Quantcast

Hulu solution

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by hamsteak, Oct 31, 2010.

1. hamsteak

hamsteak New Member

Found a workaround to watch Hulu through Google TV by using PlayOn.

You'll have to have PlayOn installed on one of your computers. Once it's set up, go to gtv.playon.tv from your GoogleTV (using Chrome)

It also will allow you to watch CBS, Spike, ESPN, ESPN3, MLB, NFL and a few other web/tv channels. Performance will be based on the power/capabilities of the PC that is running PlayOn.

I am still playing with the media function but it also allows you to play your media through the web interface. It seems like it is playing more formats than going through Logitech's media player. but there is some buffering on large files and the sound isn't as good. They say this is sill in beta so I'm sure there's some improvements that will come.

• Like Like x 2
  2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I've been playing with Play-On, but haven't sprung for the pay version yet. I'm not thrilled with the playback quality, compared to my Roku box, but it does get HULU up on going on my plasma. It begs to question what does GTV give me that Play-On and Roku cannot?...seems GTV may be pointless hardware until it gets apps, since I don't necessarily want the net on my plasma, and don't 'need' search capability. If GTV could give me the same Roku-quality playback on HULU and all the other Play-On stuff, it could be worth it.

3. alphawave7

Just played with Play-On again, and have fiddled with the stream quality settings. Using a beefy laptop dual core, 2GB ram, and still get buffering on Auto, High, and Medium settings..buffered only once on Low, but it's virtually unwatchable video, playback choppy, sound seems out of sync by a few milliseconds. This on a wired connection, 6MB DSL, no other net traffic. To get HD out of Play-On must be quite a feat! :|

4. hamsteak

hamsteak New Member

Was that your media or re-streaming Hulu? Hulu was fine for me, but lots of stuttering and dropouts when I was streaming my media.

I agree that once developers start working and GoogleTV matures it will be a lot better. I guess this is the price of being an early adopter of tech.

5. alphawave7

Hey Hamsteak! I was using the Play-On app on my Roku, which links to the Play-On server on my laptop. I tried to watch the 'new' Hawaii Five-O (what a piece o crap that show is!) and it looked surprisingly good, full-screen, possibly 720p, but of course with fits and restarts every few minutes...extraordinarily maddening to see the same partial scene over and over..so I reduced the quality, and it streamed better, but far less watchable/enjoyable. Roku is on lan, with the lappie, so the lan/wan should not be the issue..bottleneck exists somewhere else, I suspect (Amazon/Netflix movies and content are gorgeous on the Roku).

6. antgod

antgod New Member

Just tried this out, works nice, does buffer alot on some shows

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Try unchecking the Resuming Playback box under playon's General Settings Tab and see if that fixes the buffering problem. I was told to do that when watching Twit live with the twit plugin script and it helped me a lot.

I forgot to add that playon on the roku may have problems since roku does not like users using playon on the roku to watch hulu with and want them to use huluplus instead.

Also the playon solution for choppiness is to pause the playback for a bit and then play later after letting it buffer for a bit from what I read on the forums.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011