Quantcast

HTML5 Video At Netflix

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 17, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Netflix Tech Blog: HTML5 Video at Netflix (click for full Netflix blog)

by Anthony Park and Mark Watson - April 15, 2013

"Today, we're excited to talk about proposed extensions to HTML5 video that enable playback of premium video content on the web.

We currently use Microsoft Silverlight to deliver streaming video to web browsers on the PC and Mac. It provides a high-quality streaming experience and lets us easily experiment with improvements to our adaptive streaming algorithms. But since Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2021, we need to find a replacement some time within the next 8 years. We'd like to share some progress we've made towards our goal of moving to HTML5 video."

2. KenP

KenP New Member

From what I understand, the encryption layer they mention is a form of DRM. That seems a step backwards to me.

3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

Netflix moves toward HTML5 video for Windows 8.1, still nothing (official) for Linux - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - June 27, 2013

"Netflix is taking a big step toward moving away from Microsoft Silverlight technology to stream videos to your web browser. The company has announced that you can now stream videos in HTML5... if you're using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1.

While HTML5 is a web standard used by most modern web browsers, Netflix relies on a few technologies that aren't yet widely available, which means that it may be a long time before you can stream videos in other web browsers or on other operating systems.

In other words, if you're running Ubuntu, Fedora, or another GNU/Linux operating system, you're probably going to keep needing complicated workarounds to stream Netflix videos for the foreseeable future."

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

This is so dumb!

I don't see any real difference between using the Windows 8 App, streaming directly from the website or using the Netflix app on my GS7. I hate Silverlight. On some sites the video doesn't expand to full screen or sometimes on HD videos it stretches beyond my HDTV screen no matter what the resolution. Other times I get an error msg that my resolution is too low to play a video.

Standardized streaming is a must on the big boy streaming sites like Netflix, Youtube and Redbox. Amazon Prime & Instant Video is also another site that benefits from being able to be streamed via multiple browsers & devices w/out the need for apps.

I like apps. But only for streamlining preferences. I hate having to depend on them to access sites that should be accessible via the browser. These companies are trying to compete in a market where proprietary software continues to defeat the purpose of the customer service ideal of ease of use.

JMHO

Carl

6. CatfishRivers

I gather the reason that Netflix HTML5 doesn't currently run on Linux is because of Netflix's stringent DRM requirements.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Remember the chaos & utter confusion in the days of competing media players. My first computer I kept having to download individual players for different sites. CNN had their own multiple windows player. (Which I loved by the way) Then there was Apple's Quicktime free version w/the Itune ads that were disguised as updates to the player. You had Windows media player that was just as hard to keep up w/which format was relevant for the next few months. Then the Wave/Mepeg content. Then came the individually owned media players required on many sites. And then came, thankfully, Adobe Flash...

All that downloading was a disaster waiting to happen as it left yer machine vulnerable to exe.files & every sort of malware & virus ever unleashed on the internet. This is one of the main reasons I became a small client device enthusiast.

Keep posting these interesting articles, Catfish Rivers...

Take Care

Carl