Quantcast

Hulu CEO Resigns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hulu Blog

I hope the next guy lights a fire under the butts of the team responsible for bringing Hulu Plus to Google TV.

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Chris, one way I used that worked quite well on MSNTV 2 is to overload their support page & phone lines w/requests. I simply started a thread and asked folks to post problems and we all called or sent in requests. This worked great w/ the MSTV 2 Report a problem feature. Before i knew it we had over a hundred folks posting that they had reported all the problems on our list. Works better than the voting I've seen going on. Start a thread with the appropriate support link & ask users to post when they have made a request. This should work for Vudu/Hulu plus and may even speed up AIV HD app developement.

These companies recognize numbers not votes. And no company wants a record number of unanswered requests on their support page.

Just a thought...

Carl

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

From everything that I read about it, the CEO Jason Kilar was not the bad guy preventing a Hulu Plus app on GTV. He was rather progressive in his understanding that the internet was something that the big media companies needed to embrace - however he was met with resistance from the heads of the TV Networks.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ChrisG8

I don't know what the hold up is, I did send Hulu a request to support Google TV when I dropped Hulu Plus explaining why I dropped the service. I have since purchased a Roku box with a good Hulu Plus app and my PS3 has a good Hulu Plus app, conceding Hulu Plus on Google TV is not happening anytime soon. I don't really understand the Hulu Plus business model, I thought ad supported programming benefits from more viewers, not less viewers but these guys may know something more than I do.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chris

Unfortunately it is not that simple. From all I've read, it is not so much Hulu or the other content providers. The advertising revenue just isn't there. Advertisers know that users can skip ads at will. So overall they don't have any incentive to provide ads for web-based content. Hence. we see the same ads ad nauseum (Tsk Tsk, bad pun) on most web-sites. But user demand will often change the dynamics. A company might be enticed to take a loss to enlarge their viewer audience.

They need to be flooded w/requests. Look at this group. We definitely got the numbers. Appeal to yer fellow GTV users to bombard all these sites that either block our devices & TVs or fail to allow equal access. And don't forget about the networks.

Carl

6. ChrisG8

I am sure you are right, ad revenue isn't much yet and we sure do see the same ads over and over again with Hulu but as far as users skipping ads, the only way I know is to record the program before hand and I didn't think many were doing that yet. I sure don't know the answer to making the business model work but whatever it is, more viewers should be part of the solution.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hulu Dropping 3 Original Series And 6 Exclusive Titles In 2013 (click for full article)

"Hulu will lose its longtime CEO sometime in the next few months, but that's not stopping the eminent distribution platform. They have announced a varied slate of new programs set to debut in 2013, with offerings ranging between original series and locally-distributed international series.

In total, nine new offerings have been unveiled, three original and six exclusive. The original series include a dark office comedy called The Wrong Mans, which should be similar to the platform's Spy series. There is also a documentary series about sports mascots called Behind the Mask and a comedy series titled The Awesomes and co-written by Seth Meyers. Looks like Hulu has the celebrity writers needed to keep up with Amazon Studios' comedy push.

As for the exclusive series, they continue Hulu's international flair with 3 British series, a French series, and an Israeli series among the six new offerings. In addition, the six previewed series run the gamut from high-minded drama to lowbrow comedy. Dramatic offerings include French cop series Braquo and Israeli thriller Prisoners of War. Light-hearted shows include the animated Mother Up, starring Eva Longoria, and Pramface, a comedy about a teen mom. Somewhere in the middle, there's British high school dramedy Fresh Meat and British Jersey Shore imitator The Only Way Is Essex.

The nine new shows prove Hulu is coming out firing on all cylinders. Despite Jason Kilar's departure, the premium distribution engine seems primed to crank out twelve more solid months and improve on last year's $700 million revenue."

8. frozengal

frozengal New Member

ya i agree with you.. he is not a bad guy