Quantcast

Hulu Officially Announces Its New CEO, Former Fox Exec Mike Hopkins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 17, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hulu officially announces its new CEO, former Fox exec Mike Hopkins (click for full article)

by Richard Lawler - Oct. 17, 2013

-- Hulu has had a tumultuous 2013, as it lost founding CEO Jason Kilar in January, then went through the sale process, again, before sticking with its original owners, again. Confirming last week's rumors from Bloomberg and Reuters, the new CEO is Mike Hopkins, most recently head of distribution for Fox. He replaces acting CEO Andy Forssell, who took the wheel in March after Kilar's departure. In his introductory letter to the team, Hopkins mentioned Hulu expects "close to a billion dollars" in revenue this year, along with a rising number of Hulu Plus subscribers.

Part-owners Disney and News Corp (Comcast retains a stake after its purchase of NBC Universal, but can't vote) reportedly disagreed on the site's future, with Disney preferring an advertising-based approach. Appointing Hopkins as the new leader suggests News Corp's reported focus on subscriptions is taking priority, and there's speculation that Hulu will become more deeply involved in TV Everywhere authenticated viewing based on cable and satellite TV subscriptions. Hulu has long pitched itself as complementary to cable, we'll see if its apps end up looking more like the BTN2GO and Fox Now apps that Hopkins' team at Fox worked on.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Bad news for cord cutters?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is the way it sounds to me. I like the free Hulu a lot, it may be complementary to pay cable TV but it is also a great complementary service to free OTA. I know people complain about the options available now for internet TV but as far as content available for free or very cheap, I think this will be looked back on as the golden age in a few years.

4. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

The 'news' will be 'fair and balanced' :D