Quantcast

Hulu's Owners Say They're Not Selling, Will Invest Another $750M

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 12, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hulu?s Owners Say They?re Not Selling, Will Invest Another $750M | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Anthony Ha - July 12, 2013

21st Century Fox, NBCUniversal, and The Walt Disney Company just announced that they're not selling online video site Hulu after all. They also said they're making "a commitment to recapitalize Hulu with $750 million in new funding for future growth."

The final bidders for Hulu reportedly included DirecTV, a partnership between AT&T and Chernin Group, and private equity firm KKR. It seems, however, that none of them made a bid that satisfied the current owners, who previously tried to sell Hulu in 2011.

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hnm...

Does that signal that GTV will remain out of the loop as far as future access is concerned?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, I am pretty sure Hulu Plus is coming to Google TV. I just tried to stream an episode of Bones from IMDb to see what the message looks like now.

Bones Full Episode (Bones in the Basement) - IMDb

It indicates they are working hard to bring Hulu Plus to Google TV. I think that is a different message than I got the last time I tried.

4. CatfishRivers

I just tried that link on my Logitech Revue. It's the exact same BS message that Hulu has been spitting out for nearly 3 years now -;)

Check out this article from 3 months after GTV launched:

http://searchengineland.com/why-youre-still-waiting-for-hulu-plus-on-google-tv-60770

My advice to consumers is that if you like what content a streaming TV box currently has right now - then consider buying that box. But don't make the mistake of buying a box based on the "hope" or "rumor" that some specific content "might" be added in the future.

*Note: And in Google TVs special case - you might want to wait until after the GTV Jellybean update (due out in the third quarter) to make your purchase decision. This is because the Jellybean update removes Flash from the Google TV Chrome browser, adds NDK support for apps, and hardware support for DRM.
    It is unknown if Flash workarounds will function on the GTV Jellybean OS. There will probably be more apps because of the NDK support. The idea behind the DRM hardware support is that it will attract more premium apps from content providers. But right now it is impossible to predict how it will all shake out after the GTV Jellybean update.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, well I thought the message was a little different. If they have been working hard for three years, I expect something any day now.

6. CatfishRivers

Is Hulu lost? Latest nixed sale shows owners have no clear plan | The Verge (click for full article)

by Greg Sandoval - July 15, 2013

"Hulu's owners have clearly shown they don't know what to do with the web TV service.

First they planned to take the company public. Then they explored a sale, only to pull out. Then they put Hulu on the market a second time, and again yanked the "For Sale" sign, electing instead to invest a fresh $750 million. Hulu's owners - Disney, Fox, and NBC - left it to Disney CEO Bob Iger to put a positive spin on all the flip-flopping.

HULU'S FUTURE HAS NEVER BEEN FOGGIER"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013