Quantcast

I just got a firmware update

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by mathewjg, Jun 26, 2013.

1. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

I have just been updated to firmware 3.2. It looks the same as previous version no not sure of benefits. I am in London, uk.

2. s0m3f00l

s0m3f00l New Member

I got it yesterday. Looks the same. HBO GO still doesn't work.

3. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

I am slightly confused because I am not really sure if this is an update or perhaps it has just reloaded the firmware to clear some bug or another. Was the previous OS 3.1? It seems that some other google TV platforms have recently been updated to 3.2 and people report that it seems to speed things up - but the sony web site has no mention of it and the latest available download there is dated May 2013 - which I definitely already had. Here is the build info:-
    rel10_NSZGS7_CEK_2203_133772_20130529_URSC_567254

4. jschall

jschall Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. Chasmanian

Chasmanian Member

I'm showing 3.2 on rel08, which is the last release from April.

6. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

That's odd - so it looks like there has been a build update but the firmware is unchanged - lets hope its some sort of preparation for Jelly Bean. I have build REL10 and firmware version 3.2.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. gpdlt

gpdlt New Member

I was on REL08 US FW 3.2, now turned to REL10 and still FW 3.2, I see no differences by now.

8. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

I just spoke to Sony support and they didn't have any info about the update and refered me to the download page - which still has REL 08. The download page offers you the opportunity to comment on the content - so of course I have given it 1 out of 10 for not having the latest information. One guess is that Google are releasing the updates direct rather than via Sony - that might explain why they don't seem to be aware of the update

9. markmcfc

markmcfc New Member

Did it fix the aw snap error on youtube via chrome? taaa

10. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

I have noticed that the new update have fixed the bug in voice commend. Before whenever I press the Mike icon on the remote it may or may not bring up the mike icon on screen now it works all the time.

11. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

I was not aware of the aw snap error on using youtube as I usually just got straight to the youtube app - but if I go to chrome and then type YouTube it opens you tube and then when I select a video to play it offers google or youtube to select once or as a default - both options work fine - so if there was a fault its not there now!

12. drhill

drhill Member

I got a GS8 on Tuesday and it shipped with REL09.

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the big thread about YouTube not working properly with Chrome on GTV:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...access-youtube-via-google-chrome-anymore.html

I can also go to the YouTube web site with my Logitech Revue and sometimes the first few videos that I click will play. However you really need to spend a good 15 to 20 minutes on the YouTube web site with GTV to declare that it is "fixed". You see some of the links on the YouTube web site will work - but many still get the Aw Snap! error. This includes the individual videos, channels, searches etc.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I got it on the Youtube site earlier today for the first time. I think this problem is system wide on all GTV devices. Don't know if it may be an Android problem or just a glitch on our devices while Google is preparing upgrades to both our browser & Youtube streaming. Maybe our browser doesn't like the new parsed media streaming format for better buffering and just bugs out. That is, if the new format has even been implemented yet.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Carl. I think that you might be onto something about the changes YouTube is making to reduce lag not playing nice with the GTV browser. Yesterday I made a post in the off-topic section with a detailed article about the new changes YouTube is implementing to reduce lag:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...side-youtube-s-master-plan-kill-lag-dead.html

Another possibility is that YouTube made some behind-the-scenes change to the YouTube web site in preparation for launching their upcoming VP-9 codec:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...s-vp9-codec-nearly-done-youtube-will-use.html

16. retroben

retroben Active Member

I just got the (US) update mere minutes ago,the model number in about changed to NSZ-GS7/GS8. *LOL*

This forum needs a smiley icon for "LOL" in the smiley list.

17. googlethis

googlethis New Member

My NSZ-GS7 was also updated overnight and it shows release 10 and it is now listed as NSZ-GS7/GS8 in the about screen.

18. Wim

Wim New Member

Received the update too yesterday. All I see is that apps keep crashing. TV app, Chrome app, Google Play app. Very annoying. TV app works again today but what to do with Google TV when other apps keep crashing?

19. saeba

saeba Active Member

Sony finally posted the changelog:
    Sony eSupport - NSZ-GS7 - Support

The NSZ-GS7/GS8 Network Media player firmware upgrade build version REL10_NSZGS7_U22203_133772_20130529_URSC_S67254 is available and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version REL08_NSZGS7_U2_2106_131390_20130406_URSC_S67254:

• Improves performance and stability
    Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version REL10_NSZGS7_U22203_133772_20130529_URSC_S67254:

• Adds the DLNA® feature
    • Adds the 3D video playback function
    • Adds the VUDU™ application
    • Upgrades the GoogleTV™ OS to the latest version
    • Adds the Voice Search application
      Note: Requires optional accessory remote (NSG-MR7U) or Bluetooth® headset to enable the application.
    • Adds the Amazon Video application
    • Improves the IR command associated with the DVR button for select Set-Top-Box / DVR models
    • Improves HDMI® connectivity for Set-Top-Box models
    • Upgrades GoogleTV™ to version 2.1.2 which includes the new Google Play™ application
    • Adds support for additional satellite Set-Top-Box, TV, and AV Receiver models
    • Adds support for the Media player / Socialife™ application and WPS2.0 function
      Note: The Media player application only supports local contents (Internal Memory and USB). This application is not supported using DLNA technology.
    • Improves stability for TV viewing
    • Improves stability for the remote controller
    • Adds support for the Sony Entertainment Network Music and Video Unlimited services
    • Improves the connection to some cable and satellite Set-Top-Box models
    Note: This update is only available directly through the NSZ-GS7 Network Media Player. It is not possible to download and install this update using a USB device. Please see Check the Current Firmware Version to see if the Network Media player has already been updated, and select Network Upgrade Instructions if the Network Media player has not been updated.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Wim

Wim New Member

Had to do a factory reset and even that was difficult because of repeatedly crashing apps. Now see if this will take me back to a more stable machine.