Quantcast

Hulu plus

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by jlschwartz, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jlschwartz

jlschwartz New Member

Is there a Google TV app coming for Hulu Plus? I really like Hulu but cannot watch it on my Google TV as the android apps will not work. Is there anything I can do? Help.

2. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Nothing yet for Hulu Plus as far as I know with the Logitech Revue version of Google TV, however, you can access the regular Hulu material (and many other video sites) via PlayOn software. You can find out more information at www.playon.tv

PlayOn lets you watch movies, shows, live sports and more from over 35 channels like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, PBS on your Revue.

They run specials from time to time, I bought 1 year of access for $19.99 during a special offer and have used it for approx. 5 months now.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I will second the recommendation of PlayOn, especially during one of their promotions. I purchased a lifetime PlayOn and lifetime PlayLater license. As far as if or when Google TV will get Hulu Plus, I doni't have a guess.

4. ge0n

ge0n New Member

can anyone confirm hulu plus still works with playon? i'm trying to run it on my logitech revue but it tells me it can't play the video.
    thanks

5. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

6. ge0n

ge0n New Member

oh ok. thanks tinman. i can't even watch normal hulu on the revue so i'm thinking something must have changed. oh well. thanks.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hey, now ya got me confused! PlayOn, correct me if I'm wrong, is a downloadable program for a PC, Android Phone, and whatever compatible devices are out there. But, it is NOT compatible w/the Logitech Revue. And unless I got it wrong, the orig post was in reference to being able to play Hulu directly from a site or App. Not stream from a PC. I went to the site and they had a special notice for all incompatible devices like my Revue.

Just trying to clear my head...

Carl

8. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Carlszone you're correct and incorrect at the same time regarding PlayOn.

As you stated PlayOn will not run as a stand alone app on the review nor can you stream FROM a Revue to another device with it,
    BUT you can run PlayOn on a laptop and stream to the Revue (which of course then gets your stream onto your TV) and other devices.

I use my PlayOn subscription to stream to two TV's one hooked up to a Logitech Revue and the other to a Roku LT box. Between Playon, the Revue, Roku, a Netflix subscription, and my Amazon Prime account I got enough video programming to keep everyone in the house happy and dropped my cable TV account.

• Like Like x 2
  9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

10. ChrisG8

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

With the roku , it is one of the devices that supports Hulu plus natively without the need of playon :) So you could use the playon app for your nook color or nook tablet or kindle firel or the tons of other devices that support playon and use the roku with hulu plus and netflix and I think even amazon if you have amazon plus.

12. ChrisG8

For $40 more, $129 getting both PlayOn and PlayLater lifetime license along with a better streaming box, the Roku 2 XD is an even better deal although again I would prefer just the credit for the Roku price rather than actually get the Roku.

13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

ChrisG8, I switch between plex and playon all the time and like them both as they work on a ton of devices. If you just want the playon without the roku, I suggest you wait for a Christmas or New Year's sale. Last time they had a sale on both playon and playlater lifetime licenses for 99 bucks I think without the roku. Also I have seen the playon lifetime license for 49.99 without the rokus on such sales as well. Either way the original creator of the thread hopefully will read all of the above comments and make a decision based on what was posted.

Basically there at the moment is no way to watch hulu on google tv without using a computer as a go between. Actually there is one way to watch hulu without using a computer as a go between and that is to buy a nas and install the plex software on it and use the nas as the server. Until hulu stops discriminating tactics on google tv owners dnla servers are the only way to go.

Hard to believe google tv has no hulu plus but my dad's tv which is a samsung tv has hulu plus app on it :p

14. ChrisG8

I have purchased both PlayOn and Plex but only use PlayOn so far. I did purchase it during a promotion but was able to get a credit, rather than the Roku when I made the purchase since I didn't want the Roku. I also purchased a PlayLater lifetime license.

15. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Same here. I bought it more then once for a friend as a gift . I love using playon to watch the morning after show on hulu as well as watching some of the upcoming fall tv trailers on it as well.

16. ChickenBaconSwiss

ChickenBaconSwiss New Member

Playon works with Hulu Plus if you are logged into your Hulu Plus account through PlayON settings. I have been using PlayON with Hulu since before Hulu+ was started. I've been a H+ subscriber since the first day I got access to it. There was a problem during season finale week where Hulu Desktop stopped functioning and caused Hulu/Hulu+ to stop functioning with PlayON because PlayON pulls Hulus information from Hulu Desktop. As for being able to use PlayON with my Logitech Revue I have never been able to accomplish that. None of the video files will show up so I take it that the codec that PlayON uses is not supported on the Logitech Revue.

17. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

I use PlayOn with my Revue all the time. I stream channels from the PlayOn channel store and several private channels of additional information that are linked to on the PlayOn site. I have never tried to stream my own files via the PlayOn so I can't vouch as to whether or not that portion of the PlayOn service would work with the Revue.

18. ChrisG8

I also use PlayOn often with Google TV, both the Logitech Revue and Sony NSZ-GT1. I think it works great.

19. ChickenBaconSwiss

ChickenBaconSwiss New Member

I know that you can use the Revue to access PlayON in the Chrome browser but I personally never liked the browser interface when it was released on the Wii. I should have been more clear on that but I usually prefer DLNA over the website via flash. I've been spoiled by my PS3. If you know any other method of using playon via the Revue i'm all ears. I like to learn new things.

20. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I have streamed files from my computer to the google tv and other devices. To do this, make sure you install the vlc program first - you can download it from VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! - once you install it, you click the playon icon on your desktop to get to the playon settings.

Now click the "My Media" tab and put a check mark in the enable my media box. Then click the add button to add the folders with your files you want to stream. Clicking options will allow you to tell playon what type of files playon will use directplay with and not transcode those types.