Quantcast

Hulu Makes Its Free Content Available In Updated Android App

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 31, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

It's being reported that when the Hulu Plus android app is sideloaded onto the Hisense Vision Jellybean televisions - the free TV shows aren't available (see link below). The app tells GTV users they must purchase a Hulu Plus subscription to view any content. It's kind of looking like Hulu is at it again and blocking content from GTV. (Well the Hisense Vision android TV is not officially referred to as GTV - it's Hisense Vision powered by android but nonetheless it's Google's TV platform.)

Hulu has updated its app for Android that allows some free content. +Matt Lane…

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Not surprising.

That is the drawback of all the set top boxes to date. Whether it is GTV, Apple TV or Android TV, the limited access to content remains the same. Set top boxes are supposed to make streaming content more convenient. But all I've experienced so far are boxes that add the headache factor to my entertainment efforts.

I've switched from the concept of HDMI access & have gone back to using a monitor. VGA allows for better screen resolution and limits filtering of cable/OTA broadcasts. And I never have to worry about a youtube video not playing because it is content not meant for TV.

For the first time since hooking up my Logitech Revue I am now watching ESPN 3 w/the four Video Quality bars lit up. I thought the dropping of video quality was a quirk w/the site. Turns out it was the dang Revue & GS-7 dropping the bandwidth every few minutes.

Come on Google, ya'll can do better than this...

Carl

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'll have to see if my Android dongle can handle it. :)

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yep, my Android Dongle can show the free Hulu content. The PlayStation version refuses to do anything without a Plus subscription.

6. CatfishRivers

Even with a Hulu Plus subscription - I don't think the sideloaded official Hulu Plus app works on the GTV Jellybean televisions. I recall a thread from EricD back in November - and he mentioned that Hulu Plus blocks GTV so he was using a special modded Hulu Plus app from XDA Developers on his LG GTV television. He mentioned that in order to get it to work he had to change his user agent. (The modded app crashed a lot so it wasn't a very good alternative to the official android app.).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Catfish

Has anyone tried going to the IMDB website and accessing it there? We are talking about what, 3 yrs of them blocking GTV?

Some common sense has to be added to the mix....