, tablets, PCs? I can't imagine any kind of random data downloads are taking place with the Co-Star, that would be very strange.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Whiteicedmstech

If you have google +, once you are logged into it, click/paste this link https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=mX#100608855621335670366/posts/FpgZcf5EAuC
    that is where I have heard about the Co-Star using an insane amount of data.

My normal average usage in my last few months is about 100 gigs per month.

8 days into this month and I am already at 30. I have streamed a lot the last few months hence why I was on average around 100 gigs per. I know how much Vudu uses as well as Netflix and Amazon.

I am just trying to find out how I can try and track down/monitor on my home network how much bandwidth the Co-Star is using.

Thank you again for all the help and advice. I really do apprecaite it.
    Whiteice

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I saw this thread (see link below) from another Forum - (you can get some suggestions from it that hopefully will help your situation):

Please Help - I am using insane amount of Bandwidth - Windows 7

• Like Like x 2
  7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Do you run Mitty? I don't, but it is a peer-to-peer torrent app that could in theory be using your bandwidth to share files to other users constantly. Perhaps it has settings to limit/restrict that or does so by default, but I wouldn't know.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Whiteicedmstech

Thank you for the suggestion CatfishRivers. I will take a look there and see if I can find anything to help me out.

I very much appreciate it,
    Whiteice

9. Whiteicedmstech

Thank you for the reply jonw747.

Now that you mention it, I think I actually have Mitty installed from the store, but I have actually never set it up. I believe when I went to set it up, it did not detect a USB flash drive and so I couldn't continue. I wonder though if, for some reason with it being installed, if it isn't actually running in the background?

I will have to uninstall it and see what happens the next few days.

Still wish I had a way of freezing and/or uninstalling Google Music since a few others has mentioned it to be the culprit in there case with the CoStar using excessive bandwidth.

FWIW, I sent a tweet to Vizio's Support earlier this morning/early afternoon and unfortunately have yet to hear anything back from them.

Thanks again all for the help/advice/suggestions. I very much appreciate it,
    Whiteice