Quantcast

I have a few questions about co-Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by larryvand, Feb 8, 2013.

1. larryvand

larryvand New Member

Hello to the board. I am a noob and I have the following problems that I hope some of the experts here can answer.

#1 - I normally leave my costar on all the time, however if I don't use it for a day or two, the V button won't bring the menu up. I can still turn off and then back on the unit but unless I go and unplug my costar and then re-plug it, the menu display is all screwed up. What I mean by screwed up is that part of the menu is off screen. If I unplug re-plug it works fine.

#2 - What does the cache cleaner app do and why do I need it?

#3 - Why the costar does not have a turn on/off light in front?

Thank you for helping me.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can answer number 2, the Google TV operating system and various applications will clutter the memory and have a big negative impact on operating performance without that. For a year, I manually cleared RAM and cache and for the last 6 months have used Smart RAM Booster, just use the device with no concern about that and look for frequent crashes and freeze ups and that is exactly how so many users used their devices and have offered so many negative reviews. I am not saying I wanted using Google TV to require that step, just saying it is a fact that it does.

• Like Like x 2
  3. john30308

john30308 New Member

I agree on #3. It needs a light to show it's on. The response isn't instant when you turn in on, and I'm never sure if I got it or not! :) But I do love it! Great device. FWIW, I don't use the cache cleaner and no problems so far (several months of use).

4. plac

plac New Member

I called Vizio's support number by telephone and they tell me to turn it face backwards so that I can see the power light; and that it must be turned off when not in use due to known heat issues. The vents are underneath the unit, and so you need to keep it off of any thick cloth table cloths. What I did was put it on a glass coaster solid surface, and I also put those thick felt stick-on pads underneath it to get it higher up so it can breathe. Vizio told me that the next model will fix all of the bugs that are in this first one. Vizio is still the best on the market right now, if you ask me, due to the bluetooth keyboard remote. All of my TVs are Vizio, and so I'm happy with this first model and will upgrade later. I got burned on the first one (just read the reviews on Sony products).

5. larryvand

larryvand New Member

For those that leave c-star on all the time:
    Does the V menu button work on the remote each and every time even if you haven't used it for while??? Cause mind does not. The remote does work in turning it on/off, controlling the TV and my satellite box, but the V button does not bring up the menu. Again, this all happens after a long time of inactivity. Anyone else has this issue?