Quantcast

Hulu sucks!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by retroben, Apr 18, 2014.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

With my Sony NSZ-GS7,I did the thing you can supposedly do on a NeoTV Prime with a special user agent string after doing some other steps.
    The method can be found on gtvhacker in the NeoTV Prime forum.

I just added the user agent string and after saving,I reset with Ctrl+Shift+Backspace to make it fully work.

Lo and behold,the Hulu site loaded.
    I went to an episode of Family Guy,and when it would have played or instead say my flash is too old,it gave me this...

Hi! We notice that you are trying to access Hulu from Google TV. It's not available, but we're working hard to bring our Hulu Plus subscription service to Google TV! Stay tuned for updates.

"to bring our Hulu Plus"

That is completely unfair to force someone to pay money to watch the freely provided shows!!!

Hulu can eat a sack of Dog $HIT!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Heh, Hulu closed up that work-around long ago. They don't want people watching their free content on a TV, it's as simple as that. With all the commercials in Hulu+ and the fact it doesn't even have all the shows of regular Hulu, it's not worth the $$$ in my book.

I think it's pretty bogus too, but it's their content and they can share it (or not share it) how they want.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hulu works on GTV with the PlayOn workaround in conjunction with a PC. The Hulu web site is not blocked on Chromebooks/Chromebox devices. And Chromecast has the Hulu Plus app.

• Like Like x 2
  4. retroben

retroben Active Member

That does not matter.
    The point is that it would not require a PC at all since the adequate flash version of GTV could easily run Hulu properly 10.1 for Hulu,and 10.2 is the GTV Flash Player version.

BTW,my GS7 is being a prick.
    It was unconsently on (I have it plugged into a friggin uninterruptable power supply) when I went to my room,and it was stuck on the blue circle.
    I had no choice but to unplug it and replug it,and after much frustration of plugging and connect button rebooting...
    The initial setup opened and I frequently get force close messages for Google Service Framework and gapps.
    I completed the setup again and even connected back to the internet,thanks to WPS support on the router.
    Then I had to try the media storage clear fix,but it did not entirely work.
    The Google Chrome browser is working fine and completely intact,including my disabled "Auto show search bar" setting.

I am still getting the force close messages and most apps that normally run properly are force closing as well.
    I had to uninstall memory cleaner 1.4 and re-install it as the 1.6 update to make it stop force closing.
    Can someone help me sort out this major issue.
    My GS7 box is obviously about to crap out.

I truly need a laptop or maybe an Amazon Fire TV directly from BestBuy's physical shelf. Also,a keyboard and mouse.
    Amazingly,I saw an NSZ-GS8 on the physical shelf for $129 at BestBuy as well.

I did not know they were still physically in stores!

So far,I have had my GS7 for over a year.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hulu is licensed for PC only, it doesn't suck at all. Hulu Plus is the service available for streaming devices, also a nice service in my opinion. I use PlayOn for the free service requiring a PC and the Google TV PlayOn app. Chromebook is a laptop and apparently it works with Hulu as will many other PCs. I tried the various workarounds hoping to make the Hulu site think Google TV was a qualifying device but nothing worked for me so I did something that does work.

• Like Like x 2
  6. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Not trying to be a smart a_ _ or anything like that,but since I got the Asus M004U I haven't even fired my Sony GS7 up not the first time.Their chrome store had more apps than you can shake a stick at and it even has ad block plus free and it works across the board even on youtube and facebook.I hope Sony does the right thing and upgrade as Google promised the second generation units had coming.If any is thinking about getting one wait a while as third party sellers are jacking up the price.newegg.com has them for $199 with free shipping.I am watching amazon cause when they get some more in stock I'm gonna get one for the bedroom.At least amazon will sell them for $179 with free shipping.At least you can access the major networks and watch full episodes.Regular Hulu works great also!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  7. retroben

retroben Active Member

You sir, are a correct a_ _ about things.
    Would you try the WiFi Adblocker that I posted about on your Asus M004U just to see if it might actually work better somehow?
    It can even block ads in apps while it can also block forced popups on websites.
    Edit:My mistake that it is for Android while the Asus is a chromebox.

I am thinking about getting a Fire TV to side-load a web browser,emulators plus some other things,and get a hopefully inexspensive keyboard/mouse combo that works on it.
    Maybe I can optimize the quadcore to set affinity with specific apps after the root gets released so maybe a web browser will run more smoothly using two cores or one core.

I hope that someone gutsy enough tries to run Dolphin emu on their Fire TV via sideload to see how fast it can run Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Mike Google never promised the Jellybean update for second generation GTV boxes. Read post number 12 carefully in the following thread and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...swisscom-tv-2-0-new-iptv-based-android-3.html

• Like Like x 2
  9. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Hi Retroben,didn't see a wifi adblocker in the Chrome store.Be great if there was one box does all...... maybe in the future.I understand your point CatfishRivers.Got a new unopened GS7 laying on a shelf hoping down the road I can put it to use or on E Bay if all else fails.Sorta like buying a new car.Until the next year model hits the showroom then you kinda feel short changed.Take care!

10. retroben

retroben Active Member