Quantcast

Huh, HBO Gave Google a Copyright Takedown Request For... VLC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Huh, HBO Gave Google a Copyright Takedown Request for... VLC (click for full article)

by Casey Chan - July 16, 2013

"VLC is not a TV show. Nor is it a movie. Nor is it a music album. Nor is it anything but open source software that the entire Internet knows as the greatest video player in all the lands. HBO, however, apparently doesn't know that. The It's Not TV TV company recently sent Google a takedown request for VLC citing copyright infringement."

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know what VLC is either but I do know that I have ended up at pirate sites on Google TV and seen requests to download the VLC player to be able to play the videos, which can't be done with Google TV. I don't know if the player is used for legitimate sites or not. If the argument is it is a legitimate tool with lawful uses, then I would expect Warner to be aware of that as will Google and the request can be ignored.

3. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

VLC is arguably the best media player available for multiple platforms. Just because VLC can be used to play media that may be pirated doesn't mean that's what it's always used for. If it were so, then Windows Media player, ViMu, etc should all be taken down or why not just take Google down altogether since Google can be used to find pirated media.

These large media companies will throw all sorts of sh!t to be taken down and wish for the best on what sticks.

• Like Like x 4
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

So hopefully VLC will work with GTV after the Jellybean update -:)

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChrisG8

Show me one site using VLC that is legitimate, I have never seen one. I am sure there are legal uses for a crack pipe, perhaps blowing soap bubbles or something else but I think crack pipes are primarily used to smoke crack, an illegal use, is VLC about the same? I really don't know since I have been playing videos and various media for a long time and never used VLC. I do use Windows Media Player and ViMu.

6. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Not the same.
    Website aren't "using vlc" at all. The ads you are seeing are probably just using the vlc brand name to get you to install some malware or something.
    Vlc has been around for quite a while now and is very popular. It's a media player that has support for pretty much any codec that you can throw at it.
    It's no different than using Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, RealPlayer, Vimu, Winamp, MX Player, aVia, etc.
    Hence the reason it's so ridiculous that HBO submitted this request.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisG8

The pirate sites I recall required VLC player to play the videos, or least I was led to believe that, but I have never attempted to download the player. You are saying it is a free player, handles a lot of codecs without paying any licensing and is perfectly legal? I suspect it is in fact in violation of many copyright and patent licensing requirements and I also suspect the Warner attorneys are better versed in the legal requirements than we are and better versed than the author of the huh article.

I believe software players are covered under legal licensing requirements, although I don't know the specifics. If the player can make a device, not properly licensed to play DTS handle DTS, for example, it is in violation. We can follow the story and find the reasoning behind the request, I will wait for the facts and legal arguments but my feeling is Warner is probably right, finding the player to be infringing will be easy.

I don't believe Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, ViMu, or aVia are the same sort of player and I don't know anything about the others. I just did a quick search of VLC legal issues and got this hit but there were dozens. I didn't bother to read much but I don't think the situation is as you describe it, not by a long shot.

VideoLAN - VideoLAN - And the issue of software patents