Quantcast

I can't take it anymore!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by retroben, Mar 9, 2014.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

Sony!

UPDATE THE ******* GS7/GS8!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. retroben

retroben Active Member

Everyone may express their rage by posting in this topic as well.

3. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Totally agree, I also can not take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Noticing how bad things were going, I started to complain much in Nov-Dic 2013 about the fact that SONY was only updating their Newest XPeria Cell-Phones and also their new Playstation...

Also in 2014 I posted two very bad news:

-SONY had sold its VAIO PC line.

-SONY was closing many SONY STORE in the USA.

The unfortunate thing is that SONY has had the time (more than four month), sufficient to correct errors and make more efficient the Jellybean... If they were correcting errors that had the version launched by "LG"?

However, some users thought that I was very negative and even told me they had not bought the NSZ-GS7/GS8 for the Jellybean and that SONY had never made promises about any future updates ...

Fortunately other more demanding users, totally admitted they bought NSZ-GS7/GS8 because it was an last generation and therefore will receive updates in the future!

I do not really even know what else to say... As I said before, SONY this is incredible:

I never thought we would spend waiting until April 2014!!

SONY What a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If you don't like the product, sell it, and buy something else. If you think you were wronged, then write Sony and ask for your money back.

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

You have to just presume that Sony has moved on to other more lucrative products and expects the current end users to do the same. ;)

6. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I've dumped my box into the spare room for guests. I only use xbmc now. Even though I wasn't promised anything about update times, it would've been nice to have an upgrade.

7. jonw747

It would be even better to get an upgrade that didn't break existing functionality and got the stuff that was already broken working again; but when a product doesn't sell well, it's future is in doubt, and the upgrade breaks features that some customers rely upon ... what's the rush?

Google has a lot to learn about the streaming business. They hit on some features, but failed on others, and failed to market the technology. Perhaps their biggest failure was trying to sell a $200 device in to a $100 market, and I think that explains why they were so aggressive in not making that same mistake with the Chromecast ... all but giving it away to Netflix subscribers.

Another failure of Google was that they should have taken a more active role with their OEM's to ensure that their software ran well and reliably on the hardware. If they were tightly involved and had access to all the drivers, they could have even released their own upgrade. Vizio hit the price point, but the hardware and initial firmware was unreliable.

Compare to Apple that re-used the IPad2 design. They reportedly used dual core processors that had failed tests on one of the cores, so their biggest expense in the product was basically re purposed scrap parts. They then added that "Apple touch" doing as little as possible to make a device that was closed, streamed media, and supported the Apple ecosystem. They kept the App store closed and it still sold like gang-busters thanks to iTunes support, AirPlay, and the streaming Apps they did have or were able to add. But it was more than just a streaming device thanks to AirPlay, and the early models even had the ability to be used as a music streaming box thanks to RCA output ports. An Apple product at $100 seems cheap, and that was an advantage for them as well.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Simply Google "How well does Apple TV sell?" Then Google "How well does GTV sell?"

Nuf said...

Carl

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

I do presume, just that, at this point. There seemed to be some action when Sony installed the REL 11, but that's becoming ancient history now.

But that's Sony. It seems unlikely that Google will abandon their Google/Android TV platform though. Hisense is keeping it alive at the moment, but it seems logical that Google would just go solo with their own hardware and the Hisense box/TVs can run their own course one way or the other.

• Like Like x 4
  10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I have to admit that my GS7 has been working great for the past while. I am beginning to appreciate it more and more.

Google is not really in the manufacturing business. They needs partners and it can't just be Asus. I do think their original plan to rename things Android TV made sense but perhaps they should rename it Chrome TV since that seems to be the flavour of the month.

Basically, I don't think they have thought this out and are winging it.

Philip

11. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

XBMC can't access any of the premium sites. Even the Hulu AddOn is having problems. So basically it's a platform for locally playback. Unless you are extremely picky there are far less expensive ways that are user friendly to handle local playback.

I really like XBMC and have it running on quite a variety of platforms, but I think Plex was smarter in have a client part and a server part. That allowed them to run the client on very low powered devices, such as a Roku or the Surface RT while having a media server part which would live on something a bit more able. XBMC has been reduced to running on very few devices and even on those it is not optimal. On something like a NUC or a Mac Mini it shines. On a Pivos Android box it doesn't.

There is OpenElec which is kind of like XBMC which does appear to run well on lower powered devices. I have it running on a 2006 Mini and it's pretty neat.

Philip

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. jonw747

They've worked with Samsung and LG as well, albeit the Nexus 7 is a more interesting product line for us as it's not competing in an artificial market like the phone market. The rub here is that ASUS already made tablets and still makes tablets.

For a similar outcome, a company like HiSense would have to first make a quality streaming box, and then work with Google to make it somehow cheaper yet still cool to sell it under the Nexus label.

I just don't see a natural fit, no matter how I slide the pieces of the puzzle around.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I don't really see this as gaining a manufacturing capability. The purchase of Motorola did that even though they ended up not using it.

I just don't see a games' oriented set box being able to compete against the current quite capable consoles. Even a laid back games' unit like the Ouya appears to have failed because people just didn't buy the games.

I do get the point that a Google can't give up on the living room as it's yet another advertising gold mine and Google is basically an ad revenue based company.

It's all very complicated... I don't think they should give up on GTV yet.

Philip

15. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, the Motorola situation really has nothing to do with it. They would naturally be setting up a new team to design and build a game box, and from the article and announcement, which can't be ignored, it looks like that's what they're doing. As far as there being other game boxes already, well, that's what companies do, they compete. How did Android phones and the Chrome browser work out for Google? Also, if any company has the money and resources to build a better mousetrap and a lower price point in the game box business, it's Google.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  16. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The thing I'm wondering about the Nexus game box is: Will it be a super-duper GTV with added features? Or will it be just a gaming console with some streaming apps such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon videos, etc?

IMO the best strategy would be to build the gaming element & Chromecast into GTV models. Then the GTV platform would sell better. (However IMO their could be licensing issues preventing that from happening).

If the Nexus TV/Gaming box is something different than GTV - then it will be one more thing deflecting sales away from the current GTV platform.

IMO the best odds for the timing of the Nexus TV/Gaming box official announcement will be at Google I/O in May. If Google doesn't announce it at Google I/O then the odds become smaller that Google will actually release a Nexus TV Gaming box. Google actually acquired the Green Throttle Games back in November - so I'd think that would've given them enough time to get a Nexus box ready for an announcement at Google I/O. Also they could 'announce' the box at Google I/O - and not officially release it until a month or two later.

• Like Like x 2
  17. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Google does not have a history of hardware design. You don't just get this overnight. When they purchased Motorola many people thought they would be able to use Motorola's experience to get into hardware design.

Android, Chrome, search, etc ... are software issues. Google has been very good at that.

Anyway, I suspect we have to agree to disagree. I don't feel Google could compete against the current consoles. They are hardly the company to build a better gaming console. They would do better to develop better relationships with content providers. A better approach, in my opinion, would be to integrate Chromecast within a Chrome TV box or whatever you want to call it.

Whatever they do, it would be nice to see them put forth a coherent strategy and to stick with it. The business of throwing out beta projects is not ideal.

Philip

18. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'm going by the evidence. The article clearly shows "noises" toward producing their own game box.

And Google bought Motorola mostly for the patents, plus it was the cable box division. It really has nothing to do with GoogleTV set top boxes. They may have toyed with the idea of integrating a cable box with a GoogleTV platform combo, early on, but the content providers would have none of it.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/20/technology/google-cable-box-motorola/

19. Travel

Travel Active Member

I was thinking about that, myself. Google could have a marketed "Nexus Game Box" and underplay an added "AndroidTV app," which opens up to the current GoogleTV Home Page, etc. If that were the case, then anyone who isn't particularly a gamer, but wants GoogleTV, could just think of the device as a quad core, 2G RAM (like the "Ps4" specs has) Jellybean/kitKat, GoogleTV Box with full-blown game capabilities. If that happens, although I'm sure I won't like the price, I'm in.

Google may really like the idea of upgrading their own hardware with their own software for a change. That could make a difference in the popularity of future GoogleTV development.

That certainly seems within the realm of possibilities, but it would pretty much mean that Googe is giving up on the "GoogleTV multi-device-platform concept." It seems that Google probably can't resist baking-in GoogleTV/AndroidTV w/Chromecats in their game box. If nothing else, it would be a feature that the other game boxes don't have.

Maybe Google will limit their own GoogleTV hardware production to the high end game boxes, and let Hisense run with the "just GoogleTV" lower price point Pulse Pro boxes. Right now, it looks like the Pulse Pro won't have any competition for offering a GoogleTV box with Android 4.2.2, and that may help sales for Hisense.

20. jonw747

Sony has their Vita TV box - and to date - they haven't even bothered to bring it to the US market. Anyone who's serious about gaming, doesn't have much money, and also wants to stream video can just buy a PS3 or Xbox 360.